• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VLTTP: Super Mario Sunshine!

rekameohs

Banned
Super Mario Bros. 2 and Super Mario Sunshine are the only two crap mainline Mario games.

And I disagree with this, assuming you're talking about the worldwide Mario 2, and not the Japanese one. Japanese Mario 2's not very good compared to the original. :p

I thought Mario 2 was one of those game with a lot of new ideas that worked out really well. It's also notable for introducing a ton of now mainstream Mario enemies, and it has a great soundtrack. That's an argument for another thread, though.

maharg

idspispopd
And I disagree with this, assuming you're talking about the worldwide Mario 2, and not the Japanese one. Japanese Mario 2's not very good. :p

I thought Mario 2 was one of those game with a lot of new ideas that worked out really well. It's also notable for introducing a ton of now mainstream Mario enemies, and it has a great soundtrack. That's an argument for another thread, though.

The only way to see Mario 2 as a bad game is to just be pissy that it wasn't much like Mario 1 or 3. I had that reaction when I was a kid because I was an idiot, but looking back it's a pretty damn fantastic game, actually.

Really enjoyed playing SM Sunshine at the beginning but the longer I played it felt like the game designers lost focus and I eventually lost interest.

SM64 had consistent design throughout which Sunshine was lacking in a bad way.

DonMigs85

You guys seriously thought Conor 419 was being serious? Ahahaha
I'm sure the game was already well into development even before GTAIII became a smash hit.
I'm pretty sure he's at least semi-sarcastic or trolling

Chris R

My favorite 3D mario game, but that might be because it is the only one I've finished. Never minded fludd, camera was wonky at some times but the game was fun.

DjRoomba

Banned
Game is cool, but also weird, a little too weird. Fludd sucks, voice acting in Mario sucks, Mario Wii U needs to be a next gen version of SM64

demidar

I like it more than Super Mario Galaxy (haven't played SMG2) because it was a direct evolution of SM64 i.e. one large hub level with lots of secrets and NPCs with open world-ish, non-linear levels. And those FLUDD-less challenges were great, music got across the tropical theme pretty well and rife with bright colours. All the levels were pretty memorable, my favourite is probably Noki Bay.

I didn't have any issues with the voice acting...it was just there and blended in well enough for my comfort.

I really love Sirena Beach...so serene and lovely.

Pre

I really enjoy it, especially the aesthetics and music. It's definitely harder than the other 3D Mario games (especially those platform levels without FLUDD), but I really admire that Nintendo switched things up like that.

I think that Galaxy is clearly better, but I'd rank Sunshine ahead of 64.

chrislowe

I have never been a big Mario fan, i liked Mario 3DS, and I liked Yoshis Island (if that counts).

Just tried Super Mario Sunshine, and i really think its a great game the little ive played.
I think it feels more like those Sonic Adventure-games then GTA actually :)

Graphics looks really nice actually, but yeah the voice-acting is terrible :)

Top Bottom