• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VP Mike Pence pulls a Pinocchio about his record on gay ‘cures’ and HIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

Mike Pence is trying to rewrite history again about his record on HIV.

ABC’s 20/20 recently carried out an investigation of “conversion therapy” in the US, and Pence’s murky past on the issue.

The investigation looked at the fringe extremist religious groups who support attempts to ‘cure’ gay people.

Many of them told ABC that they see an ally in Pence, who famously once suggested on a campaign website that HIV prevention funding be drained in order to fund state-sponsored ‘gay cure’ therapy.

In a statement to the outlet, Pence’s spokesperson failed to disavow the practice, but claimed that “any assertion that Vice President-elect Pence supported or advocated for conversion therapy is patently false and is a mischaracterization of language”.

They added: “The Vice President-elect has a long record of supporting efforts to reduce the spread of HIV/AIDS, was also a strong supporter of AIDS Africa relief legislation (known as PEPFAR) and, as Governor of Indiana, provided strong and compassionate leadership to confront an HIV epidemic in Southern Indiana in 2015.”

Pence’s claims about his record have been dismissed by the Human Rights Campaign as a flagrant attempt to rewrite history.

Alternative facts?

Wilsongt

Alternate facts.

In other news, a prominant gay conversion therapist died recently. Good riddance, despite how malicious that sounds against another human being.

slabrock

Banned
lol Pence is so full of shit. His first choice to stop the aids epidemic in southern Indiana was to pray. The whole cause of the epidemic was use of dirty needles and he wouldn't allow needle exchanges because it was against his morality

L Thammy

Is this "mischaracterization of language" like "I meant something else and didn't state things correctly" or is it like "I actually said exactly what you said I did but what you didn't realize was that I was speaking Esperanto"?

Well, at least there is some good in denying despite how full of shit he is? He knows that it's no longer suitable to support gay conversion therapy? Maybe I am too optimistic.

MarionCB

Pence lying again. We all know his history and he can't deny it.

Why doesn't he condemn the practice now? Because he still believes in it. The only thing that has changed is he thinks it's better to hide his support at this point in time.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I'm okay with this. If only because it means he recognizes it as an unpopular opinion, and he probably won't try to push it as an actual policy when he's inevitably president.

Mahonay

Banned
I'm okay with this. If only because it means he recognizes it as an unpopular opinion, and he probably won't try to push it as an actual policy when he's inevitably president.

Q1wu9SS.gif

Whether he thinks it's politically smart to reveal it or not, if the vice president of the US supports the torture of gay minors then no, it's not fucking OK.

While that's one possibility, he may also use it to try and obfuscate potential support for other practices down the line. Ie, claim he has no involvement with shady shit, so this dubious stuff is clearly on the level.

Sapiens

Money on mike pence having blown his fair share of dudes and then blaming satan immediately afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom