• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Want a new PC

GeekyDad

Nothing fancy. I don't plan on doing much gaming with it, really. I just want something to replace my current PC, which is pretty old now (eight years, I think?). My current PC only has 4GB of RAM, and runs like...well, me -- an old man. Only wanna spend $250-300 (USD).

Help me please. I was looking at something like this:

I don't even need a new monitor or accessories, and I have a large plug-in hard-drive that still has ample space. Is this kind of a decent ballpark? Please make realistic recommendations. And no, thank you, though I enjoy my iPhone, I don't want to use one as a PC.

Thank you

ntropy

feels game of thrones GIF

Kilau

That listing is awful, conflicting model numbers and the reviews complain about getting different components.

If your budget is that low refurbished is probably your best bet but you might have better luck on eBay.

Check slickdeals and that price range, might get lucky, if nothing else the comments are typically brutal toward a product if it’s subpar.

Artoris

Gold Member
My present pc has grown out of a computer which I bought before 2000 there have been so many changes that I am not sure if there is anything original part left

I use it to play any pre steam games

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
In that price range you're probably only looking at mini-PC's with a Celeron, stuff designed for industry or niche purposes, like a Beelink:

It ain't pretty (limitations like having a max 30Hz output), but it's cheap, and if all you're doing is web browsing, light work, and the like with very light multitasking, it's more than fine. Just don't expect it to be all that hot in several years.

Personally I'd just bite the bullet and spend $500 - $600 on a mini PC with modern components that will last for another eight or nine years.

GeekyDad

That listing is awful, conflicting model numbers and the reviews complain about getting different components.

If your budget is that low refurbished is probably your best bet but you might have better luck on eBay.

Check slickdeals and that price range, might get lucky, if nothing else the comments are typically brutal toward a product if it’s subpar.
What should I be looking for? I was hoping to have about 16 gigs of ram, so it doesn't get bottlenecked so quickly when surfing the web and such.
In that price range you're probably only looking at mini-PC's with a Celeron, stuff designed for industry or niche purposes, like a Beelink:

It ain't pretty (limitations like having a max 30Hz output), but it's cheap, and if all you're doing is web browsing, light work, and the like with very light multitasking, it's more than fine. Just don't expect it to be all that hot in several years.

Personally I'd just bite the bullet and spend $500 - $600 on a mini PC with modern components that will last for another eight or nine years.
Yeah, I'm starting to see that. :( Normally, I wouldn't be that frugal, but medical expenses in the last couple of years have been...breaking me. My wife got me a new Switch for Xmas, which I didn't ask for (plus two new games), but I couldn't say anything but "thank you" and smile. She goes overboard for the holidays. She does our finances, and says we're fine, but man, I don't like going crazy like that. I just want what I need.

So, in that price range, got anything(s) I should take a look at?

BadBurger

What should I be looking for? I was hoping to have about 16 gigs of ram, so it doesn't get bottlenecked so quickly when surfing the web and such.

Yeah, I'm starting to see that. :( Normally, I wouldn't be that frugal, but medical expenses in the last couple of years have been...breaking me. My wife got me a new Switch for Xmas, which I didn't ask for (plus two new games), but I couldn't say anything but "thank you" and smile. She goes overboard for the holidays. She does our finances, and says we're fine, but man, I don't like going crazy like that. I just want what I need.

So, in that price range, got anything(s) I should take a look at?

No, but I'll keep an eye out for you

GeekyDad

NP. Also that Beelink I posted earlier at $269 USD, just now went on sale for $228.65 USD on Amazon. That's dirt-ass cheap for the specs.
Thing is, though, is it also only has 4 gigs of ram. Won't that kinda been a sideways move?

Under System Information, this is what it tells me my PC has:

HP: 100-210
Processor AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics, 1500 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB

As well other info, of course.

BadBurger

Thing is, though, is it also only has 4 gigs of ram. Won't that kinda been a sideways move?

Under System Information, this is what it tells me my PC has:

HP: 100-210
Processor AMD A4-5000 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics, 1500 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB

As well other info, of course.

The one I linked has 8GB of DDR4 RAM, not 4GB of RAM. So it should have double the memory, at a not-insignificant faster clock and slightly lower power usage.

With what you want to spend, you should just put an SSD in your current laptop and call it a day. How much was the old laptop when purchased?

Also, HDD only last so long. I expect that your old drive might be on its last leg as well. Cloud storage is the answer.

Trust me, you want an SSD.

• Intel Core i5 6th Gen 6500T (2.50GHz)
  • 8 GB
  • 256 GB SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • No Screen
  • Intel HD Graphics 530
  • $350
  • 8GB DDR4
  • 256 GB SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • No Screen
  • Intel HD Graphics 530
  • $301
  • Intel Core i5 7th Gen 7500T (2.70GHz)
  • 16 GB
  • 256 GB SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
  • Intel HD Graphics 630
  • $349
  • Dell Optiplex 3050
  • Tower Form Factor
  • Intel Core i5-7500 3.40GHz
  • 16GB RAM
  • 256GB SSD
  • ^Windows 10 Pro
  • $337

• Lenovo ThinkCentre M900 Small Form Factor PC,
  • Intel Quad Core i5-6500 up to 3.6GHz,
  • 16G DDR4, 1T SSD,
  • WiFi,
  • BT 4.0,
  • DVD,
  • Windows 10

Last edited:

Kilau

This is your current system?

Don’t stress too much over RAM, 8GB is what most systems you’re looking at will have. Just want to make sure you can upgrade because in laptops they often solder in half the RAM limiting your upgrade options. Even then, 8GB isn’t a deal breaking for a computer that’s not being used for intense games.

If the budget is strict just shop by price and check the reviews on any options or run it by us.

Almost anything you find will be a significant upgrade over that CPU and I echo the SSD recommendation.

Don’t stress too much over RAM, 8GB is what most systems you’re looking at will have. Just want to make sure you can upgrade because in laptops they often solder in half the RAM limiting your upgrade options. Even then, 8GB isn’t a deal breaking for a computer that’s not being used for intense games.

If the budget is strict just shop by price and check the reviews on any options or run it by us.

Almost anything you find will be a significant upgrade over that CPU and I echo the SSD recommendation.
Those AMD APU's can be slow as hell, my dad bought a laptop for $250 and it could barely run Edge Browser without lagging.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
You are better off waiting until you can afford a little more. Maybe invest in an SSD for the time being. $400 - $500 will get you a decent-ish laptop with a huge bump in performance.
I picked up this guy recently on sale for $500 for example:
MSI Computer GF63 Thin 10SCXR-222 15.6" 8GB 256GB Intel Core i5-10300H X4 2.5GHz Win10, Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08YRZ2LLJ/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Last edited:

eddie4

Genuinely Generous
Dell OptiPlex 5040 SFF $449 - Dell OptiPlex 5040 Small Form Factor, 1x Intel Core i5 Quad (i5-6600) 3.30 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD,
Use Coupon MLK2022DEAL for $201 with free shipping ends up being $269 + tax in applicable states.
You can swap out the HDD or add an SSD for ~$50

Last edited:

GeekyDad

With what you want to spend, you should just put an SSD in your current laptop and call it a day. How much was the old laptop when purchased?

Also, HDD only last so long. I expect that your old drive might be on its last leg as well. Cloud storage is the answer.

Trust me, you want an SSD.

• 8 GB
  • 256 GB SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • No Screen
  • Intel HD Graphics 530
  • $350
  • 8GB DDR4
  • 256 GB SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • No Screen
  • Intel HD Graphics 530
  • $301
  • Intel Core i5 7th Gen 7500T (2.70GHz)
  • 16 GB
  • 256 GB SSD
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
  • Intel HD Graphics 630
  • $349
  • Dell Optiplex 3050
  • Tower Form Factor
  • Intel Core i5-7500 3.40GHz
  • 16GB RAM
  • 256GB SSD
  • ^Windows 10 Pro
  • $337

• Lenovo ThinkCentre M900 Small Form Factor PC,
  • Intel Quad Core i5-6500 up to 3.6GHz,
  • 16G DDR4, 1T SSD,
  • WiFi,
  • BT 4.0,
  • DVD,
  • Windows 10

I should have specified, sorry. It's a desktop. I have a laptop, though, and I never use it. I think we paid about $400 for my current desktop.

I should have specified, sorry. It's a desktop. I have a laptop, though, and I never use it. I think we paid about $400 for my current desktop.
All those options are desktops, if you're wondering. The one with the 7500 7th gen intel @ 3.4Ghz is great even though it has a smaller drive. The 7500T is more of the laptop equivalent.

Last edited:

n0razi

Someone is like 2 years late to buying a PC lol... the same specs that were $500 2 years ago is probably $1000 now lol

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I think posters are exaggerating a bit. If you dont need a GPU and are happy with integrated graphics, I think PCs are still relatively good priced.

I assume you want prebuilt and you dont want to build it yourself?

Tams

Get a used S21 or S20 FE and use it as a PC with Samsung Dex

DeX is meh. It's better than all the other mobile OS alternatives, but when I switched back to Windows from using DeX, it was like weight fell off my shoulders. And I really did try to like it.

Rickyiez

DeX is meh. It's better than all the other mobile OS alternatives, but when I switched back to Windows from using DeX, it was like weight fell off my shoulders. And I really did try to like it.
Well its better than running Windows on low end processors like Celeron or entry-level AMD APU . At least with Android it's guaranteed to media consume smoothly .

Tams

Well its better than running Windows on low end processors like Celeron or entry-level AMD APU . At least with Android it's guaranteed to media consume smoothly .
I'd honestly rather use a Celeron (and that brand name is even muddier now, as recent Celerons aren't that bad).

It's just a better UX than the sandboxed apps (that allow next to no modification) and poorly adapted UI.

My Fold has 12GB of RAM. DeX would still limit open apps, not even open some apps on an external monitor, and sometimes even sleep them.

GeekyDad

Well, to be honest, though in my younger years I would have been into upgrading and expanding and all that, these days I just want a good, out-of-the-box computer that will run smoothly the basics: Youtube, Facebook, GAF (of course); you know, several tabs of Firefox without slowing down when I leave them open together for more than a couple of hours.

Top Bottom