• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

War Machine (Brad Pitt Netflix Movie) is a perfect "made for TV" movie

I watched War Machine on Netflix today simply because it was something recent that was available in Dolby Vision and I was pleasantly surprised. Sure, I understand why it currently stands at 57% on Rotten Tomatoes, there's nothing out of ordinary here. But I think it's being (unfairly?) judged as an actual movie theater release.

Netflix is doing something awesome here. It is reinventing what made for TV movie could be about. It's not something "artsy" that could come out on HBO and it's not typical crap that you would catch on typical cable channel. It's somewhere in the middle. It got me to research the US involvement in Afghanistan (again) without feeling like it's a waste of time. I hope Netflix does more of this. It would suck is nobody watches it...

Kas

I just watched Whiskey Tango Foxtrot today, and it made me curious if this had come out.

I'll have to give it a watch.

OP you're not exactly selling it with that description.

My goal is not necessarily to sell this movie... It's more about a new approach to what Netflix is capable of. If you weren't interested in war in Afghanistan, this move wont change your mind. But it's kind of awesome that Netflix is investing in that kind of stuff. I hope to see more.

EDIT: I like HBO, but it has different approach to movies :)

I'll check this out. Pitt's acting in the trailer was kind of a turn off, but the general premise seems interesting.

Yeah, he's kind of over-acting. It's one of the reasons why it felt like "made for TV movie". But I think it's still worth watching if you are interested in subject matter. And "over-acting" makes it more fun to watch :)

Fury451

Banned
I'll check this out. Pitt's acting in the trailer was kind of a turn off, but the general premise seems interesting.

I haven't seen the movie myself yet, but from what I understand he supposed to be portraying something of a caricature, and his acting is intentional. According to the reviews I've seen at least.

How is it being judged unfairly? A movie is a movie, "TV movies" don't deserve a handicap.

If I saw this in a movie theater I would be disappointed... I feel like expectations are different for a movie theater. This feel like a good episode of Homeland that stands on its own. It's still worth watching though.

I actually thought it was pretty good as a legit movie. The only thing that brought it down for me was the narration for the first hour of the movie. It was completely unnecessary and told you exactly how you're supposed to feel in that moment. Remove the narration and it goes from a C+ to a B+ easy. But besides that it was a solid black comedy with an intense final 20 minutes, even if it didn't look like it should've cost $60 mill.

I actually thought it was pretty good as a legit movie. The only thing that brought it down for me was the narration for the first hour of the movie. It was completely unnecessary and told you exactly how you're supposed to feel in that moment. Remove the narration and it goes from a C+ to a B+ easy. But besides that it was a solid black comedy with an intense final 20 minutes, even if it didn't look like it should've cost $60 mill.

Was $59 million of that Brad Pitt salary? What did they spend all that money on?!!! :)

It kind of makes me disappointed that they can't keep budget reasonable on this type of movie. It really didn't even look that good in Dolby Vision. Typical episode of Grand Tour looks better in HDR...

Was $59 million of that Brad Pitt salary? What did they spend all that money on?!!! :)

It kind of makes me disappointed that they can't keep budget reasonable on this type of movie. It really didn't even look that good in Dolby Vision. Typical episode of Grand Tour looks better in HDR...

I have a feeling they shot A LOT of other footage that was left on the cutting room floor. It seems like the movie was originally going to bounce around to different characters but in the end they decided to focus mainly on just Brad Pitt's character. But still, that budget is ridiculous.

If I saw this in a movie theater I would be disappointed... I feel like expectations are different for a movie theater. This feel like a good episode of Homeland that stands on its own. It's still worth watching though.

It was actually made for theaters originally. Netflix happened to pick up the rights though, probably for the better though.

A lot of feature directors, when they're supervising the Dolby Vision/HDR version of their film, end up wanting it to look exactly the same.

Top Bottom