• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warrior | Game of Thrones meets The Raid in 1870s San Francisco

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Yeah, I think my title is pretty accurate

Warrior-HBO-Max-serie-saison-3.jpeg

From the creator of Banshee and based on the writings of Bruce Lee.

"Set during the Tong Wars in late 1870s San Francisco, the series follows Ah Sahm, a martial arts prodigy who emigrates from China in search of his sister, only to be sold to one of the most powerful tongs in Chinatown."

Not a very well known series, I wanted to share because it's really, REALLY good and season 3 just kicked off. It has it all: incredible and bloody action sequences, a perfect cast, very good cinematography and the story is full of twists and turns.
And it keeps getting better and better. Joe Taslim from The Raid is also in this but the whole cast is really solid. Give this show a try for real!

BothRipeFlyingfish-max-1mb.gif

jason10mm

Gold Member
I like it quite a bit. They trail off the nudity after the first few eps but most of these shows do that. But the fights are just.....damn. Better than most theatrical work for sure. I love how they handle the languages, I wonder if the actors get a kick out of speaking "engrish" a third of the time, "british asian" a third of the time, and chinese the final third.

One of the few projects that I feel like the white guy storylines are just dragging the show down. Those folks do a good job but i just don't care for those plots much compared to all the crazy triad stuff.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Been meaning to watch this someday. I finally got Max and am going through House of the Dragon, will probably watch this after.

Fbh

Need to keep watching this.
Season 1 was fun and the fights are indeed great but it also felt a bit slow. Felt like one of those 10 episode seasons that could have told the same story in a more engaging way in 6-7 episodes.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I like it quite a bit. They trail off the nudity after the first few eps but most of these shows do that.

What do you think the thought process is here? I don't watch a ton of TV so I don't notice nudity trends and it's placement in TV shows/seasons.

jason10mm

Gold Member
What do you think the thought process is here? I don't watch a ton of TV so I don't notice nudity trends and it's placement in TV shows/seasons.
The sex sells the show to get you past the first couple eps of world building and exposition. But real har/expensive to get the series regular ladies naked a lot and it really just distracts from their fairly fast paced story. I didn't miss it (much) but it was a pretty choice selection of ethnic girls we don't often get on american TV.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The sex sells the show to get you past the first couple eps of world building and exposition. But real har/expensive to get the series regular ladies naked a lot and it really just distracts from their fairly fast paced story. I didn't miss it (much) but it was a pretty choice selection of ethnic girls we don't often get on american TV.

Interesting. If sex sells (I'm sure it does) I'm just curious why the people making these shows would tone it down. If series regulars don't want to do it, I'm sure you could find one off actors + actresses to do the scenes throughout the seasons.

Just trying to picture when a writer in those writers rooms would say "OK, that's gonna do it for the nudity. We're done with that."

jason10mm

Gold Member
Interesting. If sex sells (I'm sure it does) I'm just curious why the people making these shows would tone it down. If series regulars don't want to do it, I'm sure you could find one off actors + actresses to do the scenes throughout the seasons.

Just trying to picture when a writer in those writers rooms would say "OK, that's gonna do it for the nudity. We're done with that."
Oh, I've NO DOUBT most of the nudity we see on screen these days is more of a studio requirement than an internal desire by the writers and directors, and especially the cast.

Nudity is a pain in the ass. It makes the set difficult, requires "intimacy coordinators" these days, sets up sexual harassment issues, and all that work to make the show a draw ends up on the internet minutes after release.

The Game of Thrones backlash against "sexposition" of random nudity really seems to have ended a lot of it.

And for Warrior, the quality of the rest of the show makes up for it, though it is odd that one main character runs a brothel....:p

jason10mm

Gold Member
Just heard Max is dropping the show and it is going over to Netflix in a few months, might get a 4th season there.

I feel like all the DC stuff is on netflix (US) now as well, making it easy to drop Max between the few HBO mut watch shows.

Been watching this recently, only a few episode into season 3 now, but I think it's a bit funny how everyone on this show is a bit (to extremely) shitty and the only "good guy" was basically penny, who ironically has an extremely vile cunt for a sister, and they completely fuck her over at the end of s2 lol.
I bet if she shows up ever again in s3 she'll have a bit of a heel turn as well, though without her it's a bit hard to root for anyone else, maybe ah toy/chao/bill...

Wonder how much the show might change under netflix.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Been watching this recently, only a few episode into season 3 now, but I think it's a bit funny how everyone on this show is a bit (to extremely) shitty and the only "good guy" was basically penny, who ironically has an extremely vile cunt for a sister, and they completely fuck her over at the end of s2 lol.
I bet if she shows up ever again in s3 she'll have a bit of a heel turn as well, though without her it's a bit hard to root for anyone else, maybe ah toy/chao/bill...

Wonder how much the show might change under netflix.

End of S3 was GOOD! You get to see how big a heart Chao has... It's FULL of surprises!

j0hnnix

This show is fantastic. Season 3 took me some time to refresh my memory after such a long wait but damn S3 was insane once I got back on board with everything.

Top Bottom