• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Warriors: Legends of Troy |OT| Greek Myrmidons killing Trojans by the hundreds.

oracrest

"Dynasty Warriors for people who hate Dynasty Warriors"

warriors-legends-of-troy-cover2.jpg

In the age when Zeus Almighty ruled over immortals and men, what begins as a truce between two cities quickly erupts into a massive war that will shake the very foundations of Olympus. Two great armies clash not over home and country, but for the love of a single woman. The fates of these civilizations now stand upon the razor's edge...

From the creators of Dynasty Warriors comes an unbelievable game that tells the tale of the epic Trojan War. In this ancient time, men and gods fought alongside one another for eternal glory. Carve your name into history as you experience amazing action and incredible mythology.

Warriors-Legends-of-Troy-Preview.gif

Warriors: Legends of Troy is a third person 3D Hack and Slash action game by Koei, released on PS3 and Xbox 360. A branching title from the main Dynasty Warriors franchise, Legends of Troy. It follows the legend of the war of Troy, with the player taking on the role of both the invading Greeks, and the defending Trojans. There is a stronger focus on story compared to other Dynasty Warriors games, and the levels play out in a more linear fashion.

Covers:

warriors-legends-of-troy.jpg
nPTu.jpg

Developer: Koei Canada
Publisher: Koei

Release dates:

JP: TBA
NA: March 15, 2011
EU: March 18, 2011
AUS: 2011 (out now, can AusGAF confirm?)

Game Modes:
Single Player, Multiplayer, Co-op

Trailers:

TGS 2010

GDC 2011 Trailer

Opening Cinematic

Gameplay videos:

Achilles gameplay 1

Achilles gameplay 2

one-on-one combat gameplay

Odysseus gameplay

Hektor gameplay

first 10 minutes

Screenshots:

troy2.jpg

troy1.jpg

ss_preview_20110204gallery_wlot31.jpg

ss_preview_20110204gallery_wlot36.jpg

ss_preview_20110204gallery_wlot14.jpg

ss_preview_20110204gallery_wlot19.jpg

ss_preview_20110204gallery_wlot24.jpg

ss_preview_20110204gallery_wlot02.jpg

ss_preview_20110204gallery_wlot34.jpg

ss_preview_20110204gallery_wlot39.jpg

ss_preview_20110204gallery_wlot17.jpg

ss_preview_20110204gallery_wlot42.jpg

ss_preview_20110204gallery_wlot20.jpg

ss_preview_20110204gallery_wlot18.jpg

ss_preview_20110204gallery_wlot01.jpg

ss_preview_20110204gallery_wlot26.jpg

Characters:

Achilles
497px-Achilles.jpg

Odysseus:
497px-Odysseus.jpg

Patroklos:
302px-Patroklos.jpg

Ajax:
372px-Ajax.jpg

Pentheslilea:
399px-Penthesilea.jpg

Hector:
497px-Hector.jpg

Paris:
468px-Paris.jpg

Aeneas:
469px-Aeneas.jpg

Concept, PR art:

363px-Achilles-Artwork.jpg
314px-Hector-Artwork.jpg
363px-Odysseus-Artwork.jpg
363px-Paris-Artwork.jpg

OP's impressions:
While the reviews have been lukewarm, I have been thoroughly enjoying the game, after having been about 5 or 6 hours in. I always found that Dynasty Warriors got real repetitive fast, with grinding away at so many enemies. The levels in this game are more structured and linear. The combat is a mix between fighting large skirmishes, and then more focused one-on-one fights. The different characters have their own unique play style, with Ajax reminding me a great deal of SF third strike's Hugo. It helps too that I'm a huge sucker for Greco-Roman stuff

Looks interesting. I can't imagine it adheres too closely to the Illiad, as games always seem to take substantial liberties with any story. From the screens below, it looks like Hippolyta dies in some way other than a hunting accident, and Penthelisea should not reach Troy until after Hector's death.

It is pretty cool that it draws from the post Illiad Epic Cycle.

oracrest said:
"Dynasty Warriors for people who hate Dynasty Warriors"
What if I like Dynasty Warriors but LOVE greek mythology...
oracrest said:
The levels in this game are more structured and linear.
:mad: Battlefield management is what makes the DW games good, not the fighting (IMO anyway)

I'll pass :(

oracrest

HamPster PamPster said:
What if I like Dynasty Warriors but LOVE greek mythology...

That's pretty much the reason I got it. Also, I couldn't find any screens of it, but the chapter intros are all done like classical vase art. The opening cinematic video in the OP shows this though.

HamPster PamPster said:
:mad: Battlefield management is what makes the DW games good, not the fighting (IMO anyway)

I'll pass :(

Check out some gameplay vids. There are still open areas, and different objectives on the map, but it doesn't have that "huge open field full of thousands of enemies feel that DW had. A lot more custom valleys and environments that you traverse.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Well... I suppose there are more offensive attempts with this subject matter. Have fun DW fans.

oracrest

Souljiro said:
Hmmmmmm maybe I'll try this when a price drop happens

I was going to do this too, but after playing through Gladiator Begins on PSP, I was craving some more historical stuff like this, so I jumped in...

I also played it a bit at E3, and it was one of the "hidden gems" for me that year. There is always some obscure game that is off in some corner of the hall somewhere that I find thoroughly entertaining, and this is the game that year.

Epic bump: so yeah, surprise release on the 360 Marketplace.

Honestly, I'm surprised this even showed up this long after the team moved on.

Top Bottom