• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch 70 Movies in HD from Famed Russian Studio Mosfilm

Status
Not open for further replies.
To most international cinephiles, the word Mosfilm immediately brings to mind two towering names in Russian motion pictures: Sergei Eisenstein and Andrei Tarkovsky. Both directors made not just important movies but took major steps to develop the visual language of film itself, and both worked for Mosfilm, one of Russia’s largest and oldest film studios. First established in 1923, it went on to produce more than 3,000 films during the Soviet era, some of which now define the cinema of that period. Now viewers around the world can enjoy their aesthetic lushness, historical interest, and pure entertainment value more easily than ever on Mosfilm’s Youtube channel, which offers among its many freely viewable pictures a selection of 70 films in high definition.

You’ll want to start, of course, with Eisenstein and Tarkovsky. Mosfilm has made available in HD the former’s Alexander Nevsky (1938) and much of the latter’s filmography: Ivan’s Childhood (1962), Andrei Rublev (1966), Solaris (1972), The Mirror (1975), and Stalker (1979).

NOTE: Though many of the titles on Mosfilm’s HD playlist appear only in Russian, most of the films themselves come with English subtitles. Make sure to click the “CC” icon on the lower right of the Youtube player to turn them on.

I know what I'm doing this week.

http://www.openculture.com/2017/03/...beloved-comedies-tarkovsky-kurosawa-more.html

Nerdkiller

Membeur
It would help if they would at least put their English titles alongside the Russian ones. I tried looking for Solaris, and I had to go to the Wikipedia entry just so I can get the Cyrillic text to ctrl+F5 with.

And hey, Kurosawa's movie is on there (also his sole project that was photographed in 65mm as well).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp2ihvch45k

Linkura

I took a Russian film class last quarter of college to fulfill a gen ed requirement. It was pretty awesome.

I have been an avid viewer of Soviet films over the last few years, there are a lot of great films, many that only got their utmost critical reception in the west after the fall of the Soviet Union such as Tarkovsky's work.

http://sovietmoviesonline.com/en/ - This is also a good website to use. They also have English subtitles for all of the films, these films in general are rather difficult to come by with original copies.

aasoncott

Oh god. Is this the first time there's been an HD source for STALKER? One of the greatest movies ever made. Wonder which audio this version is.

Mr. Hyde

Oh god. Is this the first time there's been an HD source for STALKER? One of the greatest movies ever made. Wonder which audio this version is.

I think it's on filmstruck's criterion collection but this is amazing. I still refuse to join filmstruck's until they get a Roku app. I don't have a gen 2 of Chromecast to enjoy it.

frontovik

Banned
Love Russian cinema! They're much more entertaining and offers substance rather than what Hollywood spews out recently.

Kayhan

Stalker (1979) HD

skrmbillede2017-03-21i9u06.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom