• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs Movie Officially Begins Filming More Than a Decade After Being Announced

Draugoth

Gold Member
Ubisoft is hacking its way into film once again, as its Watch Dogs movie has started shooting

The gaming publisher shared the news with a behind-the-scenes picture on X/Twitter. It’s a mysterious image that only reveals a clapperboard and an individual who is, appropriately, sitting at a computer. It’s set to be directed by The Deep Dark and Meander’s Mathieu Turi. Story details are being kept secret for now.

Though no plot information about Ubisoft’s Watch Dogs movie has been revealed, we’re not completely in the dark on how the film will come together. In June, Deadline reported that the project had picked up two of 2023’s biggest breakout stars, Tom Blyth and Sophie Wilde. The former is best known for his portrayal in Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, though he’s also appeared in shows like Billy the Kid and The Gilded Age. Wilde terrified audiences with last year’s Talk to Me but has showed up in projects like Boy Swallows Universe and Everything Now, too.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
ryan reynolds hd GIF

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
And the original WD is still the best

True. I like 2 a lot though.

The first game, going back and playing it again a few years ago, I owe that team many apologies. They do a lot right, the train system, all the things you can hack, how it meshes with the whole world, how all the systems tie together.

For a new IP, they had a lot of functions and feature to deal with and did a great job getting all those things working together. Massively underrated

Muffdraul

I still play WD1 and especially WD2 from time to time. Absolutely zero interest in a movie, though. Sorry Ubi. I love The Last of Us a hell of a lot more than Watch Dogs and I pretty much had to force myself to watch the HBO show at gunpoint.

EDMIX

That's damn good film, they don't make them like that anymore.
Also isn't this series dead now?
The best they could do do a Remake of the first game to capitalise on the film
and like actual do the the original trailer graphics but better

Truth.

We had some good ass thrillers and suspense films during the 90s lol

I don't really know if the IP is like, dead dead as I feel they would not care about doing a film if they didn't have something lined up for a game.

I wouldn't count out a remake though as Ubisoft has already expressed interest in remakes from games during that gen.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Truth.

We had some good ass thrillers and suspense films during the 90s lol

I don't really know if the IP is like, dead dead as I feel they would not care about doing a film if they didn't have something lined up for a game.

I wouldn't count out a remake though as Ubisoft has already expressed interest in remakes from games during that gen.
Well they recently said the IP is dead soon
Maybe a Remake is on the cards
Also interesting note regarding Enemy of the State
Harry Gregson-Williams did the sound track which of course he also did MGS2 and onwards OST's.
But the opening to Enemy of the State has that same MGS vibe which is pretty cool.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Well they recently said the IP is dead soon
Maybe a Remake is on the cards
Also interesting note regarding Enemy of the State
Harry Gregson-Williams did the sound track which of course he also did MGS2 and onwards OST's.
But the opening to Enemy of the State has that same MGS vibe which is pretty cool.

Listen, that epic score is the reason to put the volume up while watching that film lol

• Strength
Reactions: TGO
If this is based on Division 1 they have easy blueprints they can follow.

The protagonist is a mixture of other movie protagonists, and one of them is Batman.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
If it's anything like the original game announcement compared to the actual game, it will look nothing like it when released.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

So strange for a dead franchise.

Assassins Creed was a bad movie.
Prince of Persia was enjoyable.

No idea how this one will turn out but I am not expecting much at all.

Boss Mog

Hopefully it's based on Watch Dogs 1, cause the other ones' stories are hot garbage. That Tom Blyth guy is a bit young for the role of Aiden Pearce though. The most important casting will be that of Jordi Chin, he was the breakout character in the first Watch Dogs game.

Gotta find time to finally play these games.
Dude, Ubi's pitch for WD 1 was down right epic as they come. What we got, however... GAF didn't want to let it go and I don't blame.
What was initially shown and what we got were two drastically different products. Nothing mattered after that, IMO. This series was dead to me, long before it became nonsensical.

Dude, Ubi's pitch for WD 1 was down right epic as they come. What we got, however... GAF didn't want to let it go and I don't blame.
What was initially shown and what we got were two drastically different products. Nothing mattered after that, IMO. This series was dead to me, long before it became nonsensical.

That first E3 trailer is one of the best reveals I've ever seen. Tonally it was just perfect. Was so cool, fresh, I couldn't wait. The story itself is dry but man what a fucking pitch.

Certinty

The first game was amazing.

The gameplay was great, especially the stealth and gunplay. If you played it on the hardest difficulty too it became somewhat of a puzzle game as you had to constantly hack to succeed rather than just run and gun. Beautiful lively open world too was Chicago.

Second game tried to be more like GTA than anything and although it was fun, what a step backwards, especially in gameplay.

Won't even get started on the mess that was Legion.

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
But who will play the iconic character Aiden Burns? Such iconography for one of gaming's most recognized, well known and well loved characters. A younger Gary Oldman or Donald Sutherland perhaps but I don't think any modern actor can handle the complexity.

Audiophile

WD1 was a great proof of concept, WD2 expanded on the gameplay nicely but totally ruined the tone. WD3 was a cool idea but poorly executed..

Lots of potential for a movie, but no doubt they'll completely knob this up and choose to go down the avenue of WD2 rather than 1.

Game-wise, I hope they put the franchise on the backburner for a while and then reboot with a much more advanced iteration of the original game in the next-gen. 1 & 2 sold 10 million+ each and Legion probably isn't miles off at this point.

Last edited:
Is Aiden Pearce gonna be the main character or is it gonna be another bait & switch where they shoehorn in a strong black female hacker lead for DEI purposes as per usual?:messenger_grinning_sweat:
Does it matter? You act like he's somehow a compelling character, rather than the generic, cliche "stonefaced white guy with a chip on his shoulder" stereotype that he is.

Top Bottom