• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

well that took long.... DOOM3 Co-op(PC) preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mareg

Wow, that was hell quick ! I was always playing the original doom in coop with friend in the days. Ah, the joy... feeling all nostalgic. Gotta go see my 9600 bauds in the 486 !

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I seriously don't understand why more developers don't put co-op in games like these...it is a tone of fun and a very welcome break from the standard multiplayer fragfests.

I would LOVE to play Painkiller co-op :)

Is it true that in order to play co-op you need a 512MB video card to 'unlock' the option. A friend of mine was telling me this today. I thought that co-op was exlcusive to XBox (XBL). So that's the only reason I'm asking the question here. Is there co-op in Doom3?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Apharmd Battler said:
Is it true that in order to play co-op you need a 512MB video card to 'unlock' the option. A friend of mine was telling me this today. I thought that co-op was exlcusive to XBox (XBL). So that's the only reason I'm asking the question here. Is there co-op in Doom3?

Wait a sec, you actually for a second belived that?

Is it true that Doom3 has co-op if you have a 512MB video card to 'unlock' the option? I friend of mine was telling me this earlier today and that just doesn't sound right. I'm asking because I thought that co-op play was an XBox (XBL) exclusive. And the fact that the game couldn't be modded that quickly unless that code was already in the shipped Doom3 (or modders are really up to snuff).

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Not only did they create a mod before the game's official street date, but they broke into ATI headquarters to steal video cards that don't exist yet.

KarishBHR

Mooreberg said:
Not only did they create a mod before the game's official street date, but they broke into ATI headquarters to steal video cards that don't exist yet.

how would you know? unless you're being sarcastic... if so, please not this doesnt always work on the internet

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mareg said:
FarCry co-op... the posibilities.

edit : With headset compatibility !

OK, that would absolutely rock! I really didn't care for most of Far Cry, but CO-OP would make for an awesome experience.

ChrisReid

KarishBHR said:
how would you know? unless you're being sarcastic... if so, please not this doesnt always work on the internet

Yeah.. Fortunately it worked here, you just didn't catch it. Unless you're joking, which I hope.

Seriously, is this true about having a 512MB video card to unmlock co-op true? I couldn't tell from the sarcastic remraks above. I'm just curious if this functionality exists in the code for the PC (i.e. was iD planing on releasing a co-op pacth later after XBL exclusivity or something). Call it my pressing need to know.......

akascream

Banned
Did they tweak the AI good for co-op? Shit, if they did a good enough job, there ain't much reason to get the Xbox version at all.

Apharmd Battler said:
Seriously, is this true about having a 512MB video card to unmlock co-op true? I couldn't tell from the sarcastic remraks above. I'm just curious if this functionality exists in the code for the PC (i.e. was iD planing on releasing a co-op pacth later after XBL exclusivity or something). Call it my pressing need to know.......

No it's not true and kill your friend.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
In fact all they did was just play a single player map as a multiplayer map (adding a 2nd spawn point i guess)

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
was that the last boss?

oh, and that is sooo obviously a fake

In fact all they did was just play a single player map as a multiplayer map

indeed

DopeyFish

Dr.Guru of Peru said:
Heheh. I thought it was real until you guys said otherwise.

Oh, and the Xbox version only has co op, right? No deathmatch?

GAH where do you guys keep hearing this stuff?!

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I think I might have made it up, actually. I just thought the co op would be in there because of a lack of a proper deatmatch.

XBOXEN: 2-player co-op AND 4-player Deathmatch over LIVE. 4-player limit for deathmatch as that is the way the developers intended the game to be. In numerous interviews it was stated that they believed there would be more suspense with 4 players instead of 16 or so. They said they can leave that for the next Quake installment but DOOM would benefit from fewer players at one time.

Uno Ill Nino said:
XBOXEN: 2-player co-op AND 4-player Deathmatch over LIVE. 4-player limit for deathmatch as that is the way the developers intended the game to be. In numerous interviews it was stated that they believed there would be more suspense with 4 players instead of 16 or so. They said they can leave that for the next Quake installment but DOOM would benefit from fewer players at one time.

EXACTLY!! That's the whole reaosn this thread sparked my interest. I was curious if the code was latent in the PC version and iD was just going to unlock it at a later date, or if these guys coded it from scratch. I just found it interesting since this has all been implemented BEFORE the games release date. It's so hard to get answers here sometimes. :(

DopeyFish

you want a link to the mod? here i'll give it to you.

http://dopeyfish.is-a-geek.com/pak005.pk4

copy to your dooms base dir then go into multi, choose deathmatch, and you'll have your single player maps on the side panel. enjoy

it's not 100% yet, though. like for cutscenes you guys will have to duke it out to continue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom