• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wendy's bets on 'drive-thru' only

Status
Not open for further replies.

aparisi2274

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Wendy's is betting on a new store format that will make its fast food even faster by eliminating the dining room altogether, the company's North American chief told Reuters on Thursday.

In a nod to Americans' love of convenience, the No. 3 U.S. hamburger chain has opened nine stores with no indoor seating and various configurations of drive-through and walk-up windows. Four to five more are planned to open before the end of the year.

"We spread them out in different markets and different types of demographic areas," said Tom Mueller, Wendy's North American chief operating officer. "The response has been very positive."

Dublin, Ohio-based Wendy's International Inc. (WEN: Research, Estimates), whose hamburger business trails only McDonald's Corp. (MCD: Research, Estimates) and Burger King Corp., is trying to build on the success of its expanded late-night business, he said.

Advertising promotions like "Eat Great, Even Late," have helped Wendy's build its drive-through business to 65 to 70 percent of sales, ahead of industry averages, Mueller said.

The new stores, part of a test that quietly started in August 2002, include four locations in the Detroit area, and one each in Raleigh, N.C.; Atlanta; Austin, Texas; Milwaukee; and the latest, in Columbus, Ohio. The company looks to place the stores in fill-in sites where a full-blown Wendy's might not work, Mueller said.

On average, each test store has about 1,300 square feet, compared to a regular Wendy's, with 3,200. It offers a full Wendy's menu featuring everything from fresh-beef burgers and Biggie drinks to Homestyle Chicken Strips and a host of salads. During peak times, each new store is staffed by a crew of 12, compared to 20 at a traditional Wendy's.

Wendy's, which operates nearly 5,800 U.S. hamburger outlets, plans to make a decision by the end of this year or in early 2005 whether the format will become a permanent option for its franchisees, Mueller said.

"We are not going to knee-jerk," he added, emphasizing that the format might eventually account for 6 to 7 percent of new Wendy's stores added each year.

"It's really going to be the supplement to our growth, not the primary driver of our growth," he said.

Tritroid

It's doable.

I used to be crew manager of a Wendy's back when I was in highschool. I'd definitely say most of our business came from the drive thru, but the dining area also brought in some hefty revenue at certain times. (Especially during the winter)

It would also free up workers from having to constantly clean the dining area.

border

I would hardly call "nine stores" a significant bet for a corporation as big as Wendy's. It's a decent idea, though....I don't know many people that really go in and sit down and eat at fast food places anymore. Usually just bums. I guess they stand to lose a sizable portion of the "lunch break" crowd.

They have 20 employees staffing a regular store? You could have fuckin' fooled me. I usually see 3 people in the kitchen, 2 on registers, 2 at drive thru. Where are they hiding the other 13 people?

shoplifter

My drive-thru only (well, it's close enough) business belongs to Crabill's.

They use a White Castle style grill, but COVER THEM IN 1/2" of FAT/GREASE. Then they slather them with brown mustard, onions and whatever else you want. Holy fuck they are the bomb.

If you're ever in Urbana or Bellefontaine Ohio look them up. The place only seats six, but it's a familiy business that's been around since 1927.

shoplifter

It's worth the trip. Lemme know if you go sometime, I'll meet you out there. It's 45 min away from me now that I live in Columbus, but it used to be a 'three times a week' kind of thing when I lived with my parents.

Teh Hamburglar said:
I live in Indiana.

i guess i've never really been in many indiana wendy's so i couldn't say lol.

But i'm not sure if i like the idea of drive thru only b/c my friends and i usually go in. But then again if its after the dining room is closed we just get it and go home...so honestly we probably wouldn't miss the dining rooom much

This should work pretty well for Wendy's in particular. Problem is for me is that they really aren't open late during the week, so this "Eat Great, Even Late" stuff does not apply to me...

Matlock

Banned
I'm skeptical at best.

Besides, the only thing I get there is a small chili and a sour cream and chives baked potato...and that's not easy to eat after a drive-thru. ;)

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Wendy's really does have one of the best $.99 menus out there, especially for a late nite drive thru. Buying a junior bacon cheeseburger, deluxe double stack, 5 piece nuggets, and a small frosty is good stuff for under $5.

Crag Dweller

aka kindbudmaster
shoplifter said:
My drive-thru only (well, it's close enough) business belongs to Crabill's.

They use a White Castle style grill, but COVER THEM IN 1/2" of FAT/GREASE. Then they slather them with brown mustard, onions and whatever else you want. Holy fuck they are the bomb.

If you're ever in Urbana or Bellefontaine Ohio look them up. The place only seats six, but it's a familiy business that's been around since 1927.

I'll check that out next time I go see my parents in Marysville. What street is it on in Bellefontaine?

Might not be a huge step... but in Chicago, there really aren't that many Wendy's. In fact, all of them I know of are in the suburbs and the city ones are gone. If they put this in the city itself, it might have a good chance at success.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
muncheese said:
Yeah um..... That's Checkers and they've been doing it for a while.....big deal....

We had those in Houston, they didn't do too well because of Sonic. Checker's lasted about a year. I liked it, but I guess not enough people did.

Pimpwerx

All my friends preferred to walk in to buy their food. I'd always tell them it was faster through the drive-thru, but none of them agreed with me. I don't know if this is something in the Northeast, or just the people I knew. But always walking in. The drive-thru is the only way for me. I don't much likg going into fast food joints. They are all dirty, and the people working the registers are usually complete idiots inside. PEACE.

MrSingh

border said:
I would hardly call "nine stores" a significant bet for a corporation as big as Wendy's. It's a decent idea, though....I don't know many people that really go in and sit down and eat at fast food places anymore. Usually just bums. I guess they stand to lose a sizable portion of the "lunch break" crowd.

They have 20 employees staffing a regular store? You could have fuckin' fooled me. I usually see 3 people in the kitchen, 2 on registers, 2 at drive thru. Where are they hiding the other 13 people?

rotation. can't have the 7 people working all week, all hours.

Phoenix

Good business move. Allows them to produce a store that cost less to operate with the small staff that the stores want to keep. Most of the Wendy's I've gone to never have people in them outside of one or two who are waiting on their food to be prepared. Put some tables with umbrellas out front and its a winning combo IMO.

The only time I ever go inside a fast food place is when the line is really long and I see like one person inside ordering (which is just weird IMO - are people THAT lazy?).

Neo_ZX

Funny how Wendy's drive through is lightning fast but the service inside is slow as molasses. The Wendy's that I have outside my work has your food ready within 5 seconds or less of pulling up to the second window. It was really amazing the first time I experienced it.

Neo_ZX said:
Funny how Wendy's drive through is lightning fast but the service inside is slow as molasses. The Wendy's that I have outside my work has your food ready within 5 seconds or less of pulling up to the second window. It was really amazing the first time I experienced it.

7 times out of 10 the Wendy's I go to has the food ready BEFORE I get to the window. The lady's just hanging out the window with the bag waiting for me to pull up.

MIMIC

Banned
I've never been to a Checker's but there's a drive-thru only Rally's in my area.

I propose that ALL fast food restaurant chains go "drive-thru only." :) I can't even REMEMBER the last time I got out and ate inside.

Phoenix

MIMIC said:
I've never been to a Checker's but there's a drive-thru only Rally's in my area.

I propose that ALL fast food restaurant chains go "drive-thru only." :) I can't even REMEMBER the last time I got out and ate inside.

Yeah, especially considering that when most of the traffic is AT a Wendy's - the inside tends to be closed (like 11PM-2AM).

Phoenix

fenekku-gitsune said:
In SF it's more like $1.39 :lol

Damn, even Wendy's is expensive there to? WTH do people live there? I've been there about 8 times and its nice and all, but its not THAT nice :)

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The fast food chains do this sort of experimentation once in a while. My sister worked at a test Burger King location while she was in school. They were testing putting Burger Kings into gas stations. Recently, Jack in the Box changed two existing locations in San Diego (near their headquarters) into higher-end "JBX" locations. It's as if Carl's Jr. (Hardees) opened locations with nothing but Six-Dollar-Burger-type items on the menu, and in more interesting-looking buildings with more intimate dining areas.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Wendy's Kicks Ass. There value menu is is the best. I can get 2 Jr. Bacon Burgers, Nachos and a drink for a little over 5 dollars.

Guzim

6.jpg

32.jpg

21.jpg

R.I.P. Dave

shoplifter

Kindbudmaster said:
I'll check that out next time I go see my parents in Marysville. What street is it on in Bellefontaine?

I have no idea, since I've never been to that one. I tried looking it up on yahoo, but couldn't find it and don't have a Bellefontaine phone book. Last I heard, it was still open though.

If not, there's always the Urbana location, it's worth going slightly out of your way for.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Hitman said:
Wendy's Kicks Ass. There value menu is is the best. I can get 2 Jr. Bacon Burgers, Nachos and a drink for a little over 5 dollars.
Nachos? What kind of Wendy's do you live by because I want to know!

bjork

There's a few In N Out locations in So Cal that are like this also, aside from one or two tables in a patio-ish area. There's one in Rowland Heights like this, two lane drivethru, and it's busy from open to close.

The only problem is when it takes like 20 minutes to get a hamburger, but In n Out is worth the wait. :D

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
bjork said:
There's a few In N Out locations in So Cal that are like this also, aside from one or two tables in a patio-ish area. There's one in Rowland Heights like this, two lane drivethru, and it's busy from open to close.

The only problem is when it takes like 20 minutes to get a hamburger, but In n Out is worth the wait. :D
There's another two lane In N Out in Pomona as well.

Matlock

Banned
Defensor said:
Nachos? What kind of Wendy's do you live by because I want to know!

Wendy's used to have a limited salad bar in a few locations, but was phased out of all the locals. Nachos were on the menu.

bjork

:nods:

I think I've been to all of them except for one that's in Pasadena, now.

It's like someone visiting every major league ballpark, only different. :p

lexbubble

personally i don't think i would like this option of not being able to go inside considering that everytime i go through the wendy's drivethrough they mess up my order and i have to go in to get it fixed...not being able to do that would really grate me the wrong way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom