• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are some good gaming chairs?

I usually game on this giant black bean bag but I've had it for a while and it's starting to show. It's starting to rip on the bottom and there's a tear on the side where I was sitting on it when it was leaning against the tough edge of a coffee table.

I need a new seat but I'm not entirely sure I want to get another bean bag. It's comfortable for short gaming sessions but on the off chance I'm playing an RPG or watching a long movie, I tend to get uncomfortable and start to fidget and shift around. Is there a better alternative what won't be uncomfortable for those longer gaming sessions?

Dilbert

You might try out the Poäng chair from IKEA -- it's $99. It's very comfortable (the wood is somewhat flexible, so it's far more comfortable than you might think), you can get it in a zillion colors, and there is also a matching footstool for $40 which lets you stretch out into a slightly different position if you get sick of sitting. I've had mine for years, and it's been pretty durable so far.

poang_279.jpg

Razoric

Banned
-jinx- said:
You might try out the Poäng chair from IKEA -- it's $99. It's very comfortable (the wood is somewhat flexible, so it's far more comfortable than you might think), you can get it in a zillion colors, and there is also a matching footstool for $40 which lets you stretch out into a slightly different position if you get sick of sitting. I've had mine for years, and it's been pretty durable so far.

poang_279.jpg

That's EXACTLY what I'm using for gaming. Went to DC with my girlfriend to Ikea and ended up bringing this sucker home. Best purchase ever.

IAWTP

fallout

B0002EWCFU.16._AA384_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I use something similar to this (papasan chair) with a pillow for my neck. It's really great for long sessions. Mind you, I didn't buy it (roommate did) and I probably wouldn't just because they can be quite large. I'd say it's good for those with money and space.

fallout

Yeah, the one my roommate owns has a wooden base and a blue circular cushion without the odd-looking pattern. That was just the first image that came up when I searched for a papasan chair. Same basic idea though.

bitwise

Banned
i had one of those, and after about a half hour that frikken metal bar that supports it *kills* the bottom of my thighs. i mean it caused me pain.

i suffered with it for a few months before i got a better chair

skip

another good ikea chair is the Lunna, which bungie had at E3 for the halo 2 room. many an editor has fallen in love with them, because they're quite comfy. they're a bit pricier than the poang ($130), but I think they're slightly better.

33835_PE123784_S4.jpg

That Poäng chair from IKEA looks like a comfy one but I imagine the shipping for that would be pretty high as there are no IKEA stores where I'm at. Would they happen to sell those at a department store or something?

And banana chair. What's that? Where would I get one of those if I wanted one?

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
You should get a LoveSac. I was out of town, and the mall I stopped in had a LoveSac store. I sat down and it was heaven. It's similar to a beanbag, but it's filled with this shredded foam stuff. They're pretty heavy duty, and I believe the bag part (it's got a cover that goes over the insert) has a lifetime warranty. They're a tad expensive, but christ, I fell in love. I wish I could afford the 8' one which weighs in at a hefty $500, but ohhh man it'd be worth it.

Lovesack.jpg

Isn't that fucking hot!?

Malakhov

Banned
skip said:
another good ikea chair is the Lunna, which bungie had at E3 for the halo 2 room. many an editor has fallen in love with them, because they're quite comfy. they're a bit pricier than the poang ($130), but I think they're slightly better.

33835_PE123784_S4.jpg
Looks comfy, is it good for the computer though? I'd imagine no armrest would suck.

Lambtron said:
You should get a LoveSac. I was out of town, and the mall I stopped in had a LoveSac store. I sat down and it was heaven. It's similar to a beanbag, but it's filled with this shredded foam stuff. They're pretty heavy duty, and I believe the bag part (it's got a cover that goes over the insert) has a lifetime warranty. They're a tad expensive, but christ, I fell in love. I wish I could afford the 8' one which weighs in at a hefty $500, but ohhh man it'd be worth it.

Lovesack.jpg

Isn't that fucking hot!?

Actually that's what I replaced the Styrofoam beads in my beanbag with, shredded foam from a nearby hobby/fabric store.

I'm not sure another bean bag is the answer though. My back does tend to hurt after an hour or two sitting in it and it's not like a theater seat where you just shift around naturally. I really tend to get a little uncomfortable in it after a while.

Granted, that lovesac looks to be twice the size of my bean bag (I paid $80 for mine +$30-ish dollars to replace the Styrofoam inside after they were all crushed) so it's possible the size might make a difference. I know I couldn't sit in a regular sized bean bag for 10 minutes or more. Those are really uncomfortable to me.

Corda Roy's are similar to the LoveSac

http://cordaroys.com/

They are massive and foamy, and also unzip and fold out into bets, which make them AWESOME for gaming. Have friends come over, play Halo 2 until 4am, fold out Corda Roy into bed, they have a place to sleep.

Dilbert

The Shadow said:
That Poäng chair from IKEA looks like a comfy one but I imagine the shipping for that would be pretty high as there are no IKEA stores where I'm at. Would they happen to sell those at a department store or something?
You can look around. The generic name for them is "bentwood lounger," or something like that. I've seen them made by other companies, not just IKEA...not sure about the price, though.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
The Shadow said:
Actually that's what I replaced the Styrofoam beads in my beanbag with, shredded foam from a nearby hobby/fabric store.

I'm not sure another bean bag is the answer though. My back does tend to hurt after an hour or two sitting in it and it's not like a theater seat where you just shift around naturally. I really tend to get a little uncomfortable in it after a while.

Granted, that lovesac looks to be twice the size of my bean bag (I paid $80 for mine +$30-ish dollars to replace the Styrofoam inside after they were all crushed) so it's possible the size might make a difference. I know I couldn't sit in a regular sized bean bag for 10 minutes or more. Those are really uncomfortable to me.

The 3' LoveSac is like ~$150. Any bigger than that and it gets kind of insane.

Jonnyram

Threads like this make me miss Ikea - when will they invade Japan?

EDIT: I just read they are opening their first Japan store in 2006... good grief that's a long wait.

skip

Malakhov said:
Looks comfy, is it good for the computer though? I'd imagine no armrest would suck.

yeah, definitely not a computer chair (sits too low to the ground for that). but perfect for watching tv/halo.

Odd, I didn't have any trouble adding one to my cart. I am curious about shipping prices, though (outside of their general estimates) - as I'm in Utah and nowhere near a store.

Edit: oh, looks like it's the color combination you chose.

bean bag + lean it up agains the couch + rest your neck on a pillow on said couch.

That's my spot in the living room.

In my room I have a blue LazyBoy recliner right in front of my tele, and I have a bitchin comfortable computer chair with arm rests--because arm rests are essential in preventing a tired neck and aching shoulders.

BootyCat

skip said:

33835_PE123784_S4.jpg

DSC00094_s.jpg

Pretty good chair. After playing Halo on an Xbox-Community-Event here in Austria (photo), i bought one too.

Malakhov

Banned
Would the poang chair make a good computer chair? I need a good one, think I'm gonna ask this for christmas.

Top Bottom