• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your favorite extinct prehistoric animals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mumei

I was originally going to make this about dinosaurs, but I just knew someone would say, "But my favorite is elasmosaurus :(" or whatever and be sad because it is not a dinosaur. And then I realized I wanted to mention stuff that wasn't Mesozoic and probably other people would to soooo... here we are. I am thinking basically anything over, like, 5000-ish years old. Or something. I'm not really being more precise about my standards here beyond a vague "pre-modern."

This topic was prompted by my reading The Complete Dinosaur, The Second Edition, which is absolutely amazing. It's basically a broad overview of the dinosaurs with chapters about the history of dinosaur discoveries, their taxonomic classification, their relation to birds (an entire chapter entirely dedicated to birds themselves after the chapter on Theropods), their skeletons, musculature, and paleoneurology, various suborders / infraorders in Dinosauria, and so forth. It is basically an overview of scientific information for an educated lay audience, and it includes three or four pages of reference material to the relevant journal articles for the relevant articles referenced in the chapter.

I also enjoy some of the arguments. For instance, there are two chapters that appear back-to-back. Chapter 36 is entitled "Metabolic Physiology of Dinosaurs and Early Birds", and it argues vociferously that, for a variety of reasons, dinosaurs were not actually endothermic but are actually ectothermic in their routine, metabolic and lung ventilation rates, but nonetheless may also have possessed the capacity for sustained activity close to that of endotherms. It seemed reasonable at first, though what I learned in the subsequent chapter has me rather skeptical again. They were very forceful in their claims, and if their insistence that various claims "strain credulity" and "should invite skepticism" weren't enough, they also close their penultimate section with, "Finally, claims elsewhere in this volume of putative falsification of our conclusions that theropods lacked respiratory turbinates (see Paul) amount to little more than a series of statistically unsupported anecdotes."

The next chapter? "Evidence for Avian-Mammalian Aerobic Capacity and Thermoregulation in Mesozoic Dinosaurs", which I am currently in the middle of reading. I find it very interesting and I wonder how the authors of the previous chapter would reconcile some of the issues he's bringing up regarding the differences in behaviors of endothermic and ectothermic animals - to the point where an ectothermic animal might well kill itself in trying do behave like an endothermic animal - and the fact that dinosaurs' behavior seems to much more closely resemble endothermic animals in terms of sustained casual speeds, socialization, parenting, and so forth. And of course, he is also similarly entertaining in his commentary on the previous chapter. For instance, "The arbitrary dismissal of the often capacious NA (nasal airways) of ornithischians as evidence for the presence of well-developed RC (respiratory conchae) by Ruben et al. (2003) indicates that they do not consider their own methodology reliable when it produces results contradictory to their concept of dinosaur energetics."

It does contain a few unfortunate accuracies, though. For instance, it makes the claim that, "Despite the appeal of Tyrannosaurus, the ubiquity of Triceratops, or the stateliness of Stegosaurus, sauropods are the iconic dinosaurs." This is utter nonsense, of course. Tyrannosaurus rex is the iconic dinosaur and has been since its discovery, no matter what that silly hadrosaur-loving, Spinosaurus-overhyping, T.rex-is-a-scavenger propagandist Horner says. Speaking of Horner, I did particularly enjoy this caption to a picture of two skulls:

32.5 "Rex Rules!" The wide temporal region and broad muzzle of Tyrannosaurus gives this animal and exceptionally strong skull. The long, low, slender snout of Suchomimus makes for a much weaker skull. The robust teeth of Tyrannosaurus are associated with a very deep, thick maxilla, and are indicative of a very powerful bite. The relatively small teeth of Suchomimus are rooted in a slender, thin maxilla, and it is highly unlikely that this animal was capable of biting with great force. The slender, weak skulls seen in spinosaurids such as Suchomimus contradict aspects of the plot in the film Jurassic Park III

Damn right, they do.

Anyway, some of my favorites, both all-time and more recent:

Tyrannosaurus rex

tyrannosaurus.png

he's not fat; he's thick

I'm sure everyone is shocked.

I actually went through a bit of a period of being sort of over T. rex - too slow, too dumb, possibly more of a scavenger, and not even the biggest! - but then I saw this wonderful post (I just read Holtz's paper before making this post :D). There's also been all sorts of cool stuff about T. rex in recent years. For instance, there was the news its weight may have been underestimated by 30 percent (which inspired the picture above), the fact that the size of the muscles in the tail, particularly the cardofemoralis, may have been underestimated by as much as 45 percent, or that its bite was significantly stronger than those specious "only as strong as an alligator haha" claims that were probably based on feeding bites and not actual maximum capacity. And it was smarter than any other theropod of a similar size (e.g. smart enough to figure out that Triceratop's horns are scary and biting them off is a good idea), as well as faster, and with a significantly more robust build, skull, and neck muscles.

There may be some fragmentary theropods that could possibly be slightly longer or slightly heavier but none of them have the combination of speed, intelligence, durability, anatomical sophistication or biting strength that T. rex did.

Queztalcoatlus

When I was a kid, my parents took me to the Children's Museum in Indianapolis (and it is a fantastic museum and fun for all ages, go now, etc. - I went for the first time since I was a pre-teen just last year and it was a fantastic experience even though I hardly saw half of it due to time constraints) pretty regularly, and one of my favorite parts was this gigantic pterosaur they had hanging in the ceiling. I think it was a Queztalcoatlus, but it's been so long that I don't know if that's just the name I am ascribing to it because of how huge it was or if that's actually accurate.

In any case, I thought they were very cool, until I started reading how some scientists doubted they could even achieve powered flight and how they would have been reliant on cliffs and gliding and thermals in order to stay aloft. And that just sounds, well, lame. Who cares about an oversized reptilian albatross who would get eaten by the first theropod that manages to sneak up on it before it could waddle up to speed and off a cliff? But more recently I have read some really exciting stuff - great increases in their weight estimates, but also suggestions that they could launch themselves into the air using their powerful forelimbs to speeds of 35 MPH in mere moments (compared to a vampire bat) without relying on running starts (as in the modern albatross or leaping off of cliffs, sustained flight "up to 80 miles an hour for 7 to 10 days at altitudes of 15,000 feet" and a maximum flight range of 8,000 - 12,000 miles. Just imagining a 30-something wingspan and giraffe-height 400 - 500 pound animal soaring at those speeds is exciting.

Of course, I also read Debbie Downers who are skeptical about some or all of those elements, but I'll continue to find it interesting until I read something more conclusive that it isn't accurate!

Deinonychus

(I actually liked the design of them in the Clash of the Dinosaurs: Perfect Predators, but I couldn't find a good picture)

I have always found Deinonychus to be the Goldilocks of the raptors. Velociraptor was too small; Utahraptor seemed too big for how I imagined it in my head. Deinonychus always seemed just right to me. It had sort of gone down in my estimation after learning that apparently the claw was not very good for slashing or tearing (though more about that), they weren't built for particularly fast speeds, and they weren't nearly as intelligent as I had imagined them to be as a kid. But I have learned, taht while they evidently weren't super fast, they were evidently built for extremely agile running due to their stiff and thin tail that was capable of rapid rotational speeds - the distal four-fifths of the tail are sheathed in bony rods that are elongated postzygapophyses (zygapophyses are extensions from a vertebrae that fit in with the next one; I think from context postzygapophyses are structures which extend beyond that and prezygapophyses extend towards earlier vertebrae; maybe someone who is better at anatomy can explain if I'm misunderstanding), and this creates the very stiff tail.

Going back to the claws for a moment, the raptors evidently did still use their claws offensively (e.g. the famous fighting dinosaurs fossil), and I seem to remember that in the test I saw of the claw, it was only the strike using the leg itself and the tendon. However, in the book it mentions that, given their evident agility, one could imagine them leaping onto their prey and using their body weight to drive their claws in, and then using their weight to draw the claws down along the body of the prey. Maybe this would be more feasible; the pure "leg strike" I remember seeing did not seem very feasible as an attacking strategy considering the limited puncture depth and apparently superficial damage. And there was also something about them using the claws for climbing up prey, as the claws would be capable of supporting the weight.

As for feathers: I have always I found the lithe appearance very appealing, and now that I'm over the "It doesn't look like what I imagined :mad:" phase, I am finding some of the designs really interesting.

Titanoboa

I just watched the Smithsonian mini-documentary about this snake (though I also remember the GAF topic about the model that was the inspiration for the episode), and it is fascinating. The green anaconda has always been my favorite living snake, and this is essentially that snake on an incredibly supersized scale. Just imagining a nearly 50 foot snake swimming around the prehistoric Amazon (or whatever river might have been around then, I don't really know come to think of it) and capable of eating 20 foot crocodiles is mind-blowing.

Others: Titanis walleri, Ankylosaurus (and Euoplocephalus) (these are some of my all-time favorites but this post is too long as is!), Smilodon, Titanis walleri, Megalograptus (largest arthropod ever at 6 feet, very cute, and apparently innovated a lot of stuff later and smaller predatory arthropods would use), Cave Mammals (Lions, Bears, etc), Dunkleosteus (20 - 30 feet long, armor-plating, and teeth made of boney plates like a cleaver combined with one of the strongest bites of any fish and almost certainly the strongest for a non-shark), Megalodon, Elasmotherium sibiricum (look at that horn!), Doedicurus clavicaudatus (it takes an akylosaurian tail club and makes it spiky - what could be better? Well, besides a tail that would actually be useable for defense, I suppose), Irish Elk

I could go on but it's getting harder to remember what they looked like and then trying to figure out names by Googling my vague descriptions. :x

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
I always feel bad for Neanderthals when I think about them, totally bad ass humanoids with so much potential. I like to think that the final ones interbred with humans at least. I don't want all that awesomeness gone in it's entirety forever!

I'm a dinosaur guy, so I have to post some dinosaurs:

acrocanthosaurus_by_apsaravis-d5kvkj2.jpg

Acrocanthosaurus

I always felt like Acrocanthosaurus got the short end the stick; it's not any where near as well known as some of the other giant theropods, like Tyrannosaurus, Spinosaurus, or Allosaurus despite being relatively close in size to Tyrannosaurus (maybe a few feet shorter in length but put them next to each other and you'd be hard pressed to tell), it's got these high spines running down its back that gives it a beefier and scarier appearance, plus it was contemporaneous with everyone's favorite Deinonychus. Plus I really like the look of its skull--it's all business.

Therizinosaurus_cheloniformis_by_Tomozaurus.jpg

Therizinosaurus

The Therizinosaurs are probably some of the least well known (among the general public) group of dinosaurs, but I just love 'em. They just look so thoroughly alien, and I think the best way to describe them is how I've read it elsewhere: "Dinosaurs designed by committee." Long necks? Sure. Fat? Why not? Really big? Absolutely. Feathers? What the hell. Big scary claws? Yes. Beaks and teeth at the same time? I see no problem. Therizinosaurs on the whole are just awesome, and Therizinosaurus itself is the body plan cranked up to eleven.

Kentrosaurus_by_Kahless28.jpg

Kentrosaurus

Always been one of my favorites, ever since I was a kid. He don't take no shit from no one. Stegosaurus? Please, with those wussy plates on most of its back all of its spikes stuck only to its tail? Naw, Kentrosaurus is like half spikes. Guy even has spikes on his shoulders.
Granted, Kentrosaurus is like half the size of a Stegosaurus.

Mumei, I love you.

Deinonychus is my favourite. After the discovery that raptors were a little bit smaller than their Jurassic Park variant, the Deinonychus came up as the perfect fit.

Could someone recommend a book (with pictures) about dinosaurs?

The Complete Dinosaur Second Edition that as talked about in the OP. I'll post my thoughts in a minute.

And for anyone who loves Tyrannosaurus, you should read this blog post by Thomas R Holtz. It's like the best description of what a Tyrannosaurus really is and what makes it so different.

Love The Tyrant Not The Hype

0CwF3mZ.jpg

I've always been fascinated by trilobites. I imagine millions of them swarming the sea floor - some of the tiny and some of them humongous. I have a few tiny trilobite fossils that I've had since I was a kid.

Mumei

Well, the book I am reading in the OP has pictures! Though perhaps not the sort of pictures I'm thinking you're thinking of ; while there are pictures that are large and with full color and detailed backgrounds, it's only a few dozen pages in the middle. For most pages the pictures appear in the margin and they are black and white and are more informative than imaginative, if that makes sense.

I'm a dinosaur guy, so I have to post some dinosaurs:

I was actually introduced to Acrocanthosaurus because of you in another GAF dinosaur topic, but I couldn't remember its name. And I remember when I was a kid and reading about Therizinosaurus' claws and imagining this fantastically monstrous creature attached to them. I suppose it is only appropriate that I recently learned how hilariously ridiculous they looked.

And Kentrosaurus is definitely awesome, though I couldn't have told you the name before you told me.

I was actually introduced to Acrocanthosaurus because of you in another GAF dinosaur topic, but I couldn't remember its name.

Describe it to us and we might be able to figure out its name. Let's start by figuring out what clade it's from.

I like the Walking With Dinosaurs book but it focusses a lot on a few specific dinosaurs, featured in the BBC series.

I also have The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Dinosaurs & Prehistoric Creatures on my lap right now. It is an encyclopaedia, of course, that features some of the better known fish, amphibians, reptiles and the Archosaur group, birds, precursors of mammals and mammals. Every creature has a neat drawing and some information. To give a brief overview of the scale: there are 16 types of mastodons pictured. It unfortunately does not have large drawings or pictures of the dinosaurs in their habitat. Just the drawings of them what they supposedly have looked like. It's cool to flick through though.

Besides dinosaurs, I've always been a fan of the ancient rhino and elephant-like creatures, like the one posted above. The elephant-type ones are especially strange-looking, some have tusks that curve downward from their bottom jaw.

I'd post pictures but I'm on my iPad. Mainly any giant mammal from the Oligocene or Miocene epochs.

Acrocanthosaurus!

I think you misread me! Thanks for that link to the Thomas Holtz blog post, though. I read the article Spiff referenced in that post I linked yesterday, "A critical re-appraisal of the obligate scavenger hypothesis for Tyrannosaurus rex and other tyrant dinosaurs" and quite liked it.

If you have facebook, you should add Tom Holtz to your friend list. The guy has a great sense of humor and participates in discussions. Just a few days ago, I sent him a gizoogle version of his article and he loved it. He's so warm and open to us dino nerds.

I'm at work right now and getting off in a few minutes. I'll post my write up later.

Dimetrodon. So badass.

Dimetrodonmelissa.jpg

Protoceratops. So cute.

mm-protoceratops-illustration-big.jpg

Troodon. Would have inherited the earth with its massive brain barring mass extinction.

Troodon1140459314.jpg

Shonisaurus, the largest carnivore in history.

Shonisaurus.jpg

Shout out to

Deinosuchus. A 12-15m long alligator. Exact sizes are unknown because only the skull has been found.
Deinosuchus.jpg

Ankylosaurus. Also one of those classic dinosaurs
ankylosaurus-jpg.jpg

Motherfucking Triceratops
the%20%202%20triceratops.jpg

Diatryma gigantea or the bird that will fuck your shit up
diatryma.jpg

Doedicurus. Just look how cute it is! Then you realise it was 4m long
glypto.jpg

Mumei

Besides dinosaurs, I've always been a fan of the ancient rhino and elephant-like creatures, like the one posted above. The elephant-type ones are especially strange-looking, some have tusks that curve downward from their bottom jaw.

I'd post pictures but I'm on my iPad. Mainly any giant mammal from the Oligocene or Miocene epochs.

Oh, one of my favorites is Elasmotherium, with that ridiculous horn:

Ol' Dunky. Have you seen the Discovery Channel's "Prehistoric Assassins: Blood in the Water" special? They have a short (albeit extremely over-the-top and cheesy) segment on Dunkleosteus and its innovations.

Those aren't cool, they're freaking terrifying. Jesus.

If you have facebook, you should add Tom Holtz to your friend list. The guy has a great sense of humor and participates in discussions. Just a few days ago, I sent him a gizoogle version of his article and he loved it. He's so warm and open to us dino nerds.

I'm at work right now and getting off in a few minutes. I'll post my write up later.

I do have Facebook, and looking forward to it!

Deinotherium
46.jpg

Platybelodon
e0193fca5c_80292700_o2.jpg

Anancus (just how?)
anancus.jpg

Amebelodon
amebelodon-plastic-ice-age-mammal-f1283.jpg

Such goofy looking creatures.

Deinotherium
http://www.paleocreations.com/images/46.jpg[IMG]

Platybelodon
[IMG]http://nd05.jxs.cz/978/363/e0193fca5c_80292700_o2.jpg

Anancus (just how?)
http://0.tqn.com/d/dinosaurs/1/0/m/6/-/-/anancus.jpg[IMG]

Amebelodon
[IMG]http://www.tapirback.com/tapirgal/gifts/friends/extinct-animals/amebelodon-plastic-ice-age-mammal-f1283.jpg[IMG]

Such goofy looking creatures.[/QUOTE]

I can't NOT laugh at this thing. Just look at it!

Thanks for posting some pictures. These are exactly the types of animals I was talking about.

Happy to do so! It's almost like Mumei made me this thread specifically for my birthday :)

I'd also like to share the most awesome fossil ever found: the famous Protoceratops vs Velociraptor.
FightVelo-pht-l.jpg

protoceratops_vs_velociraptor_by_taboada.jpg

Salvadora

Gigantopithecus blacki.
01Ydtzi.png

Gigantopithecus blacki is only known through fossil teeth and mandibles found in cave sites in Southeast Asia. As the name suggests, these are appreciably larger than those of living gorillas, but the exact size and structure of the rest of the body can only be estimated in the absence of additional findings. Dating methods have shown that G. blacki existed for about a million years, going extinct about 100,000 years ago after having been contemporary with (anatomically) modern humans (Homo sapiens) for tens of thousands of years, and co-existing with H. erectus before the appearance of H. sapiens.
How can this not capture your imagination?

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking

61sR%2BBqUcTL._SS500_.jpg

Dinosaur Art: The World's Greatest Paleoart recently renewed my interest, and now Complete Dinosaur is on my to read list. Thanks for starting the thread Mumei.

My favourite growing up was Apatosaurus, not Brontosaurus. I also liked Euoplocephalus, (frequently mistaken for Ankylosaurus). Sauropods and ankylosaurs were my two go-to groups; I remember really disliking all the attention theropods got, what with the feathers and the bird connection. Hadrosaurs were dull and ceratopsians were too flashy. Stegosaurs just suck when I thought they petered out after the Jurassic. It's all pretty funny reflecting now back on it.

I have a particular soft spot for the Rourke series of dinosaur books, published in the late 1980's. They were unique in that they were first and foremost story books: A day in the life of _____. Growing up, most dinosaur books are pretty much fact books, full of measurements . C.M. Kozemen, one of the authors of All Yesterdays, just did a podcast talking about many popular works reducing dinosaurs to things without any sort of context. But they are not machines; they were living breathing creatures with ecological connections. The narratives of the Rourke books provide the creature and the world and utilized a variety of artists. They're obviously not accurate representations anymore, but I still love them. I actually tracked down a couple of the volumes for inspiration on a new book idea I have.

If anyone is interested in dino art and analysis, I heartily recommend a blog called Love in Time of Chasmosaurs. It's chock full of the latest findings as well as vintage paleoart. Pretty hilarious reads too.

mantidor

The one, the only:

26_MVG_archaeopteryx1.jpg

Archaeopteryx!

Before feathered dinosaurs were in vogue, this guy always called my attention, not only I thought it was incredibly cool that a lizard had wings and feathers, and could fly (somewhat), it had a badass name as well, if I made awful fan fiction about Pokemon back then this would have probably been my first choice.

(click for source!)

It also reminded me of quetzalcoatl, the feathered serpent worshiped by ancient aztecs.

Quetzalcoatl_telleriano.jpg

No matter how you look at this guy he's just awesome.

Mumei

After J3 it is mesmorized my dino vision.

ijo6u0B.jpg

Don't listen to Horner's siren song!

Happy to do so! It's almost like Mumei made me this thread specifically for my birthday :)

I'd also like to share the most awesome fossil ever found: the famous Protoceratops vs Velociraptor.

Happy birthday! And I love that fossil; it is the fighting dinosaurs fossil I was referencing in the OP.

61sR%2BBqUcTL._SS500_.jpg

Dinosaur Art: The World's Greatest Paleoart recently renewed my interest, and now Complete Dinosaur is on my to read list. Thanks for starting the thread Mumei.

My favourite growing up was Apatosaurus, not Brontosaurus. I also liked Euoplocephalus, (frequently mistaken for Ankylosaurus). Sauropods and ankylosaurs were my two go-to groups; I remember really disliking all the attention theropods got, what with the feathers and the bird connection. Hadrosaurs were dull and ceratopsians were too flashy. Stegosaurs just suck when I thought they petered out after the Jurassic. It's all pretty funny reflecting now back on it.

There is a full-size model Euoplocephalus or Ankylosaurus - and I can't remember which anymore - at the Children's Museum here. I wish I could remember what it was, but I remember always imagining a T. rex fighting one when I saw it. I need to visit again! They have really greatly expanded the dinosaur exhibits and I'll get to see Bucky.

Kinyou

Arthropleura, a giant centipede

arthropleuranju3s.gif

It's possible that they were just plant eaters but I like to imagine them a little more like this:

arthropleuray8ugi.jpg

Then there's also the Whorl shark where noone seems to be really sure what he looked like.

500whorlr9k19.jpg

bizarre_sharks_10r1k8u.jpg

heliocoprianfhjyn.jpg

I was actually introduced to Acrocanthosaurus because of you in another GAF dinosaur topic, but I couldn't remember its name. And I remember when I was a kid and reading about Therizinosaurus' claws and imagining this fantastically monstrous creature attached to them. I suppose it is only appropriate that I recently learned how hilariously ridiculous they looked.

And Kentrosaurus is definitely awesome, though I couldn't have told you the name before you told me.
Yeah, I remember back to the dinosaur books of my childhood, looking at the requisite page on the big mystery hands of Therizinosaurus and its partner in crime, Deinocheirus, and just trying to imagine what sort of monstrous carnivores they belonged to, both of which we know pretty certainly now were at best omnivores and likely both herbivores. Kind of ironic, now that I think on it.

Amargasaurus doesn't get nearly enough love!

Hey, I drew that Amargasaurus picture.

t-ramp

This thread is awesome. Dinosaurs and other prehistoric beasts are so surreal, it's mind-blowing to think about them actually being alive in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom