• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What constitutes good/bad box art?

Speevy

Banned
Just curious.

Is there a single set of criteria or is one man's bad box art a masterpiece for someone else?

I've noticed that boxarts that feature one character with a fairly close-up drawing are generally ridiculed. Like Metroid Prime's boxart, or Tao Feng.

Do the designers of box art have to aspire to real artistic principles, or is a simple telling of the game's basic premise adequate?

How does an artist find the balance between "too cluttered" and "too simplistic".

And of course, there are ideas that seem good to someone, which turn out to be just ridiculous. (Freestyle Metal X)

Tell me what you think.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Speevy said:
I've noticed that boxarts that feature one character with a fairly close-up drawing are generally ridiculed. Like Metroid Prime's boxart, or Tao Feng.
That's by no means a rule. For example, I thought last year's ESPN lineup had great covers.

Really, you just know that what you're looking at is great, ass, or meh.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Don't you know the rule yet?

Japanese box art = good

American box art = terrible

European box art = not as good as Japanese, but much better than American.

It seems to me that every box art thread seems to boil down to those basic principles.

Chony

DavidDayton said:
Don't you know the rule yet?

Japanese box art = good

American box art = terrible

European box art = not as good as Japanese, but much better than American.

It seems to me that every box art thread seems to boil down to those basic principles.

Oh, and everyone can make a better boxart than any american one.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Personal preference

Top Bottom