• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What exactly happens at the end of Ico?

My friend sold me the game and I never really thought I could enjoy a game so much...until I realised that it was only 7 hours long:p. , Anyway, apart from the length, I loved the game, I just didnt understand something.

After you fight the queen, Yorda gets coverend by that black stuff. Was that the queen possessing Yorda or was it something else. Also, when Yorda was covered by that black stuff, was she meant to turn evil or was she still her normal self?

Depending on your point of view and background, i would say they both went to heaven.

The end theme hand me feeling strange for a whole month, ICO wasn`t just a game, it was a crazy emotionally trip that would probably stick with you forever wondering what really happened to Yorda

thanks wario, but I just want to know, when Yorda was covered by that black stuff, was that the queen possessing her or was it something else?

Bregor

chocoholic said:
thanks wario, but I just want to know, when Yorda was covered by that black stuff, was that the queen possessing her or was it something else?

My personal opinion is that the first part of the queens spell worked, and Yorda was changed into a shadow type creature like the queen, but since the queen was dead she did not get possessed.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Author of the game himself has went on record saying that he deliberately left the ending open to interpretation. He would not say whether Ico or Yorda have really survived, or is the final scene just some kind of Ico's dream or if they are perhaps both dead in some otherworld (which is the thought I actually find myself being most attracted to)

Bregor said:
My personal opinion is that the first part of the queens spell worked, and Yorda was changed into a shadow type creature like the queen, but since the queen was dead she did not get possessed.
thats the most sensible explanation, thnaks, you were more help than some others *cough*wario*cough*

My view is that the Queen tries to possess Yorda, but because of her tie to Ico she is able to break free. Both survive. I like happy endings.

Korranator

SiegfriedFM said:
My view is that the Queen tries to possess Yorda, but because of her tie to Ico she is able to break free. Both survive. I like happy endings.
Plus the fact that is shows their boat has landed at a beach, it's a logical conclusion that since the boat reached the shore, that at least ICO survived.

ok, I just went through the ening agaian and there are some other things that don't make sense. Firstly, why do the shadow demons attack Ico throughout the whole game until the end and also, how did Yorda survive?

BuddyC

chocoholic said:
ok, I just went through the ening agaian and there are some other things that don't make sense. Firstly, why do the shadow demons attack Ico throughout the whole game until the end and also, how did Yorda survive?
understand. understand. understand. understand. understand. understand the concept. the concept of love. the concept of love. the concept of love. the concept. the concept of love. free love was too tame for him. love. what is love. what is free love. what is free boy. what is boy. what is girl. what is free girl. what is. tame for him. love is free. love is free. love is free. love is free. love is free. love is free. love is free. understand. understand the concept of love. free love. love was too. too tame for him. tame for him. free love. love was too. too tame for him. tame for him. the concept. the concept.

Of course, I remember seeing shots of the Japanese version that showed them eating watermelons together after they met at the beach once more. That seemed a little odd.

I was never of the opinion that either one of them died. Ico was wounded, but not fatally, unless he bled to death, but horned animals can survive loss of a horn or antler.
Yorda seemed to look more human, as she lost the ethereal light that always played over her and her skin took on a much more natural tone.

I have always believed that Yorda was taken by the queen's spell , but able to free herself or given the gift of a true life in ecxhange for her suffering after saving Ico from the falling castle by putting him in a boat.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Shut up and eat! Too bad, no bon appetit! Shut up and eat! You know my love is sweet! Yes, I'm cooking for my son and his wife. It's his thirtieth birthday. Pour berries into my bowl. Add milk of two months ago. It's moldy mom, isn't it? I don't give a flying f*ck though. Shut up and eat! Too bad, no bon appetit! Shut up and eat! You know my love is sweet! Shut up and eat! Too bad, no bon appetit! Shut up and eat! You know my love is sweet! It's food nouveau. It's food nouveau. It's the shape of love. Beat it! Beat it up! Beat it! Beat it up! Extra sugar, extra salt. Extra oil and MSG. Extra sugar, extra salt. Extra oil and MSG. Shut up and eat! Too bad, no bon appetit! Shut up and eat! You know my love is sweet! Shut up and eat! Too bad, no bon appetit! Shut up and eat! You know my love is sweet! You were born in the sixties. We made a war with the Vietnamese. We loved LSD, we died easily. Can we just say c'est la vie? So what! Say what! For your own sake. Do you have a headache or heartbreak? Are you made or broken by the birthday cake? You may be slow on the uptake. I pour pot in the birthday cake. So what! Say what! For my own sake. Watch out yo! Here I come yo! I'm gonna change to a rattlesnake. Turn up the TV! Do you agree? Yeah, I'm talking turkey take it from me. I'm gonna show my love for my dove. But it's moldy, mom, isn't it? Extra sugar, extra salt. Extra oil and MSG. Extra sugar, extra salt. Extra oil and MSG. Shut up and eat! Too bad, no bon appetit! Shut up and eat! You know my love is sweet! Shut up and eat! Too bad, no bon appetit! Shut up and eat! You know my love is very sweet!

edit: aw hell Diomedeskun broke the flow

john2kx

i don't think the events in the rest of the game lend credence to the interpretation of Ico and Yorda meeting up in heaven, with the exception of Ico's dream at the beginning of the game.

maybe that's just how I interpret it.

BuddyC

stop playing games. done exchanging names. taking far too long to find what's going on. stop. stop playing games. done exchanging names. i've been dead. i've been shot. and you know i'm the reason why. you've got to know it now. girl. i've got to win you back. but i know i'm not the man. the man who thinks is making more. you've been taking much too long trying to find what's going on. wasting all my precious time. why you make him know you're mine. you think you're really in the know. waiting for the sight of gold. i've been waving back the flag. and just doing movement. stop. playing games. till i'm done. exchanging names. stop playing games. yea yea yea yea yea yea. till i'm done exchanging names. yea yea yea yea. stop playing games.

Top Bottom