• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is going on with my gamecube?

I'm trying to turn it on, but the light only comes on for a second and the fan runs, and thats it. No picture or anything. I'm getting pretty worried now, because as far as I can tell, all conections are fine. Oh and by the way, this is an imported Japanese launch Cube, so there is no chance of sending it back to nintendo to be fixed.

BuddyC

that happened to me on my first GC. dunno what went wrong, just assumed something was overheating and it was an emergency shutdown. the light on the console would go off, but the fan would keep running. ended up swapping it out for another one.

it sucks yes, but you could easily (depending on how skilled you are) buy a GC from wal-mart, swap the guts, mod the new guts and return it.

while that's ethically questionable, it would work if you're in a pinch.

mattx5

Couldn't he just put the broken one in the box, or do they check serial numbers?

In any case, swapping the guts shouldn't be too hard, it's just a matter of taking off the case, and putting on a new one, right?

BuddyC

mattx5 said:
Couldn't he just put the broken one in the box, or do they check serial numbers?

In any case, swapping the guts shouldn't be too hard, it's just a matter of taking off the case, and putting on a new one, right?

They check serials.

It shouldn't be too bad, but if he has a JP Cube and replaces it with US guts he'll need to mod it (which is very, very easy) to play his import games.

I opened it up, dusted it and checked all the connections. And something I did must have worked, because its working fine now. Oh, and by the way, the wall mart scam wouldn't have worked, due to the fact that the GC is modded to play US games, and I live in Ireland. Which would mean I could get a nice new PAL GC, but because 90% of my games are American (the other 10% are japanese) I'd have nothing to play on it.

BuddyC

Newbie said:
I opened it up, dusted it and checked all the connections. And something I did must have worked, because its working fine now. Oh, and by the way, the wall mart scam wouldn't have worked, due to the fact that the GC is modded to play US games, and I live in Ireland. Which would mean I could get a nice new PAL GC, but because 90% of my games are American (the other 10% are japanese) I'd have nothing to play on it.

sad.gif

Top Bottom