• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What kind of shenanigans do you expect to see in Street Fighter 6?

Knightime_X

I noticed a lot of BS tactics used in other sf games have either a lesser effect or just won't work at all in 6.
With mechanics like Drive Impact, and no chip damage while you have drive meter I can see players dramatically changing up their gameplay.
I can also see some attempting to do the same old tricks used in the past.

Not sure if Guile cosplaying as a turtle spamming flash kicks and sonic booms will be AS effective in this.
The same goes for character X doing Y or Z.
Except for Zangief. MF seems to been upgraded to nightmare fuel now. 😬

Elbereth

Streetfighter 6: Grapplers Revenge

But honestly, its way too early to make a determination either way.

I really love the risk/reward system of the drive mechanic though. Creates a much better balance.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm not really a Street Fighter guy anymore, the gameplay looks much more boring especially at the pro level. I much prefer Guilty Gear , Tekken and Mortal Kombat style of fighting games. Melty Blood and DNF Duel seem to be at the other side of the spectrum as Street Fighter 6 and I don't like those either.

Since Street Fighter 5 I've watched tournaments to help me fall asleep at night. I think it's one of those games thats much more exciting to play than to watch. I see that continuing in SF6.

No chip damage means less fireball spamming that's for sure. I predict more nude mods (God, I'm a genius).

Edit: Is air block in the game? It needs to be.

Last edited:
I think Drive Impact might create some problems in the neutral and there should probably be a defensive option for players who are in burnout state, but at the cost of depleting their health or something (or just trade in their Super Gauge costing them a bar of Super) for utilizing it. Not that such an option should also auto-refill the Drive Gauge, just be something they can use to escape Drive Impact BS and spam in the corner when in burnout.

I have noticed in the demo that normal grabs beat regular Shoryuken, so I'm guess those don't have invincibility frames on start-up but it was similar in SFV. I don't mind throws being strong TBH; you have enough time to tech them.

No chip damage means less fireball spamming that's for sure. I predict more nude mods (God, I'm a genius).

Chip damage is still a thing if you're in burnout state, FWIW.

And yes there will definitely be more nude mods. That's going to get crazy. Lots of research opportunities there.

Knightime_X

I'm not really a Street Fighter guy anymore, the gameplay looks much more boring especially at the pro level. I much prefer Guilty Gear , Tekken and Mortal Kombat style of fighting games. Melty Blood and DNF Duel seem to be at the other side of the spectrum as Street Fighter 6 and I don't like those either.

Since Street Fighter 5 I've watched tournaments to help me fall asleep at night. I think it's one of those games thats much more exciting to play than to watch. I see that continuing in SF6.

Edit: Is air block in the game? It needs to be.
Neither air block or or being able to regain control like in sf alpha 3 is in 6.
If you jump in 6 you must dedicate your intentions.
Also no more horse shit empty jump air parries like in sf3 third strike. (Thank god)

Rush2112

Banned
DSP is going to complain about lag for sure. Then he’ll rage quit after losing twice to the same person.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Neither air block or or being able to regain control like in sf alpha 3 is in 6.
If you jump in 6 you must dedicate your intentions.
Also no more horse shit empty jump air parries like in sf3 third strike. (Thank god)
I was never a fan of the parry system, but i think you should be able to do empty jump in's without getting destroyed.

Not sure if Guile cosplaying as a turtle spamming flash kicks and sonic booms will be AS effective in this.
From my time with the beta, throwing fireballs is way less thoughtful in this game than SFV. You could get screwed in SFV if you weren't careful since there are a lot of anti fireball moves, but it's really easy to spam them out in SF6. They even took the projectile invincibility off of level one supers if I remember correctly.

Drive Impact will be irritating at first, but like every other Street Fighter, it will be day one strategy and will never be a lone tactic to win against anyone that's decent.

Jinzo Prime

Street Fighter 6 will be in a unique position when it launches in June. Two months after launch it will be the headline game at Evo with a 2 million dollar prize pool, 1 mill for the Grand Champion.

Top players from SF 5 and beyond are coming for that money, so the cheesiest strategies will be found in record time.

I expect to see a lot of Zangiefs and Marissas at Evo this year.

Last edited:

Joramun

Street Fighter 6 will be in a unique position when it launches in June. Two months after launch it will be the headline game at Evo with a 2 million dollar prize pool, 1 mill for the Grand Champion.

Top players from SF 5 and beyond are coming for that money, so the cheesiest strategies will be found in record time.

I expect to see a lot of Zangiefs and Marissas at Evo this year.
Are the EVO tournaments live streamed for free?

I noticed a lot of BS tactics used in other sf games have either a lesser effect or just won't work at all in 6.
With mechanics like Drive Impact, and no chip damage while you have drive meter I can see players dramatically changing up their gameplay.
I can also see some attempting to do the same old tricks used in the past.

Zangief sniffs before he grabs now
XuI4fHD.jpg

mxbison

Lots of modern control style bullshit.

Seems like it might actually be better than classic for some characters, even at pro level.

Top Bottom