• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What screensavers do you guys use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J2 Cool

I had the Matrix Code for awhile but usually just some basic text or default screensaver cause I've never really looked for any to download

I would love to have a free screensaver suite akin to those found on linux. Is there such a thing?

hobbitx

lol, I use have that Matrix one too, another one I loved was that spiderman 3d screensaver, that was probably one of my all time favs. I don't use screensavers much at all these days.

SKluck

Banned
Monitors shuts off after 30 minutes.

I also have one of those really nice 3d virtual fish tank things like look like the real thing when you set it to a high enough resolution. Never use it though.

DCX

DCX
SKluck said:
Monitors shuts off after 30 minutes.

I also have one of those really nice 3d virtual fish tank things like look like the real thing when you set it to a high enough resolution. Never use it though.
That's what i have...looks great!!

DCX

J2 Cool

whats the best free aquariam screensaver? Those things cost the price of a game some of em and its just a screensaver

Dyne

Laptop here; I always key it to standby when I'm not using it or just turn it off if it's the end of the day.

Side note: Screensavers are REALLY annoying when I'm trying to watch movies.

I used to love screensavers, hah.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I really don't understand the modern screensaver. What's the point of having this 3D-happy lightshow stressing out my video card and CPU while my system is, in reality, doing nothing? I have this neat, interactive screensaver installed on my machine - it involves me making a graoning noise as I reach up and slap the power button on my monitor.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
It goes to this Gran Turismo 4 screensaver after 30 minutes, then the monitor shuts off after 45 minutes.

So what's the absolute best looking 3D virtual aquarium screensaver? I tried Google searching, but there are literally thousands of entires to sort through, and most look like crap/scams.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
As a XP user, I use the photo album screensaver. It is basically a slideshow of all the photos I took. Of course, you can set the folder which the screensaver will scan for the pictures, so it's really convinient and great at the same time. I often find myself just sort of staring at the slideshow looking at all the photos that pop up on the monitor... great memories :)

Meier

I dont use one on my own PC but when I am at home, there's a Mini screensaver since my mom has one.

Anthropic

Semjaza Azazel said:
I always wanted that hazy color line thing that new Macs have for screen savers. Is there a PC alternative for that?

That screensaver is called Flurry, and it's actually an open source, multiplatform thing, so you can actually use it on your PC. There's two Windows ports, one from the guy who did the Mac version and one from someone how improved on the first guy's code.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/flurry32
http://www.maddogsw.com/flurry/

Personally, I use Folding@Home.

NetMapel said:
As a XP user, I use the photo album screensaver. It is basically a slideshow of all the photos I took. Of course, you can set the folder which the screensaver will scan for the pictures, so it's really convinient and great at the same time. I often find myself just sort of staring at the slideshow looking at all the photos that pop up on the monitor... great memories :)
Similar here. However, I set it to my Wallpapers directory. As I use Wallpaper Cycler to switch my wallpaper every day or so, I've got a few hundred in there for it to randomly display.

ElyrionX

Damn, I've been trying to look for the Matrix Code screensaver the past 20 minutes with no luck. Can someone please hook me up with a link?

I think I managed to find an official screensaver but the damn code moves so fast that the whole thing just suck. I can't believe screensaver sites have actually degenerated so much. I can't even find a simple screensaver download site anymore.......

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Yeeeeaaaars ago I used to use one where the monitor was all fogged up like a steamy mirror and a hand wrote messages from the other side...complete with squeaking wet glass noises...

I used to make it write "help me!"

Good times :D

J2 Cool

ElyrionX said:
Damn, I've been trying to look for the Matrix Code screensaver the past 20 minutes with no luck. Can someone please hook me up with a link?

I think I managed to find an official screensaver but the damn code moves so fast that the whole thing just suck. I can't believe screensaver sites have actually degenerated so much. I can't even find a simple screensaver download site anymore.......

http://www.download.com/MatrixMania-Screensaver/3000-2390-8828534.html?tag=lst-0-6

I use this one. Looks pretty good imo. And yeah, I can attest to all the shit matrix screensavers there are. Found one that's kinda cool though. Says your name your logged in under and substitutes your name for "Neo". Recreating the scene from the first one. Anyway, that's the classic right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom