• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was ESPN thinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJ_Tet

Banned
There seem to be a good helping of sports fans on this forum (albeit a beyond healthy helping of Jordan and Houston fans), so perhaps I can help. I do most of my sports-talk on other forums, but maybe there are enough here that I can contribute.

Why has ESPN cut time from their third and fourth best shows? Rome Is Burning (retitled Jim Rome is Burning in it's second season) has been cut from an hour to 45 min and Beyond the Lines has been cut from a half hour to 20 min or even 15 min on Thursday. What would possess ESPN to cut these shows' time? Sportscenter and PTI are obviously their best shows, but why cut BTL down? Just to help it fit into late-night reruns better?

It's too bad that ESPN cares more about highlights (hell if I wanted highlights, and I do, I'd turn to ESPNews) than they do about journalism and commentary.

Miguel

Shit, when does JRiB come on now?

And they cut 15 minutes from it? Fuck.

I don't know why exactly they'd cut time from those shows. I'd rather have a little less X Games and WSoP coverage...but. I'm rarely home recently cause of work, so, I just tiVo most stuff and watch it later.

DJ_Tet

Banned
JRiB comes on on Thursdays. And yeah, it's only 45 min long now, which isn't THAT big a deal to people who get his radio show and have 15 hours of JR a week. To the person who doesn't have JR in his local market, those 15 min are huge.l

Miguel

DJ_Tet said:
JRiB comes on on Thursdays. And yeah, it's only 45 min long now, which isn't THAT big a deal to people who get his radio show and have 15 hours of JR a week. To the person who doesn't have JR in his local market, those 15 min are huge.l

Hehe, work has killed my listening to Rome recently. Or sleep.

I used to listen to Rome 15 hours a week, and would NEVER miss his radio show. TREMENDOUS. THAT WAS A GREAT CALL. I would even say it's..................................................................................EPIC!

sonatinas

I believe they should hire a new producer for sports center. The format they use is rather tired and their top ten lists are extremely stale. Everything seems so robotic when they talk about the sports news. Thats why i rather get my sports new and commentary from the power hour of around the horn and pti. Also, Dan Patrick almost kills the show right at the beginning when he says his poor lines before sports center.

But that's just me.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I'm watching less and less ESPN lately. It's gotten so repetitive and worn out. Get ready for something worse though, I read somewhere that they are going to start having live musical performances during Sportscenter. Yes, you read that right.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I think outside the lines was cut because they don't have enough content to fill the entire half hour every night. The sunday show has been suffering since they went to a nightly format. Also, many of the episodes are simply segments taken from SportsCenter with some extra commentary at the end.

Phoenix

For the same reason that Time Warner killed their ill-thought out Sports Illustrated channel. Money ($). The time is going to be spent on doing things that rake in more dough and this tends to be more TV series style content like Playmakers, which is what the NEW demographic wants more of. Even women, a valuable and for ESPN unexpected demographic, will tune in to watch these types of shows and the reformatting of ESPN (they are bunching their time better to allow for the intro of new shows) is to take advantage of this.

... or so I have dreamt :)

effzee

sportscenter is boring in this month of july. its all baseball. next month as football starts to begin...thats when its back to excitement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom