• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's a good digi camera to get at $500 range?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitewulf

Sony DSC V1, it great for point and shoot purposes. The Canon powershot G5 is a better camera, but harder to learn.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
canon powershot S1 IS

heres me fucking around with 32x zoom (10 optical, 3.2 digital) at magic mountain.
zoomtest.jpg

both shots are from the same location

Kingpen

I vouch for the G5... I have the G3, the previous version of the G# line and it is really good. If your spending that much cash, you want a camera with a lot of very nice features. I bought my G3 for 650 online 2 years ago ($800 retail price at the time) and don't regret it at all

SickBoy

At that price, your options are really wide open...

What's most important to you?

- Resolution
- Zoom
- Size

You can get:
A high resolution (5MP) camera with average zoom and a fairly compact size.
A slightly lower-resolution (4MP) camera with similar zoom and a very compact size
A 3 or 4 MP camera with monster zoom but not very compact size.

-SB

You can turn the S60 into a 6X optical Zoom camera with a small 100 dollar zoomlens add on. With this add on it is still smallar than the G5 and the S1.

DaveH

EarthStormFire said:
You can turn the S60 into a 6X optical Zoom camera with a small 100 dollar zoomlens add on. With this add on it is still smallar than the G5 and the S1.

But it wouldn't have the image stablizer to make such shots practical without a tripod.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have the Sony V1, and its basically the F717 in a more compact form (very highly regarded camera). Auto and manual modes.

Other than that, the canon powershots are also V.good, but I find them a little fiddly to use.

I recommend the Powershot S1 IS as well. I used it for 2 weeks on vacation and have been unsatisfied with my regular camera (powerhsot A75) ever since. Here's why I like it so much:

10x optical zoom (gets you damn close to whatever you wanna shoot)
Fast Lens (f3.1 at full telephoto)
Image Stabalization (helps a lot in getting those low-light shots that need just a little bit slower of a shutter speed)
EXCELLENT Video Mode (640x480 at 30 FPS, with image stabilization and zoom both functional in video mode)
Great burst mode shooting (with a fast enough memory card, there's no way to fill up the cameras buffer)
Flip Out LCD (lets you get a wider variety of angles (i.e. shooting above the heads in a crowd, ect))
Ultra Fast/Quiet Zoom Motor (gets to 10x optical zoom in 1 second, without the grinding you'll hear in other digicams)
Optional Remote Control
Uses Compact Flash (cheapest type of memory)
Compact compared to other cameras in its class - the only other comparable one, in my opinion, is the FZ10, and it way bulkier.

I'd try one out and see what you think.

~Cris

The Advantage of the S60 are.

1. Resolution: It is a 5 MP camera.

2. Wide Angle Lens: Out of all of the cameras listed so far it is the only one with a wide angle lense. This is great for large group pictures.

3. Uncompressed Images: It and the G5 are the only cameras listen that can store images with out compression. JPEG compression results in lower quality.

4. Size: Out of all of the cameras listed it is the smallest one by a long shot.

5. Macro Focusing: Only the S60 and the G5 can focus on items only 2 inches a way.

SickBoy

I think this is all pointless until BruceWayne clarifies what he's looking for. There are clear advantages and disadvantages to specific cameras, but until it's clear what his preference is, it's hard to recommend one over another.

I'm wondering if the $500 figure is just some arbitrary amount, and he might be satisfied with a less expensive camera.

-SB

I can't vouch for any of the other cameras, as I haven't had any hands on time with them, but I can vouch for the Sony DSC P100. It's 5.1 Megapixels, has a 3x optical zoom, and just provides incredible image quality. Better than most other cameras I've seen. I picked it up when I was in Japan, and I couldn't be happier. It's small, pretty, and it works great. The retail on the camera is $399, but you may be able to find it cheaper online. The US and Japanese versions are identical.

Here's a pic of the camera itself:

h158DSCP100.jpeg

h158dscp100-b.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom