• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's better: RAID or 2 seperate Serial drives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

El Papa

I'm putting together components for my next PC I plan to build. I origianlly was going to put a RAID array with 2 seagate 80 gig serial HDs. Is there really a big advantage to this though? I like having 2 physical drives, drive 1 with two partitions for OS, Programs and drive 2 for my documents media (music & movies), and scratch disk. I do a lot of Potoshop and other graphics stuff, so I like to have a big scratch disk. Would I get that much of a performance increase with a raid setup as opposed to the one I just described with serial drives? I going to use this PC for gaming too, lots or great PC games I've missed out on because of my weak PC :(

Maybe I should go crazy and get 3 drives, 1 soley dedicated to scratchdisk and pagefile :)

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
golem beat me to it. I was going to quote the same anandtech review.

You're better off seperate. Less drive crashes.

And you can download on one drive while playing a game on another. Much faster than a whooping 2% increase RAID offers in performance.

Pellham

Banned
I dunno, a raid 0 sata array is pretty damn faster, much faster than non-raid sata. it's especially awesome for gaming.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
2584.png

"If you haven't gotten the hint by now, we'll spell it out for you: there is no place, and no need for a RAID-0 array on a desktop computer. The real world performance increases are negligible at best and the reduction in reliability, thanks to a halving of the mean time between failure, makes RAID-0 far from worth it on the desktop."

OH, I WISH I BLEW THAT EXTRA $300 FOR RAID 0 WD RAPTORS. THEN FAR CRY COULD LOAD 3 SECOND FASTER. OH TEH FUCK, IT LOADS FASTER WITH NO RAID...

fart

Savant
the raid is going to lower your data integrity. unless you need 300gb of swap space i would avoid non-redundant striping and spanning like the plague.

El Papa

Thanks guys for the input.

Pellham said:
I dunno, a raid 0 sata array is pretty damn faster, much faster than non-raid sata. it's especially awesome for gaming.
Pellham, how do you know this?

Right now I'm leaning toward non-RAID and possibly a smaller 3rd serial drive for scratchdisk.

I was running raid 0 before I did a fresh install a month or so ago. Got lazy and didn't want to take the few seconds it takes to set it up again. I can't tell a difference in speed without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom