• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's Sony's Policy Regarding Repairing PS2s?

I recall a while back that Sony began a policy in which if you just sent in your broken PS2, they would fix your system for free, as long as you paid for shipping. Is this still true? If so, what's the number to call to get things set up?

I ask cuz a friend of mine has two (!) broken PS2s. He's offered to sell them both, so I figured if I could get them repaired all cheap like, I would have two systems, one for work, and the other for play! Perhaps I can only get just one fixed. If so, then so be it....

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
If the system is opened, they will likely not do much.

When you call them up, they will ask you a series of a questions, dependin on how you answer the questions determines what they do. At least thats what it seemed like to me

zmet

Yeah, they fixed mine for free but the repair wasn't a permanent fix. My repaired unit started having problems reading my games all over again after 9 months. My suggestion is just to buy a new 50001 model. I've had no problem whatsoever with the new unit. Oh and the # is 1-800-345-SONY (7669)

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
FortNinety said:
I recall a while back that Sony began a policy in which if you just sent in your broken PS2, they would fix your system for free, as long as you paid for shipping. Is this still true? If so, what's the number to call to get things set up?

I ask cuz a friend of mine has two (!) broken PS2s. He's offered to sell them both, so I figured if I could get them repaired all cheap like, I would have two systems, one for work, and the other for play! Perhaps I can only get just one fixed. If so, then so be it....

It's true. There's a faq under hardware for ps2 at gamefaqs. They will ask you a series of questions on the phone that are fairly easy to answer "correctly". It's important that you stress they started to fail at reading certain types of discs (say, blue back) before they broke. They don't care if your system has been opened or if the warranty label is there or where you got it. They will ask you if it's been modded (hope you say no).

Suikoguy said:
If the system is opened, they will likely not do much.

When you call them up, they will ask you a series of a questions, dependin on how you answer the questions determines what they do. At least thats what it seemed like to me

The system being opened didn't matter for me (a failed modchip installation). They fixed it and even kindly slapped a new label on the side where the old torn one was! :D

Update: I'm going to be getting the friend's busted PS2 very soon, but he says the label on the back has been broken. It was working for a while, stopped reading DVDs, and now is totally dead. So I guess I qualify?

jarrod

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
It's true. There's a faq under hardware for ps2 at gamefaqs. They will ask you a series of questions on the phone that are fairly easy to answer "correctly". It's important that you stress they started to fail at reading certain types of discs (say, blue back) before they broke. They don't care if your system has been opened or if the warranty label is there or where you got it. They will ask you if it's been modded (hope you say no).
Wasn't this the result of some class action lawsuit?

jedimike

My friend just got his fixed for free... they asked him how long he's had it and he answered... "I don't know, but I'm one of the dumbasses that paid $300 for it." He said the lady was cracking up and fixed it for free.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
I know someone who had their PS2 fixed from Sony(had a modchip in though) because it stopped reading some discs, and Sony was kind enough to fix his PS2 and put the modchip in a little baggie along with the wires :D

Top Bottom