• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's stopping the MK developers from scanning real people?

FightyF

Banned
Makes sense, doesn't it?

Use a 3D scanner and scan player models off of real, dressed up actors. It worked well for The Getaway, which unfortunately had to drive the resolution (polygon res that is) down to a few polys, but a fighting game can afford to use far more on just 2 characters. Apparently my Uni has the same scanner used by the developers of The Getaway (who contracted a 3rd party to do it for them AFAIK).

And hey, with the high res model, they can create bump maps out of it and transfer them to a low res model and it would look awesome.

Imagine seeing these real life looking characters being put into these vicious combat situations. It's what made the originals so outrageous and contraversial in the first place, had the characters looked hand-drawn it would not have gotten the attention it did by the mass media.

I should work for Midway.

DMczaf

They need to go back to real actors!!!!!

Oh yeah, Sub-Zero's alternate costume in MK:D is the worst crap EVER! Who the fuck thought of Sub-Zero bald with a pony tail?!

It's a good idea, and the only thing that would make it better would be to use the Soldier of Fortune GHOUL engine for more realistic damage modeling.

fugimax

Totally unrelated (well, kind of)...but this topic made me think of Way of the Warrior for 3DO. That game was the shit back in the day. Poor man's MK. Had music by White Zombie in I think..

FightyF

Banned
Not only would I use scanned characters, I would include an advanced facial animation system that realistically shows the pain each fighter is going through. It would really change the way people view fighting games.

Soundwave: I agree. A realistic damage modelling system would be awesome.

Again, I should be the lead producer on the next one.

Actually...Way of the Warrior gave me an idea...maybe I should just make a ripoff! :)

Base it on the HL2 engine...can do great facial animations there.

kasavin

Totally agreed. I was thinking the same thing just the other day--I'd love to see MK go back to the original digitized look. Just as the digitized graphics did 10+ years ago for MK1-3, they'd probably help visually distinguish the series today. No one uses FMV anymore, probably due to a combination of it having an undeservedly bad reputation and being too expensive to justify; time for a comeback I say.

FightyF

Banned
And what's stopping people from developing a 3DO Emulator?

wayofthewarrior-fox.jpg

I need to play WotW, just for laughs!

From what I've heard, doing a 3D scan of anything gives you a model with an absurd amount of geometry and a lot of intersecting geometry too IIRC. So basically you'd spend more time editing the scan so you can actually do something with it than you would making a model from scratch.

LakeEarth

Oni Link 666 said:
From what I've heard, doing a 3D scan of anything gives you a model with an absurd amount of geometry and a lot of intersecting geometry too IIRC. So basically you'd spend more time editing the scan so you can actually do something with it than you would making a model from scratch.

So it's something that'll be more viable next generation, or next next generation?

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
EakeLarth said:
So it's something that'll be more viable next generation, or next next generation?

basically it gives you a bunch of junk, same with motion capture, requires tons of editing but its the best reference you can get

Pachinko

That game Siren on PS2 managed to do pretty convincing texture maps that looked like asian actors. I think the true reason that MK has the look it does now though, isn't due to hardware constraints or what have you, I think it's moreso that the original MK artist is the guy who left to work at MS game studios and made that awful Tao Feng(which although really bad, I thought was marginally better then MK DA). Whatever the current artwork is, likely gets better representation with the current 3D models.

Top Bottom