• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the best controller for Mame?

I'm looking for something that's plug and play with little to no setup involved

Anyone know of a good PC arcade stick? Or you think I should just get a USB adapter and
use a console arcade stick?

evil ways

I used to have a Microsoft Sidewinder but it was painfull and crappy for fighting games, so I went with an USB adapter and now use a PSX/PS2 controller.

Gattsu25

Banned
manette001.jpg

Galaron

EA guy that we like
I use the X-Arcade stick and am very happy with it. I have the two-player version for Robotron, Smash TV, etc. It doesn't have a trackball or spinner, so no Marble Madness or Tempest, but I can live without.

http://www.x-arcade.com/two-player.shtml

There are others out there (the Slikstik), but I haven't had any problem with my X-Arcade.

The Slikstiks are the cadillacs, truely very nice but simply too big to sit on a desk. If you had a MAME cabinet planned, you would consider them but otherwise...

The X-Arcade solo is perfect. It's the perfect size. It's supported by all the popular emulators. And, like the other PC sticks, the emulators can configure the buttons to match the arcade perfectly. If you need two you get two, three you get three. If you need a Capcom six you got it, if you need a SNK slant four you got that too. This is your stick.

There's a dual shock floating above, and that's perfect for 8 and 16-bit emulation, not to mention modern games, but not as good as a stick for Mame. All those games originally used a stick after all. Plus, you'll have to configure the buttons on the dual shock yourself, and Mame's UI ain't pretty. You can choose one option each for Mame and Kawaks and you have perfect X-Arcade button configs across the board.

Get a\the USB adaptor for the X-Arcade too, PS2 serial sux

ArcadeStickMonk said:
There's a dual shock floating above, and that's perfect for 8 and 16-bit emulation, not to mention modern games, but not as good as a stick for Mame. All those games originally used a stick after all. Plus, you'll have to configure the buttons on the dual shock yourself, and Mame's UI ain't pretty. You can choose one option each for Mame and Kawaks and you have perfect X-Arcade button configs across the board.

Get a\the USB adaptor

I'm confused so you think I should get the X-Arcade solo or a dual-shock USB adapter?
What about using a dual-shock USB adapter with like a Tekken fighting stick has anyone tried that?

Sumasshu

What about using a dual-shock USB adapter with like a Tekken fighting stick has anyone tried that?
It depends on which brand of PS2 usb converter you buy. Some work really well with pretty much all accessories, while others only work with the first part controllers. Make sure you read the user comments about the product before you buy it, because they will usually tell you how limited it is.

Coincidentally just last night I purchased a Super Dual Box PS2 usb converter from Yoho Games.
3902.jpg

From what I read around the internet, this one is supposed to be pretty good. I'll see when I get it though. :)

Ah.. my bad. I see how that looks.

Get the X-Arcade solo. Get a USB adaptor for it. Turning off your machine to unplug the PS2 serial or having a keyboard attached to it blows. You want that thing to hotswap.

I've used random console sticks, not a Hori, with usb adaptors, and they can work. But the X never needs to be configured in any way in Mame or Kawaks. Ever. Well, I guess if you want to play Sexy Reaction with it...

When adapting a console stick to the PC, the marriage of the stick an adaptor can be frought with peril. They might be incompatible, they might lag, they might drop input. An X-Arcade feels better than most console sticks and you don't have to worry about lag, drops, or configs.

Plus it's sturdy as hell... except for one part. Lemme dig this piece up, gimme a sec...
Read this first.

Just to prepare yourself

Whoa, I forgot how those guys responded to that old thread. They really hate the X over there. Don't fret, for what you want to do, it's the perfect product.

Takosuke

Get a Magic Box from Lik-Sang, then find a Saturn Arcade Stick.
It's the best layout for arcade games, since you can configure all the buttons as on the real systems (Capcom 6 buttons, SNK 4 buttons etc.).

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
I'm using my Dual Shock 2 controller for MAME and other emulators, but can anyone help in to finding a way to calibrate the dpad for games that requires half-circle movements like in Street Fighter 2 or Mortal Kombat? Is there like a driver I have to download or something?

Defensor said:
I'm using my Dual Shock 2 controller for MAME and other emulators, but can anyone help in to finding a way to calibrate the dpad for games that requires half-circle movements like in Street Fighter 2 or Mortal Kombat? Is there like a driver I have to download or something?

Switch analog mode off

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm seeing good reviews for the Radio Shack adapter. I think I'm gonna try that one out. For $10 it's worth a shot.

Top Bottom