• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the best ways to transfer files from desktop to labtop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stele

Holds a little red book
The desktop I'm transferring files from is a nearly 6 year old IBM. It only has a 7 GB harddrive and USB ports. What's the most hassle-free method of transferring some files from the computer to my labtop? I don't want to burn CDs, because that'll make all the files read-only. Thank you to anyone that offers help.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
You just right click the files, click on properties, and click off the "read only" checkbox

You can set up a network with a crossover cable, provided the old pc has an ethernet card in it. Also, try a usb-to-usb transfer cable. Won't go as fast and will most likely require outside software, but it'll get the job done. Or, ya know, just burn a CD like the men said! :)

xsarien

daedsiluap
Wario64 said:
You just right click the files, click on properties, and click off the "read only" checkbox

The old schooler in me wants you to open a DOS prompt, and rock that shit with the attrib command (e.g., attrib *.* -r) :p

Stele

Holds a little red book
Thanks Metstallica. I think that would be the fastest way actually -- buying the USB cable.

Fusebox

Banned
Just another suggestion - Got an iPod? There's your 20 gig removable drive if you cant get the x-over working.

Alcibiades

metsallica said:
You can set up a network with a crossover cable, provided the old pc has an ethernet card in it. Also, try a usb-to-usb transfer cable. Won't go as fast and will most likely require outside software, but it'll get the job done. Or, ya know, just burn a CD like the men said! :)

crap, I've been looking for one of these...

I don't care how slow it is, as long as I can get stuff from a 1.1 USB laptop to a 2.0 USB desktop that's great...

Vlad

xsarien said:
The old schooler in me wants you to open a DOS prompt, and rock that shit with the attrib command (e.g., attrib *.* -r) :p

Ah, good, so I wasn't the only person stuck in the DOS ages...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom