• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's your favorite amusement park?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mine would have to be Cedar Point. C'mon, they've got 16 rollercoasters ! And one of them is this one:

Top Thrill Dragster
TTD07.jpg

Track Length: 2,800 feet
Lift Height: 420 feet
Angle of Lift Hill: 90 degrees
Vertical Drop: 400 feet
Angle of Descent: 90 degrees
Angle of Twist on Descent: 270 degrees
Speed: 120 MPH

The Millenium Force is also fun:

10619535-29fb-028001E0-.jpg

mfheight.jpg

Almost 100 MPH with no sides on the cars!
upcloseHORZ2.jpg

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I don't know, but it would have to specialize in non-rollercoasters. When I first went on a rollercoaster (batman @ six flags st louis) , the muscles in my body tensed up and crap, especially my arms, my hands couldnt open so I needed a family member to unclip me. It was hard to walk, and then I wasn't fully better for 3 hours. Later while we still had time I tried the Ninja, it wasn't so bad. I felt like I was gonna puke before I went on, but afterwards I was fresh as a daisy. I was still lightheaded and all tingly though.

Then a couple years later my friends and I go to a different place and we ride the Viper. It was basically a sissy rollercoaster, but there were these mini-hills, and when we went over those my head felt like it was gonna explode and my ears popped (I thought this was normal going down big hills so I didnt ask). I came away from that with tingly arms and a dry throat, asked my friends if they felt the same thing on those parts of the ride, and they said no. So yeah I don't know what it is but rollercoasters mess me up, they're exciting but not fun for me.

Tuvoc

Cedar Point of course.

But now the owners of Cedar Point have bought Six Flags in Geauga, OH and its back to being called Geauga Lake. And I can only imagine what they'll do to that park now that they've taken the animal section out of it.

shoplifter

Tuvoc said:
Cedar Point of course.

But now the owners of Cedar Point have bought Six Flags in Geauga, OH and its back to being called Geauga Lake. And I can only imagine what they'll do to that park now that they've taken the animal section out of it.

I think they want to try to keep it small, kind of like the old non-Sea World involved Geauga Lake.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
My favorite is also Cedar Point, if anyone went to this park, I would be surprised if it was not their favorite. Unless they dislike amazing rollercoasters :)

Sadly I haven't ever been to Cedar Point. It's on my list though. Right now I'd have to say my favorite theme park is either Disney/MGM Studios or Universal's Islands of Adventure.

bionic77

Disneyworld, because garbage magically disapears when you turn your head for a second and there are never any bugs there. Plus Tower of Terror is like the greatest ride of all time.

bjork

Coin Return said:
Why dont we just change the thread title to "favorite ride at Cedar Point?"

because someone will drop the inevitable "your mom lolz" post, if that happened.

bjork said:
because someone will drop the inevitable "your mom lolz" post, if that happened.

Heh, I'm sure you're right...

Paramount Canada's Wonderland is also pretty good. Has anyone been on the new Tomb Raider rollercoaster there?

3234.jpg

Shockwave is fun, but makes me too queasy:

3439.jpg

heavy liquid said:
Heh, I'm sure you're right...

Paramount Canada's Wonderland is also pretty good. Has anyone been on the new Tomb Raider rollercoaster there?

3234.jpg

Shockwave is fun, but makes me too queasy:

3439.jpg

Tomb Raider is rather mehish, I rode it twice before the park opened this year...I'm a manager in the games department so I'm at the park almost all the time!

Kefkaff

Banned
I went to Wonderland a few weeks ago. I hate rollercoasters/rides so it was kinda boring. Although I did go on rides that I usually would NEVer go on. like Sledgehammer, Cyclone, Canadian Minebuster, and the Vortex.

My friends went on the TOmb Raider ride and said it wasn't worth the long ass wait.

Belfast

Never been to CP, so I'm going to have to go with the Universal/IoA complex. Sure, it may be two parks, but they're literally right next to eachother.

Disney is great when you're a kid and you go for your first time. It just has this WOW factor. But I'd say its a lot less engaging this days. They're in need of a major overhaul.

But IoA has good rollercoasters and its other attractions are up to snuff, too. Plus Universal has some classics and the new Mummy ride.

B'z-chan

Banned
bjork said:
Magic Mountain in So Cal, choosing from the ones I've been to.

Same here bro. Great place for a weekend get away. Just hed on down from fresno and have a good time.

So does that new coaster thats 420 feet high trump all the rest in the world? Ceder Point is on the list of places to go. Behind the 2.3 mile track that is in Japan, now that thing is just freaking nuts.

I love viper a MM its great, but you'll never get me on batman again. I was stuck on that ride six times through, and the attendants didnt even help. The latch had shorted out and the safty wasnt working so it was a moving. And it was scary

Riddlers is the ball buster and well i love Golioth and Superman. I rode superman 10 times in a row and its the best high you can get.

moist

Cedar Point

Too bad I haven't been back since the top Thrill Dragster opened :(

The Millenium force is definatly the win however.

MIMIC

Banned
Cedar Point (although I've only been to three amusement parks in my entire life :))

Top Thrill Dragster is a great ride. The only scary part, IMO, is the "wait till launch."

AeroGod

The best part about Cedar Point in the location, the veiw from the top of the taller rides is astounding. Plus going in the fall with the cool breeze weather. Nothing worse then standing in line for a ride for an hour or two in 90 degree weather with unbearable humidity.

carpal

God I need to get to Cedar Point. My favorite that I have been to is probably Islands of Adventure, but I guess that ain't sayin' much.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I actually didnt like Cedar point all that much, its still one of the better parks I have been too, but it was really dirty.. thats why I really dont like Cedar Fair or Six Flags parks.. bad theming, huge crowds and filth dampen the experience for me. I thought they had a handfull of good rides (Magnum XL, Raptor are the only REALLY good rides at the park).. and then they had a shit ton of crappy rollercoasters. Mantis is the best stand up rollercoaster I have ever been on, but thats not saying much because if I want to get kicked in the crotch for 3 minutes, Ill just go insult a linebacker (Ive rideen the Georgia Scorcher, Riddlers revenge, Mantis and some shitty batman ride in Houston).

I cant really limit it to one park, but Islands of Adventure, the two Bush Gardens parks, and Knoebel's would have ot be my favorite.. Knoebels is great because it feels like a park from the turn of the century still.. it doesnt have alot of rides, but what they do have there is great. the Bush Gardens parks are very similar in that respect they only have about 3-4 rollercoasters a piece, but what they do have shits all over anything at other parks... plus all of these parks are clean, very well spaced out, you never run into huge crowds outside of a line and the themeing is very good.

Islands of adventure isnt nearly as clean as I would like it, but the theming was really good, and dueling dragons kicks ass. If you havent heard about this its great.. its a hanging rollercoaster like Raptor or Alpeingeist.. but there are two of them, and their tracks are timed so it looks like you are going to smack the other one... and its really effective, I lifted my feat up several times :p

Note: being the huge dork that I am, me and a couple friends actually drove cross country after we graduated high school and went to about 50 different theme parks.. which wasnt that bad, because we bought season passes to Six Flags and Seaworld in San Antonio anyway so we got in free or cheap at a lot of places.

StoOgE said:
I actually didnt like Cedar point all that much, its still one of the better parks I have been too, but it was really dirty.. thats why I really dont like Cedar Fair or Six Flags parks.. bad theming, huge crowds and filth dampen the experience for me. I thought they had a handfull of good rides (Magnum XL, Raptor are the only REALLY good rides at the park).. and then they had a shit ton of crappy rollercoasters. Mantis is the best stand up rollercoaster I have ever been on, but thats not saying much because if I want to get kicked in the crotch for 3 minutes, Ill just go insult a linebacker (Ive rideen the Georgia Scorcher, Riddlers revenge, Mantis and some shitty batman ride in Houston).

I cant really limit it to one park, but Islands of Adventure, the two Bush Gardens parks, and Knoebel's would have ot be my favorite.. Knoebels is great because it feels like a park from the turn of the century still.. it doesnt have alot of rides, but what they do have there is great. the Bush Gardens parks are very similar in that respect they only have about 3-4 rollercoasters a piece, but what they do have shits all over anything at other parks... plus all of these parks are clean, very well spaced out, you never run into huge crowds outside of a line and the themeing is very good.

Islands of adventure isnt nearly as clean as I would like it, but the theming was really good, and dueling dragons kicks ass. If you havent heard about this its great.. its a hanging rollercoaster like Raptor or Alpeingeist.. but there are two of them, and their tracks are timed so it looks like you are going to smack the other one... and its really effective, I lifted my feat up several times :p

Note: being the huge dork that I am, me and a couple friends actually drove cross country after we graduated high school and went to about 50 different theme parks.. which wasnt that bad, because we bought season passes to Six Flags and Seaworld in San Antonio anyway so we got in free or cheap at a lot of places.

Have you been back since the Millenium Force was implemented...The park seems cleaner now... Plus MF >>>>>>>> Magnum Although Magnum is a classic.

My favs are..

1. Millenium Force
2. Gemini (SOOOOOOOOOO FUN) plus I rode it like 10 times striaght without getting off..
3. Magnum XL (obvious reasons)
4. Raptor (by far the best suspended coaster ever.)
5. Blue Streak (old school fun)
6. Mantis (ehh, ok)
7. That one "coaster" where you go through the mist of water... I forgot the name... (Distaster Transport??)
8. The coaster inside the building

The rest don't really matter to me, I HATE that big woodn coaster, it's so slow and boring... I HATE the corkscrew, it ravages your brain... Am I misisng anything? The Wildcat is for the kiddies.

Also yes, being right on Lake Erie has it's advantages...it's usually cool, and if you're tire of rides you can go parasailing, or jet-sking, or personal watercrafts.... Or just relax on the beach and watch chicks in tiny swimsuits... Great Park... 10/10.

EDIT: I have yet to go back to ride the Dragster...

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
JeffDowns said:
Have you been back since the Millenium Force was implemented...The park seems cleaner now... Plus MF >>>>>>>> Magnum Although Magnum is a classic.

My favs are..

1. Millenium Force
2. Gemini (SOOOOOOOOOO FUN) plus I rode it like 10 times striaght without getting off..
3. Magnum XL (obvious reasons)
4. Raptor (by far the best suspended coaster ever.)
5. Blue Streak (old school fun)
6. Mantis (ehh, ok)
7. That one "coaster" where you go through the mist of water... I forgot the name... (Distaster Transport??)
8. The coaster inside the building

The rest don't really matter to me, I HATE that big woodn coaster, it's so slow and boring... I HATE the corkscrew, it ravages your brain... Am I misisng anything? The Wildcat is for the kiddies.

Also yes, being right on Lake Erie has it's advantages...it's usually cool, and if you're tire of rides you can go parasailing, or jet-sking, or personal watercrafts.... Or just relax on the beach and watch chicks in tiny swimsuits... Great Park... 10/10.

EDIT: I have yet to go back to ride the Dragster...

I'd put the dragster right behind the millenium force, but that's just because it is much shorter. Otherwise it is a must ride, going 120 mph without anything to block you from the wind is an incredible experience. Not to mention going 420 feet in the air...

kablooey

Cedar Point is great, but I think Islands of Adventure is almost as good. Cedar Point loses points for fucking ridiculous prices on food ($9 for shit-tastic chicken sandwiches? No thanks).

The Millenium Force is easily the best rollercoaster I've been on though. Amazing. Islands of Adventure, on the other hand, has less coasters, but has the advantage of its theme. I also like the idea of having different "worlds" in each section of the park; it's kind of like Mario 64 :p (well, it's probably the other way around). The Hulk ride at IoA is also one of the finer rides I've been on.

Finally, honorable mention goes to Kennywood, in Pittsburgh.

I agree Cedar Point was very badass. I would go every day if i lived right there. Its two hours away from cincinnati. I recommend this to anyone stopping through ohio

Blacklion

beat me to it
Magic mountain was the shiznit!! I live in Baltimore but went to Magic M after E3 one year but magic mountain was the cherry on top.

Cant wait to go to ceadar point it's definately on my list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom