• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When the heck are LCD monitors going to go down in price??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diablos

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-002-078&depa=0

24-002-078-06.JPG

Panel Type: TFT Active Matrix LCD
Native Resolution: SXGA 1280x1024
Pixel Pitch: 0.264 mm
Brightness: 260 cd/m2
Contrast Ratio: 450:1
Response Time: 16 ms
View Angle: 140° / 140° (Horizontal / Vertical)
Input Connectors: 15-pin mini D-SUB
Features: TILT: 35°, SWIVEL: 140°
Dimensions & Weight: 14.7" x 15.1" x 7.7" (WxHxD) / 12.8 lbs.
Manufacturer's Warranty / Phone No.: 3 Year Parts, Labor and backlight / 800-632-4662

$449. That's expensive as hell. When can I get one of these for like $200 or $250??

xsarien

daedsiluap
That is down. Two or three years ago you would've paid about twice as much.

(And a word of advice: If you're going LCD, make sure it has a DVI input. Standard VGA on LCD is teh s uck.)

VPhys

Makes me all the more happy I got my LCD over a year ago. I've been enjoying it ever since, and it has held its value quite well.

VPhys said:
Makes me all the more happy I got my LCD over a year ago. I've been enjoying it ever since, and it has held its value quite well.

Same here. I bought a Viewsonic 17" LCD about 6 months ago with a rebate thru dell for about $475 shipped, and as of now on Newegg, it's going for $525.

Easily one of the best comp purchases I've ever made, I love this thing. It evens does a 90 degree swivel, which is perfect for reading the net.

I love my LCD and the DVI input is a massive difference. Moreso than I expected. Too bad the DVI cable was so insanely expensive (although I got the Monster brand... couldn't find any others around here).

The only thing that sucks is that I got it around the time when most LCDs still topped at 1024x768. Oh well.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Semjaza Azazael said:
I love my LCD and the DVI input is a massive difference. Moreso than I expected. Too bad the DVI cable was so insanely expensive (although I got the Monster brand... couldn't find any others around here).

Man, you got boned. I'm running a Samsung, and the DVI cable is hard-wired into the unit.

xsarien said:
Man, you got boned. I'm running a Samsung, and the DVI cable is hard-wired into the unit.

It lets you use both, but sadly the model only came with the VGA cable. I've had mine for a few years now though, so I don't know what the standard for that back then was.

This is a legitimate question, please don't take offense, but what was the main motivation for you guys, to want an LCD monitor? Was it just the looks? Less desktop real estate taken up?

I've tried several top of the line LCD monitors, and I just can't get past their (relative, to CRT) slow response times. The image quality is almost on par with a good CRT, but even a 16ms response time still shows ghosting. When are they going to eliminate that problem? Also the fixed pixel output (native - otherwise it interpolates) is quite a killer for me as well.

maharg

idspispopd
Error Macro said:
This is a legitimate question, please don't take offense, but what was the main motivation for you guys, to want an LCD monitor? Was it just the looks? Less desktop real estate taken up?

I've tried several top of the line LCD monitors, and I just can't get passed their (relative, to CRT) slow response times. The image quality is almost on par with a good CRT, but even a 16ms response time still shows ghosting. When are they going to eliminate that problem? Also the fixed pixel output (native - otherwise it interpolates) is quite a killer for me as well.

I only have my laptop as an LCD, but I want to replace all my CRTs because they're killing my eyes. Before I switched to using my laptop primarily, my eyes hurt all the time and at least one day a week I had to stay away from any video device altogether because it would drive me nuts.

I've found my laptop LCD (and laptop LCDs in general) to be quite superior to most desktop LCDs as well, in terms of IQ, resolution, and other things. That's one of the reasons I haven't gone on an upgrade binge yet.

Dilbert

I have a 19" LCD monitor at home (Samsung 191T), and I LOVE it! It's far sharper than the one at work, which is adequate but nothing special. Yes, DVI makes a huge difference.

Like maharg, I used to get headaches from CRT displays...worsened by the fact that my last CRT at work had a randomly blurry image which would appear in the corners and worsen as the day went on. Now that I have an LCD at work as well as at home...no more headache. (Well, at least not from monitors...) The reason I had originally bought an LCD at home many years ago WAS because of my desk setup. I wanted a bigger monitor (had a 17" CRT previously), but because of the depth and weight of a 19" CRT, I would have had to put it on the corner of my desk at a 45 degree angle from where I sit. Ergonomically, that would have been a nightmare...and I had zero interest in buying a larger/stronger desk to fit a monitor. I bought a 17" Samsung LCD (760v), and it served me extremely well. When I got a new computer recently, I wanted to get a new monitor for a couple of reasons: I wanted to give my old system to my girlfriend and she would need a monitor, I wanted a slightly larger display, and the new one matches the new black/silver color scheme of the new computer. So, yeah, aesthetics was part of the rationale.

I personally think that the anti-hype about LCD rise times is a complete load of crap. I've never seen ANY tearing when I've been playing videogames on my computer, and my monitor "only" has a 25 ms rise time. The ultra-expensive "gaming LCDs" boast a 12 ms time...but I can't imagine that the extra few milliseconds matter in the least. Cheaper LCDs can have times in the 40 ms range, which probably WOULD be noticible, but any high-end monitor ought to be fine.

golem

Error Macro said:
I've tried several top of the line LCD monitors, and I just can't get passed their (relative, to CRT) slow response times. The image quality is almost on par with a good CRT, but even a 16ms response time still shows ghosting. When are they going to eliminate that problem? Also the fixed pixel output (native - otherwise it interpolates) is quite a killer for me as well.

people notice ghosting to varying degrees... for example my 16ms hitachi is perfect for me, but i barely saw it on my ~25ms kds anyways. 12ms displays are starting to hit the streets right around now. the slimmer size, less heat, and no flickering (reduced eyestrain) make it a better choice for me, but for some very dark games such as Thief i still wish i had a crt...

the resolution scaling is alot better now too (looks terrible on my kds when i run in lower resolutions than native, but looks pretty good, almost unnoticable on my hitachi), and i dont remember the last time i used it anyways

The main reason I switched to LCD was because my previous monitor was a 15" shitty IBM monitor that was so dark many webpages were completely unreadable.

Mine has a 16ms response time, and I have only noticed ghosting while watching cramped scrolling text (ie something like a stock market ticker) thru my tv card. While it may appear in games, I've never noticed it while playing anything from Call of Duty to UT2K4.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>The image quality is almost on par with a good CRT, <<<

I'd have to strongly disagree. I've yet to come across an LCD monitor that doesn't clip highlight and shadow detail. And most look like they're not even displaying 8-bit-per-channel color, even when the video card is feeding it to them.
I'm still waiting for one that's suitable for photo editing.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>>http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/accessories/sony-artisan.shtml<<<<

I want to have sex with this. /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

DaveH

Error Macro said:

EM. My old monitor died and on its way out it was affecting my TV. I moved my other monitor into the room and had a similar (but lesser) problem. Switched to LCD and the TV was fine. They're easier on my eyes and I haven't had a problem with games, etc. The only minor quibble I have is viewing angle which isn't too big a deal since the entire thing is easily moved (to face the couch and watch movies from there).

xsarien

daedsiluap
Error Macro said:

I've tried several top of the line LCD monitors, and I just can't get past their (relative, to CRT) slow response times. The image quality is almost on par with a good CRT, but even a 16ms response time still shows ghosting. When are they going to eliminate that problem? Also the fixed pixel output (native - otherwise it interpolates) is quite a killer for me as well.

Zero flicker, digital signal, less space, and my CRT was aging about as gracefully as a carton of milk. I don't play many PC games these days, so ghosting wasn't a major concern for me - and even if it were, the response time on my particular monitor keeps it to a minimum. I mostly use it for graphic design and light video editing, and while conventional wisdom says that's a no-no on an LCD, I'll argue to my death that said wisdom was written based on what someone saw on a cheap LCD with a VGA connection.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Diablos said:
what monitor do you use and how much was it?

Keep in mind that it's two years old, response times have gotten much better, screens probably a little brighter. If you'd compare it to a monitor now, you'd probably notice ghosting more than I do at this point. But the specs are there in black and white: Response time is less than 25ms, contrast ratio is...high. At the time I was basically looking for something "as good as..." the Mac flat panel I'd been using at work, which was quite the choice display. Yeah, I paid a lot for this thing, but it was worth it.

(I think the moral of this thread is: Lean towards Samsung. ;) )

http://reviews.cnet.com/Samsung_SyncMaster_171P__Silver_/4505-3174_7-9685551-2.html?tag=top

http://www.samsung.com/Products/Monitor/LCDMonitor/Monitor_LCDMonitor_171P_sp.htm

0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom