• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When will Sega learn..?

farnham

Banned
TOKYO, Feb 8 (Reuters) - Sega Sammy Holdings (6460.T: Quote, Profile, Research) warned on Friday that it expects to lose 26 billion yen ($242 million) this business year amid slow sales of pachinko machines and said it would cut 400 jobs at its game software unit.

Sega Sammy, the holding company for video game software maker Sega Corp and "pachinko" and "pachislot" gambling machine maker Sammy Corp, also slashed its dividend forecast for the year to March by a quarter to 45 yen.

The forecast for a group net loss of 26 billion yen in the year to March marks a sharp reversal from its prior estimate for a profit of 1 billion yen. It cut its sales forecast by 12 percent to 475 billion yen.

Pachinko is a vertical form of pinball while pachislot is a high-tech variation of a slot machine. The two, a form of legal gambling, are part of one of Japan's largest industries with annual revenues of some 30 trillion yen.

The pachinko market has been hit by tighter regulations on the industry, while the outlook for the game arcade market has been dented by the soaring popularity of Nintendo Co Ltd's (7974.OS: Quote, Profile, Research) Wii game console that users play at home.

Sega Sammy predicted its pachinko machine segment would see operating profit fall 85 percent to 11 billion yen, and forecast its arcade division to post a loss of 11.4 billion yen, against a 132 million yen profit in the prior business year.

The net loss forecast reflects the pushing back of planned sales of real estate to the next business year and retirement benefits to the 400 employees being cut at Sega, equivalent to about 5 percent of its group workforce.

Sega Sammy said it plans to close Sega Amusements Singapore Pte Ltd and restructure globally in order to deal with its poor performance of game machines for arcades overseas.

In November, it announced a plan to close or sell 80 of its 430 arcades by March.

Prior to the announcement, shares of Sega Sammy ended at 1,100 yen, down 5.9 percent, reaching its lowest closing price since the company was formed in October 2004 after the merger of Sega and Sammy. The shares underperformed against benchmark Topix 's 1.4 percent fall. (Reporting by Yoko Kubota; Editing by Anshuman Daga)

Okay i stumbled upon the news that Sega is firing 10% of their staff

http://www.segasammy.co.jp/japanese/pdf/release/20070208_tanshin_j_full.pdf

Their games arent selling with the exception of mario and sonic their amusement business is lacking and their pachinko is showing sluggish profits..

And what are those people doing... Making games for PS3 galore... More Yakuza 3, More Valkyrie on the Battlefield..

Great for PS3 users but that leaves the question..

How can Sega have a multi million selling hit with Mario and Sonic and with Oshare Love and Berry last year and still not focusing on Nintendo Platforms.. Ugh...

ethelred

Nothing's funnier than super-bitter Nintendo fans.

farnham said:
Their games arent selling with the exception of mario and sonic

And Ryu Ga Gotoku, which is why it's great for them that they've got the third game coming up.

farnham said:
How can Sega have a multi million selling hit with Mario and Sonic and with Oshare Love and Berry last year and still not focusing on Nintendo Platforms.. Ugh...

They have plenty of upcoming games on Nintendo systems... but they've also had plenty of bombs (Sonic and the Secret Rings, Monkey Ball 3, NiGHTS) on Nintendo systems.

farnham

Banned
ethelred said:
Nothing's funnier than super-bitter Nintendo fans.
Nah.. super bitter Sony fans are more funny these days..

ethelred said:
They have plenty of upcoming games on Nintendo systems... but they've also had plenty of bombs (Sonic and the Secret Rings, Monkey Ball 3, NiGHTS) on Nintendo systems.

Those two are hardly bombs.. both sold over 300 k in NA alone..

ethelred

farnham said:
Nah.. super bitter Sony fans are more funny these days..

It would make sense for that to be the case... and yet, the bitter Nintendo fans still manage to find a way, even in victory, to come out on top of the hilarity metre.

farnham

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
So your definition of "galore" is 2?
VF 5 ..? Virtua Tennis 3 ..?

High profile games that sold horribly and ate up much development money

ethelred said:
It would make sense for that to be the case... and yet, the bitter Nintendo fans still manage to find a way, even in victory, to come out on top of the hilarity metre.
then lets agree that fanboys in general are funny people

farnham

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I hope you enjoy Mario & Sonic at the Winter Games and Oshare Love and Berry Dress your Boyfriend.
I do have faith in Sega that hey can make good games on the Wii

yet they are making crap games and old DC ports and expect Wii owners to buy that.. the funny thing is they do and yet they dont get good games..

(with the exception of samba de amigo which is going to be awesome)

the.book-of-genesis-sega.jpg

Jammy

Banned
I wouldn't call Sonic and the Secret Rings nor Super Monkey Ball: BB bombs. Both sold what... at least 400,000 (more likely 500,000 for the former) in the U.S. alone? And Sonic and the Secret Rings is still hanging around in the UK charts.

Ghost Squad's performed well for them and Mario and Sonic at the Olympics (Wii alone) has already sold over two million worldwide.

I'd blame their flops of Sonic the Hedgehog, Virtua Fighter 5, Virtua Tennis 3, etc. more, as these "next-gen" games have only sold a fraction of what the company's Wii games have done.

EDIT: For the OP, Sega does seem to have more Wii games releasing, but many of them are budget-priced ports/remakes of Dreamcast games with extras thrown in. Still, $30 each for House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return, Sega Bass Fishing, and Samba de Amigo is hard to look away from.

immy

Banned
Jammy said:
I wouldn't call Sonic and the Secret Rings nor Super Monkey Ball: BB bombs. Both sold what... at least 400,000 (more likely 500,000 for the former) in the U.S. alone? And Sonic and the Secret Rings is still hanging around in the UK charts.

Ghost Squad's performed well for them and Mario and Sonic at the Olympics (Wii alone) has already sold over two million worldwide.

I'd blame their flops of Sonic the Hedgehog, Virtua Fighter 5, Virtua Tennis 3, etc. more, as these "next-gen" games have only sold a fraction of what the company's Wii games have done.

EDIT: For the OP, Sega does seem to have more Wii games releasing, but many of them are budget-priced ports/remakes of Dreamcast games with extras thrown in. Still, $30 each for House of the Dead 2 & 3 Return, Sega Bass Fishing, and Samba de Amigo is hard to look away from.

i like virtua tennis, thats a fun game..

immy

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Its quite clear I did not and I'm not planning to do so anytime soon.

i didn't mean to quote you thats why i edited.

i was talking to the op

edit:soz for double post

why dosn't this forum merge posts?

bluheim

Banned
farnham said:

Because they know that 2008 will be the year of the PS3 ? Maybe ?

bluheim said:
Because they know that 2008 will be the year of the PS3 ? Maybe ?

Us GameCube fans back in the day never sounded like this? Right? :/

Anyway, I'm playing SEGA published games more-so now than in the past decade at the moment. Games like Total War and Football Manager do that to a person. :)

Top Bottom