• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whew... PS2 RPG Season just got smaller!

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
What was to be the biggest RPG season ever, with the following games:

Phantom Brave
Star Ocean
Shadow Hearts 2
Digital Devil Saga
Wild Arms
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Growlanser: Generations
Suikoden 4

I was talking with a friend on how there were just to many games and not enough money and that some games might get lost.. well

Over the past couple weeks, the list has lost
Wild Arms, Digital Devil Saga, and Suikoden 4
Making the list

Phantom Brave
Star Ocean
Shadow Hearts 2
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
Growlanser: Generations

Far more manageable to the average RPGer, and hopefully allowing the ones remaining to get a few more sales :)

Next spring the market might be more open to buying new rpgs after having finished the long list.

btw, anybody know how long Shin Megami Nocturne is? The guide is 400 pages!

Wild Arms got pushed back? :( I hadn't heard!

Oh well, you're probably right - more time to play the still-slew-of-games coming out this fall.

jiggle

You forgot about Mega Man X Command Mission.
Aren't Inu Yasha and Fullmetal ALchemist scheduled for later this year also.

Next year's gonna be just as bad, in a good way:)

Scott

You forgot a few:

Megaman X: Command Mission
The Bard's Tale
The Lord of the Rings: The Third Age
The Nightmare of Druaga: Fushigino Dungeon
X-Men Legends
Suikoguy said:
Over the past couple weeks, the list has lost
Wild Arms, Digital Devil Saga, and Suikoden 4
I knew about Suikoden IV's delay, but when did the other two get pushed back? Neither Atlus or Agetec mention delays on their sites.
jiggle said:
Aren't Inu Yasha and Fullmetal ALchemist scheduled for later this year also.
Haven't heard anything about Inuyasha recently, but Full Metal Alchemist is definitely early next year.

AniHawk

I still plan on:

Phantom Brave (Nippon Ichi's made two very fun SRPGs, I'm sure this is no different)
Shadow Hearts 2
SMT: N
Paper Mario 2
Baten Kaitos
Knights of the Old Republic 2
X-Men Legends (...maybe)

This year's RPG season is still fucking crazy.

Brofist

OK by me..I play 1-2 good rpgs every couple months, that way I don't get sick of them. I don't want that shit to become a full time job...where I have to reach a quota of games played, there's no fun in that.

I call shenanigans - everything I can see still points clearly to November releases for Wild Arms and DDS.

Oh, and you forgot to put Baten Kaitos and FF1+2 on your list.

Crazymoogle said:
I call shenanigans - everything I can see still points clearly to November releases for Wild Arms and DDS.

Well, to be fair, I just checked Gamestop and they've now got Wild Arms listed for a January release date. But EB still has it for November, as does Agetec's website (which says "4th Quarter")

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Crazymoogle said:

Oh, and you forgot to put Baten Kaitos and FF1+2 on your list.

It wouldn't be surprising if Atlus pushed Digital Devil Saga back a little. Currently it would have come out 4 weeks after Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, that might be a little too close. It makes more sense to push it beyond the holiday season and let SMT:N stand by itself.

Meier

I'm gonna hold off on Phantom Brave until the price drops... and I'll likely do the same for SMT: Nocturne, but both are intriguing to me. I still am not sure about KotOR 2 making it out this year... seems too good to be true, but if it does then that and Paper Mario 2 are most certainly MINE.

nitewulf

still playing so3, almost done with disk 1. eh, i figure ill just buy nocturne for the art, cant really play that many rpgs anymore. how much time does it take to finish one of those nippon ichi srpgs anyway? about 25/30 would be good for me i guess, any more will bore me.

Meier said:
I'm gonna hold off on Phantom Brave until the price drops...

Based on the availability of Disgaea at this point and the fact that it and La Pucelle are still retailing for $50 when they can be found, holding off on buying this gem would be a bad idea.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'm up to the final dungeon in SO3, so I hope to have that game beaten by this Sunday, then I'm gonna be playing SH2... girlfriend just bought SH2, and I hate it when she finishes games before me, so I'm gonna be probably rushing through this one :p By that time, Baten Kaitos and Growlanser:Generations come out... I get a really nice christmas break at my job, so I'll probably be playing through one or the other during that time. Gonna get FF1+2 for GBA to play on plane rides and such. Not really too sure if I'm gonna pick up Nocturne any time soon though.

jiggle

Heliocentric said:
If enough of these games are pushed back then next year will actually be the big RPG year. tee-hee.

Even without these games, next year's RPG lineup is already quite robust.

Announced:
Final Fantasy XII
Dragon Warrior VIII (??)
Kindom Hearts II
Atelier Iris
Ys VI
Xenosaga II
Musashi Samurai Legend(is this out this year or next??)
Shining Tear

That's not even including titles that havent' been announced yet, some having better chance than other:
Radiata Stories
Shining Force
Arc the Lad
Romancing Saga
Wild Arm 4D
Front Mission
Tales of Rebirth
Tales of Symphonia PS2
Stella Deus
Pride of the Dragon Peace
Magna Carta
Digital Devil Saga 2
Dragon Quest V remake

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
W-w-w-w-whaa? EB has DDS listed as February, but those fuckers told me straight to my face last year in October one game wasn't coming out until December, when we had seen it at Gamestop a few minutes prior. EB is the only place I'm seeing listing it as Feb. Hell Atlus still says November. Shit, first Suikoden 4, now DDS? Take away all the games I intended to buy in November why don't ya!

Edit: SMT is Oct 12 now? Goddamnit Atlus!

Meier

keeblerdrow said:
Based on the availability of Disgaea at this point and the fact that it and La Pucelle are still retailing for $50 when they can be found, holding off on buying this gem would be a bad idea.

I snagged La Pucelle for 20 and got a copy of Disgaea for 5 (after paying 50). I'm not too concerned.

Prospero

Meier: if you see the limited edition of Phantom Brave, you might consider getting that, as it's the same price as the regular edition and comes with a soundtrack CD. That may be completely gone from shelves now, though, in which case there's no harm in waiting around--the regular edition will be around for a while.

As for me, I don't think I'm buying any RPGs this month or possibly next, since I'm already playing Phantom Brave and I have Shadow Hearts 1 and 2 on deck. Nothing on these lists looks as if it'll become hard to find in the next few months.

I'm choosing to believe Atlus over EB at this point. Remember, shenanigans have been called. Carnies are on the loose.

Meier: Your Keroro Gunsou/Sergeant Frog ED avatar rocks. I love that show.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Crazymoogle said:
I'm choosing to believe Atlus over EB at this point. Remember, shenanigans have been called. Carnies are on the loose.

Meier: Your Keroro Gunsou/Sergeant Frog ED avatar rocks. I love that show.

Atlus is saying 12th for SMT though, while everyone is saying the 5th though, that's the confusion.

I think Growlanser Generations is the only one getting my time this winter. I'll be to preoccupied with Halo 2, and maybe one or two other games.

Spike

Disgaea is readily available in many of the stores I visit. Hell, I've even seen it in Walmart. La Pucelle, also. The only one I haven't seen very much of is Phantom Brave, but I'm sure it'll be made available.

Top Bottom