• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which GBA Games Improve With the Game Boy Player?

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I'm getting a Game Boy Player today and will also pick up some GBA games for my new toy. Does anyone have recommendations on games that benefit particularly well from the transition to a TV screen? I was thinking about FFT, I bypassed it earlier because I was playing the hell out of Fire Emblem.

Memles

Mashing said:
I recommend Mario and Luigi... it just looks really good on a gameboy player.

I agree with this...but not on Mario Golf above it. Tries playing Advance Tour on it, and I just couldn't get used to it.

However, both Advance Wars titles work well with it, I think.

Mario and Luigi and Super Mario Bros 3 are both compatible with rumble in the GB Player. You do have to turn it on in the options. Fire Emblem does look great, as does Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. The Castlevanias also look good.

The only games I have tried that look bad or glitch too much are the Golden Sun games, and one of the filters helps to eliminated the flicker that pops up in those.

Zelda: Link to the Past looks surprisingly good for a SNES game that was cut down for the system.

Mashing

I played both Golden Sun games and I don't remember seeing any graphical glitches... or if there were I just didn't notice.

It wasn't reall y a big deal in the games, but with smooth filtering, the characters would flicker occasionally on the GB Player. You can make it much harder to see with the other filter. I still finished Lost Age on the GB Player despite that. The summons look pretty awesome on the GB Player.

Vargas

Mashing said:
I played both Golden Sun games and I don't remember seeing any graphical glitches... or if there were I just didn't notice.

The games looked nasty, especially when you summoned a monster.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Thanks for the input, I got Mario & Luigi and FFT. I'll also boot up LTTP again and check it out, and I think I'll play through the original Advance Wars again since I haven't touched it since the summer the GBA came out.

Viva Game Boy Player adding new life to my GBA collection!

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
really all gba games look worse on the gb player -- they're really low resolution, and weren't meant to be blown up in that manner. but some gba games suffer less than others, of course...games with big sprites tend to do best. metroid fusion looked pretty decent. since i bought my sp, i've hardly touched the gb player...i generally only play it when the sp's cramping my hands.

Top Bottom