• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which single game do you think is most associated with each platform?

Pandy

UPDATE: Thought I'd update the list to better reflect answers in the thread before GAF collapses under Switch hype/despair tomorrow. Thanks to all who contributed.

It's getting to the holidays and actual gaming news is thin on the ground, so I thought this might be a fun distraction. Which single game do you associate most strongly with each system?

To clarify the 'rules', if only in an attempt to prevent meaningless discussion about what does or doesn't qualify:
  • It doesn't matter if the game was exclusive or not.
  • It doesn't matter if the definitive version is on another platform.
  • It doesn't matter if it showed off the platform to its maximum potential or not.
  • It doesn't matter if it isn't the best game on the system.
  • It doesn't matter if it isn't the best selling game on the system.
  • It doesn't matter if you never played the game.
  • It doesn't matter if you never owned the system.
  • Etc.
It's just what game you think of most when you see the system. (Or, what you think other people think, as you may be aware that your own personal choice is too niche.) If the game is a multi-platform game, then you might think of a particular platform when seeing the game (for example, Tomb Raider and PS1) but that isn't quite what we're talking about.

Also, if you're planning to write, “It was either Game X or Game Y,” then you've already disproved your own point. (I have cheated slightly with Pokemon, but whatever.)

I'm not going to explain all my picks just now to avoid overloading the OP, but for example:
I picked Pacman for the 2600 as people very often talk about the terrible Pacman port, and when you see a screenshot of the 2600 version you KNOW it's the 2600 version.
My favourite game for the Wii, and indeed my current GOAT, is Super Mario Galaxy. I picked Wii Sports because it's obviously Wii Sports that most people would think of first if you asked them to name a Wii game.
I've never owned a Jaguar, Saturn, or Neo Geo, but to me they instantly call to mind the games listed from reading magazines back in the day.

I've made some obvious groupings, but in no particular order:

• Vectrex - Scramble
  • ZX Spectrum - Skool Daze
  • Atari 2600 – Pac-Man
  • Atari 5200 - Missile Command
  • Atari 7800 - Donkey Kong
  • Jaguar – Tempest 2000
  • Jaguar CD - Iron Soldier 2
  • Atari Lynx - Klax
  • TurboGrafx-16 - Bonk's Adventure
  • Neo Geo – The King of Fighters
  • 3DO - Myst
  • Phillips CD-i - Zelda: The Wand of Gamelon
  • Commodore 64 - The Last Ninja
  • Amiga 500 – Sensible Soccer
  • CD32 – Liberation
  • Master System - Alex Kidd in Miracle World
  • Mega Drive – Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Mega CD - Night Trap
  • Sega 32x - Knuckles' Chaotix
  • Saturn - Nights in Dreams...
  • Dreamcast – Shenmue
  • Game Gear - Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble
  • NES – Super Mario Bros.
  • SNES – Super Mario World
  • N64 – Super Mario 64
  • Gamecube – Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Wii – Wii Sports
  • WiiU – Splatoon
  • Game Boy – Tetris
  • Game Boy Colour – Pokemon Red/Green/Blue
  • Game Boy Advance – Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire
  • DS - Nintendogs
  • 3DS - Animal Crossing: New Leaf
  • Virtual Boy - Mario Clash
  • Xbox – Halo: Combat Evolved
  • Xbox 360 – Gears of War
  • Xbox One - Halo 5: Guardians
  • PS1 – Final Fantasy VII
  • PS2 – Grand Theft Auto III
  • PS3 – The Last of Us
  • PS4 - Bloodborne
  • PSVR - Until Dawn: Rush of Blood
  • PSP – Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
  • PS Vita – Persona 4 Golden
  • PC - Half Life 2
  • Mobile - Candy Crush

If there's a strong consensus around certain platforms/titles I might update the OP (again).

Good list, but I'd make these alterations:

PS1 – Rayman/Crash Bandicoot
PS2 – Metal Gear Solid 2
PS3 – Uncharted/Littlebigplanet/Metal Gear Solid 4
PSP – Locoroco/Patapon
PS Vita – Persona 4 Golden

Gnomepowered

Neo Member
I don't know if I'd say Street Fighter means SNES to me, personally- if anything, as far as home ports go, I kind of mentally associate SF2 in general with Genesis,but maybe that's just vague memories of the 6 button controller speaking; plus, I didn't get an SNES SF2 port until Super SF2 (which,to be fair, does have Super in the title, and thus says SNES to me more than Turbo, even though I know the names aren't related). To me, SNES is typified by Yoshi's Island, DKC, or one of the Square RPGs (Chrono Trigger, probably). Maybe Earthbound, but that wasn't true at the time for me, at least- that one kind of crept up on me over the years. The others are what I think of when I think of SNES today, looking back

Also, Rocket Knight Adventures is what I think of when I think of Genesis, but I think I just like possums. Gunstar Heroes is also up there- but I never loved sonic, so.. Sonic 3 and Knuckles would be my Sonic game pick for the Genesis though; it even manages to fit in an interlocking hardware gimmick, which Sega really loved in the Genesis days

EDIT: Actually, my Square RPG pick for SNES would be Super Mario RPG, which is the best of the Nintendo and Square worlds, and also typifies a) how big Nintendo was at the time (they got Square to make a Mario RPG, for crying out loud), and b) how experimental Nintendo is willing to be with their big properties (Super Mario World 2 being a Yoshi game, for instance), which are both things I think about when I think of the SNES.

EDIT again: I would also go with Final Fantasy 7 or MGS for PS1, a couple of massively popular and influential games that used the CD format to do things cartridge systems could have never done. The PS1 was the start of "cinematic" gaming, at least on consoles, which is what I think of when I think of the PS1.

Pandy

Good list, but I'd make these alterations:

PS1 – Rayman/Crash Bandicoot
PS2 – Metal Gear Solid 2
PS3 – Uncharted/Littlebigplanet/Metal Gear Solid 4
PSP – Locoroco/Patapon
PS Vita – Persona 4 Golden

Crash and Rayman are definitely good shouts for PS1, as are Uncharted and LBP for PS3. But therein lies the rub, if you have to choose only one which one do you choose.

I debated some of the others too, particularly Persona 4 Golden, but I felt that maybe it was too niche. I only know about P4G through GAF, whereas I've seen Golden Abyss on TV ads, etc.

I don't know if I'd say Street Fighter means SNES to me, personally- if anything, as far as home ports go, I kind of mentally associate SF2 in general with Genesis,but maybe that's just vague memories of the 6 button controller speaking; plus, I didn't get an SNES SF2 port until Super SF2 (which,to be fair, does have Super in the title, and thus says SNES to me more than Turbo, even though I know the names aren't related). To me, SNES is typified by Yoshi's Island, DKC, or one of the Square RPGs (Chrono Trigger, probably). Maybe Earthbound, but that wasn't true at the time for me, at least- that one kind of crept up on me over the years. The others are what I think of when I think of SNES today, looking back

Also, Rocket Knight Adventures is what I think of when I think of Genesis, but I think I just like possums. Gunstar Heroes is also up there- but I never loved sonic, so.. Sonic 3 and Knuckles would be my Sonic game pick for the Genesis though; it even manages to fit in an interlocking hardware gimmick, which Sega really loved in the Genesis days
As someone who played SF2 on Amiga and Megadrive, I was always envious of SNES owners playing Turbo, but that might just be me. It's quite hard to pick one SNES game out of Nintendo's line-up, so my mind drifts to SF2T.

Personally Gunstar Heroes is my favourite Megadrive game, but because I played the VC version to death on Wii it's become platform agnostic to me now. Good picks though.

lyrick

• Atari 2600 – Pitfall
  • Neo Geo – Samurai Shodown II
  • Genesis – Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Saturn - Nights
  • Dreamcast – Soulcalibur
  • NES – Super Mario Bros.\Duck Hunt
  • N64 – Super Mario 64
  • Gamecube – Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • Wii – Wii Sports
  • WiiU – Splatoon
  • Game Boy – Tetris
  • Game Boy Color – Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow
  • Game Boy Advance – Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire
  • DS - Nintendogs
  • Xbox – Halo
  • PS3 – Metal Gear Solid IV
  • PSP – Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
  • PS Vita – Persona 4 Golden

NES - Super Mario Bros. (early pack-in)
SNES - Super Mario World (most universally played game)
Nintendo 64 - Super Mario 64 (benchmark for the system)
GameCube - Super Smash Bros. Melee (still played today)
Wii - Wii Sports (early pack-in, most universally played game, and benchmark for the system)
Wii U - Nintendo Land (very much representative of the system as a whole)

Game Boy - Pokemon Red & Blue (I almost put Tetris, but this is the most enduring thing to come out of the Game Boy)
Game Boy Color - Pokemon Gold & Silver (GBC didn't have many notable games)
Game Boy Advance - Pokemon Ruby & Sapphire (GBA didn't have many notable games)
DS - Mario Kart DS (was torn between this and a touch generation game, but Mario Kart DS introduced online play)
3DS - Super Mario 3D Land (picked because of how it used the 3D feature)

Mega Drive/Genesis - Sonic the Hedgehog (Green Hill specifically comes to mind)
Sega CD - Sonic CD (I have no idea what people are nostalgic for on Sega CD)
Sega Saturn - Virtua Fighter (I have no idea what people are nostalgic for on Saturn)
Dreamcast - Sonic Adventure

Sega Game Gear - Sonic Triple Trouble (I have no idea what people are nostalgic for on Game Gear)

PlayStation - Final Fantasy VII (there's a reason this remake announcement was bigger than Crash)
PlayStation 2 - Grand Theft Auto III/San Andreas/Vice City (the GTA explosion)
PlayStation 3 - Final Fantasy Versus XIII (the game that didn't come out for ten years)
PlayStation 4 - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (the benchmark game)

PlayStation Portable - Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (PSP was largely a MH system)
PS Vita - Gravity Rush (example of the kinds of niche titles that define Vita)

Xbox - Halo: Combat Evolved (obvious)
Xbox 360 - Gears of War (big new IP in the Xbox 360 era)
Xbox One - Halo 5 (representative of Xbox's regression from the TV focus)

PC - League of Legends
Mobile - Candy Crush

Pandy

• Genesis – Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Dreamcast – Soulcalibur
    [
  • WiiU – Splatoon
  • DS - Nintendogs
  • PS3 – Metal Gear Solid IV
Some good choices too. Considered most of these at one stage.

SNES - Super Mario World (most universally played game)
Game Boy - Pokemon Red & Blue (I almost put Tetris, but this is the most enduring thing to come out of the Game Boy)
Game Boy Color - Pokemon Gold & Silver (GBC didn't have many notable games)
DS - Mario Kart DS (was torn between this and a touch generation game, but Mario Kart DS introduced online play)
3DS - Super Mario 3D Land (picked because of how it used the 3D feature)
PlayStation - Final Fantasy VII (there's a reason this remake announcement was bigger than Crash)
PlayStation 2 - Grand Theft Auto III/San Andreas/Vice City (the GTA explosion)
PlayStation 3 - Final Fantasy Versus XIII (the game that didn't come out for ten years)
PlayStation 4 - Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (the benchmark game)
PlayStation Portable - Monster Hunter Portable 3rd (PSP was largely a MH system)
PS Vita - Gravity Rush (example of the kinds of niche titles that define Vita)
Xbox 360 - Gears of War (big new IP in the Xbox 360 era)
Xbox One - Halo 5 (representative of Xbox's regression from the TV focus)
PC - League of Legends
Mobile - Candy Crush
More good picks. I went with Pokemon on GBC because that's how remember playing the game, so I don't really associate the games with the OG Game Boy.

I think PC is an interesting one. I didn't put a pick down because I was torn between the idea of World of Warcraft, which I think would be the 'normal' gaming pick, and something like Mine Sweeper, which would probably be the first thing my non-gaming elders would think of. LoL didn't even occur to me, even though it's obviously massive.

Similarly, I think the wider public perception of the 360 nowadays is as a Minecraft box for kids, while for gamers it's definitely Gears.

Lot of good choices in the thread. Only going to pull out a few I think otherwise on:

Sega CD: Nighttrap. While SOnic CD is the most talked about Sega CD game today, the defining element of that console was the FMV-games and NIghttrap was the most memorable for me.

PS1: Originally I wanted to say Crash Bandicoot, but that's only because I came in thinking of brand mascots, not games, and if I had to pick a game it'd be Final Fantasy VII, MGS, or Resident Evil 1. They were such defining Playstation games at the time.

MilkyJoe

Spectrum - Jet Set Willy
Atari 2600 – Pacman
Atari Jaguar – Alien v Predator
Neo Geo – Magician Lord
Amiga 500 – F18 Interceptor
Mega Drive – Sonic the Hedgehog
NES – Super Mario Bros.
SNES – Super Mario World
N64 – Goldeneye
Wii – Wii Sports
Game Boy – Tetris
Xbox – Halo
Xbox 360 – Gear of War
PS1 – Tekken
PS2 – Grand Theft Auto 3
PS3 – God of War

Kneefoil

NES - Super Mario Bros.
SNES - Super Mario World (more because of other people's influence than my own experiences with the game though)
N64 - Mario Kart 64
Nintendo GameCube - Super Smash Bros. Melee
Wii - No More Heroes
Wii U - Splatoon
GameBoy - Pokémon Red Version & Pokémon Blue Version
GameBoy Color - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
Game Boy Advance - Super Mario Advance: Super Mario Bros. 2
Nintendo DS - Pokémon HeartGold Version & Pokémon SoulSilver Version
Nintendo 3DS - Pokémon Y

Master System - Sonic the Hedgehog
Sega Mega Drive - Sonic the Hedgehog
Sega Saturn - Panzer Dragoon Saga
GameGear - Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble

TurboGrafx-16 - Bonk's Adventure

PlayStation - Metal Gear Solid
PlayStation 2 - Jak & Daxter
PlayStation 3 - Uncharted
PlayStation Portable - LocoRoco
PlayStation Vita - Persona 4 Golden

Xbox - The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay
Xbox 360 - Alan Wake

That's a pretty solid list.

My own contributions:

X360: Halo 3 (without a doubt, probably will never have a hype cycle like this anytime soon again)

PS4: Uncharted 4 (just an all around showcase, from reception, to GOTY awards to sales)

Wii U: Mario Kart 8 (Smash is good but I feel MK8 stands above the other entries in the franchise where as Smash still is weaker then Melee)

rhandino

Banned
PS2: Final Fantasy X
PS3: Uncharted 2

Wii: Wii Sports
Wii U: Smash Bros U

DS: New Super Mario Bros
3DS: Fire Emblem: Awakening

Xbox360: Halo

Peltz

I'm just going to do the Nintendo systems for now.

NES/Famicom – Super Mario Bros.
SNES/SFC – Super Mario World
Virtual Boy - Virtual Boy Wario Land
N64 – Super Mario 64
Gamecube – Super Smash Bros. Melee
Wii – Wii Sports
WiiU – Super Mario 3D World
Gameboy - Tetris
Gameboy Color - Legend of Zelda: Links Awakening DX
Gameboy Advance - Advance Wars
Nintendo DS - Nintendogs
Nintendo 3DS - Super Mario 3D Land

For me personally I would go with:

Spectrum 48k - target renegade
Spectrum 128k - Skool Daze
Atari St - Speedball 2/Space Quest 3 (ok I cheated)
Nes - Super Mario
Snes - Chrono Trigger
Megadrive - Mutant League Football
Amiga - Sensible Soccer
Windows 95 - Command and Conquer
Gamecube - Resident Evil Remake
PS1 - Final Fantasy 7
Windows 98 - Thief the dark project
N64 - Goldeneye
Xbox - Knights Of The Old Republic
PS2 - Gta3
Windows XP - Grim Fandango
Xbox 360 - Modern Warfare 2
PS3 - The Last Of Us
Xbox One - Sunset Overdrive
PS4 - Gta5
PSVR - Until Dawn Rush Of Blood

GB - Tetris
GBA - Golden Sun
Sega Game Gear - Olympic Gold
PSP - B-boy

That's a lot of good games. Trickiest one for me is the PS1 - how on earth do you choose between ff7/Resident Evil/Metal Gear Solid/Gran Turismo

The Atari 2600 is the only outlier I'm spotting. If all the other titles I'm seeing were both commercially and critically successful, why bother calling Pac Man 2600 as the definitive game for the Atari VCS when it was such a bad port? If I even remember correctly, it's commercial success worked to Atari's detriment since public option towards Atari 2600 developers waned in the late seventies, as the consumers began to get fed up with bad ports and low quality titles. Along with E.T.: The Extra Terrestrial, Pac Man 2600 was part of the reason Atari lost some of the public's trust right before the market crash in '83.

I think Pitfall deserves to be on that list for the 2600.

On that note, there was a notorious Pac Man clone on the Magnavox Odyssey 2 called K.C. Munchkin that was much better than Pac Man 2600, both graphically and gameplay wise, and released a year earlier as well. Not only did the ensuing court battle change the way copyright law approaches the "look and feel" of electronic entertainment, the eventual court ordered recall of Munchkin created an added commercial demand that led to the formation of one of the first "collectible" video games.

Munchkin_Coverart.png

Wollan

PS1 - Final Fantasy VII
N64 - Mario 64
Dreamcast - Shenmue
PS2 - Metal Gear Solid 2
GC - Super Smash Melee
Xbox - Halo
X360 - Halo 3
Wii - Wii Sports
PS3 - Metal Gear Solid 4
WiiU - Zombi U
XB1 - Titanfall
PS4 - Uncharted 4

Though I figure Grand Theft Auto would cover most of them.

NES-Super Mario Bros
SNES-Super Mario World
N64-Mario 64
PS1-Final Fantasy VII
PS2-GTA3
Gamecube-Smash
Xbox-Halo
360-Gears of war
PS3-The Last Of us
Wii- Wii Sports

Fuchsdh

Well, Halo as the Xbox's most associated game has to be the single most inarguable statement in the universe, right? I mean yeah I loved games like Crimson Skies and the like but Halo made the entire Xbox brand.

A lot tougher for me to decide other ones. For me the GBA game I'll forever associate with the platform is Golden Sun, although I don't know how universal that is.

Well, Halo as the Xbox's most associated game has to be the single most inarguable statement in the universe, right? I mean yeah I loved games like Crimson Skies and the like but Halo made the entire Xbox brand.

A lot tougher for me to decide other ones. For me the GBA game I'll forever associate with the platform is Golden Sun, although I don't know how universal that is.

I was just thinking the same thing. Which of these most associateds is the strongest. It has to be Xbox and Halo. Wasn't there even a Halo Xbox?

I share some with you OP, and some of my own in bold...

Atari 2600 – Pacman
Atari Jaguar – Tempest 2000
Neo Geo – Metal Slug
Amiga 500 – Speedball 2
CD32 – Pirates!
Mega Drive – Streets of Rage
Saturn - Panzer Dragoon
Dreamcast – Shenmue
NES – Super Mario Bros.
SNES – Street Fighter II
N64 – Golden Eye
Gamecube – Super Monkey Ball
Wii – Wii Sports
Game Boy – Tetris
DS - Prof Layton
Xbox – Halo
Xbox 360 – Minecraft
PS1 – MGS
PS2 – Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
PS3 – Red Dead Redemption

• 2600 – Combat
  • NES – Super Mario Bros
  • Sega Master System – Wonder Boy in Monster Land
  • Super Nintendo – Super Mario World
  • Sega Genesis – Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Game Boy – Pokemon
  • Game Gear – Sonic the Hedgehog
  • Atari Jaguar – Tempest 2000
  • Atari Jaguar CD – Iron Soldier 2
  • Sega 32X – Knuckles Chaotix
  • Playstation – Final Fantasy VII
  • Nintendo 64 – Super Mario 64
  • Sega Saturn – Virtua Fighter 2
  • Sega CD – Night Trap
  • Sega Dreamcast – Soul Calibur
  • Playstation 2 – Grand Theft Auto III
  • Game Boy Advance – Pokemon GBA
  • Gamecube – Super Smash Bros Melee
  • Xbox – Halo: Combat Evolved
  • 3DO Multiplayer – Shockwave
  • Nintendo DS – New Super Mario Bros
  • Playstation Portable – Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
  • Xbox 360 – Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
  • Wii – Wii Sports
  • Playstation 3 – Uncharted
  • Nintendo 3DS – Mario Kart 7
  • Wii U – Super Smash Bros for Wii U
  • Virtual Boy – Mario Clash
  • Playstation Vita – Gravity Rush
  • Playstation 4 – Bloodborne?
  • Xbox One – Halo 5

This was harder than I thought, outside of a few no-brainers like the NES and Genesis.

I agree with a lot of the initial list but I made a few changes.

Atari 2600 – Adventure
Neo Geo – The King of Fighters
Mega Drive – Sonic the Hedgehog
Saturn - Nights
Dreamcast – Sonic Adventure
NES – Super Mario Bros.
SNES – Super Mario World
N64 – Super Mario 64
Wii – Wii Sports
WiiU – Splatoon
Game Boy – Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow
Game Boy Colour – Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal
Game Boy Advance – Super Mario Advanced: Super Mario Bros. 2
DS - Super Mario 64 3D
3DS - Fire Emblem Awakening
Xbox – Halo
Xbox 360 – Call of Duty Modern Warfare
PS1 – Ridge Racer
PS3 – Uncharted
PS4 - Bloodborne

The DS and 3DS were actually the hardest to pick a singular game for. Brain Training from the initial list makes sense in retrospect but I nearly forgot it existed until seeing it there, and I didn't feel like Nintendogs or Professor Layton were big enough, so I went for the Mario launch title. For the 3DS I supposed I could have picked Majora/Ocarina 3D or Animal Crossing but since its the biggest surprise hit of the system I went with Fire Emblem.

I share some with you OP, and some of my own in bold...

Atari 2600 – Pacman
Atari Jaguar – Tempest 2000
Neo Geo – Metal Slug
Amiga 500 – Speedball 2
CD32 – Pirates!
Mega Drive – Streets of Rage
Saturn - Panzer Dragoon
Dreamcast – Shenmue
NES – Super Mario Bros.
SNES – Street Fighter II
N64 – Golden Eye
Gamecube – Super Monkey Ball
Wii – Wii Sports
Game Boy – Tetris
DS - Prof Layton
Xbox – Halo
Xbox 360 – Minecraft
PS1 – MGS
PS3 – Red Dead Redemption

Speedball 2 is one of the greatest games ever :)
I had my 12 year son hooked on it last year. Great times and to see his face when I curve threw the ball through the warphole, automatically hitting all 5 stars for a bonus was priceless. Yea son, ur old man was pretty good back in the day lol

I think certain franchises are iconic enough to represent an entire brand rather than just a single platform. Namely, Mario and Halo are synonymous with Nintendo and Xbox.

I debated some of the others too, particularly Persona 4 Golden, but I felt that maybe it was too niche. I only know about P4G through GAF, whereas I've seen Golden Abyss on TV ads, etc.

Uncharted:GA was the big launch title for the system, but it fell off everyone's radar almost immediately afterwards. It was the New Super Mario 2 of the Vita, hurt by the close proximity of a better game in the series on more powerful hardware. In contrast, Persona 4 Golden was one of the best selling games for the system and remained the highest Metacritic rated Vita game up until just recently.

Yeah, P4G is niche, but so is the Vita. It's a much more fitting representative of the system than an example of Sony's failed attempt to make the Vita a AAA blockbuster system.

I love Gravity Rush and it's a great example of the system's capabilities, but I think in order to be most associated with a system, you need to sell well - not necessarily the best-selling game on the system, but definitely up there. Gravity Rush definitely doesn't qualify by that metric (I'm honestly a little surprised they greenlit a sequel, but good for them for seeing the potential & supporting Keiichiro Toyama).

Justinh

NES - The Legend of Zelda

Genesis - Sonic the Hedgehog 3
SNES - The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
Atari Jaguar - Alien vs. Predator

Saturn - Panzer Dragoon
PS1 - Gran Turismo
N64 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Dreamcast - Shenmue

Gamecube - Star Wars: Rogue Leader
Xbox - Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

Wii - Metroid Prime Tilogy
Xbox 360 - Lost Odyssey
PS3 - The Last of Us

Game Boy - Super Mario Land
Game Boy Advance - Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow
DS - Animal Crossing: Wild World
3DS - Animal Crossing: A New Leaf

RBIYF

Neo Member
NES - Super Mario Bros.

Genesis / Mega Drive - Sonic the Hedgehog
SNES - Super Mario World

N64 - Super Mario 64
PS1 - Final Fantasy VII

Dreamcast - Shenmue

PS2 - Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Gamecube - Super Smash Bros. Melee
Xbox - Halo

Xbox 360 - Gears of War
Wii - Wii Sports
PS3 - The Last of Us

Wii U - Mario Kart 8

Gameboy - Tetris
Nintendo DS - Nintendogs
3DS - Pokemon

Atari 2600 - Pac-Man
5200 - Missile Command
7200 - Donkey Kong
Jaguar - Tempest 2000
Lynx - Klax

NES/Famicom - Super Mario Bros
SNES/SFamcom - Super Mario World
N64 - Super Mario World
Virtual Boy - Mario Tennis
GameCube - Super Smash Bros Melee
Wii - Wii Sports
Wii U - Super Mario Maker
Game Boy - Tetris
Game Boy Color - Pokemon G/Y/S
GBA - Pokemon R/S/E
DS - New Super Mario Bros
3DS - Animal Crossing New Leaf

PS1 - Final Fantasy 7
PS2 - Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
PS3 - Uncharted 2
PS4 - Bloodborne
PSP - Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker
Vita - Persona 4 Golden

Xbox - Halo 2
Xbox 360 - Gears of War
Xbox One - Halo 5

Master System - Alex Kidd
Genesis - Sonic 1
32X - Sonic 3 and Knuckles
CD - Night Trap
Saturn - Virtua Fighter 2
Dreamcast - Phantasy Star Online

CDI - Wand of Gamelon
PC Engine - Splatter house
3DO - Myst
NeoGeo - Garou

eaise

Neo Member
Genesis – Sonic the Hedgehog
Dreamcast – Sonic Adventure
NES – Super Mario Bros
SNES – Super Mario World
N64 – Super Smash Bros.
Wii – Wii Sports
WiiU – Super Mario Maker
Game Boy Color – Pokemon Yellow
Game Boy Advance – Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire
Xbox – Halo
Xbox 360 – Gears of War
PS1 – Crash Bandicoot
PS2 – Kingdom Hearts
PS3 – Uncharted
PSP – Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories

Nielm

Genesis: Sonic the Hedgehog 2
Dreamcast: Shenmue
NES: Super Mario Bros
SNES: Super Mario World
N64: Super Mario 64
Gamecube: Super Smash Bros. Melee
Wii: Wii Sports
WiiU: Splatoon
Game Boy Color: Pokemon Yellow
Game Boy Advance: Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire
Xbox: Halo 2
Xbox 360: Halo 3
PS1: Metal Gear Solid
PS2: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
PS3: The Last of Us
PS4: Bloodborne
PSP: Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories
PC: Half-Life 2

NES- Super Mario Bros
SMS- Alex Kid
Mega Drive/Genesis- Sonic the Hedgehog
32x- Knuckles Chaotix
Mega CD- Sonic CD
Neo Geo- Metal Slug
Saturn- Nights into Dreams
PS1- Final Fantasy VII
N64- Super Mario 64
Dreamcast- Shenmue
PS2- GTA III
Xbox- Halo
Gamecube- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
Xbox 360- Gears of War
PS3- Little Big Planet
Wii- Super Mario Galaxy
PS4- The Last Guardian
Wii U- Bayonetta 2
Xbox One- Halo 5

Naeval

NES: Super Mario Bros
Master System: Alex Kidd in Miracle World
Game Gear: GG Shinobi
Game Boy: Tetris
Mega Drive: Sonic
Super Nintendo: Street Fighter 2
Saturn: Guardian Heroes
Playstation: Penny Racers
Dreamcast: Shenmue
Nintendo 64: SM64
Xbox: Halo

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
For 360 I say its Halo also. Since the 360 wound up being more popular than the orig Xbox and Halo was probably its more popular game.

I cant see Minecraft being that game.

For PS1 I would say Metal gear Solid or FF 7. IMO I think those 2 are more recognizable than Ridge racer. Might even say Tomb Raider too.

PS2...either God of War, GTA Vice City or San Andreas.

PS3 I wouldnt say TLoU even tho its a very popular game. I would say any from the Uncharted series.

sphinx

the piano man
I feel like for Gamecube, the Smash game is the right one for the multiplayer crowd,

for the single player gamer though, it has to be Metroid Prime

horkrux

N64 - Super Mario 64
PS1 - Final Fantasy 7
Xbox - Halo CE
Dreamcast - Shenmue
PS2 - Metal Gear Solid 3
DS - Dr Kawashima's Brain Training
PS3 - Demon's Souls
360 - Gears of War
PS Vita - Persona 4 Golden
WiiU - Bayonetta 2
PS4 - Knack

Euron

360 I would say Modern Warfare 2 since that kickstarted CoD becoming a phenomena which consistently held the highest player base until GTAV but aside from that your list looks pretty on point. Though maybe PS1 is FF7.

RibMan

My list:

Master System – Alex Kidd
Genesis/Mega Drive – Sonic 1
Saturn – Nights into Dreams
Dreamcast – Shenmue 1

NES – Super Mario Bros.
SNES – Chrono Trigger
N64 – Super Mario 64
Gamecube – Resident Evil 4
Wii – Wii Sports
Wii U – Splatoon