• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White girl has to take braids out, only black girls can have them!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I totally agree with this ruling. Although I think the school shouldn't have tried to dress it up in political correct nonsense. They should have just be brutally honest.

Braiding on Caribbean people (or those of that descent) looks good.
On milky white, whiteys (like me) it makes girls look like skanky hoes and boys look like wiggas.

Takuan

I've never seen a white guy who doesn't look foolish in braids. On the other hand, some girls (any nationality) can look good in 'em.

I didn't know people used the term "braids" to refer to rows. When I think of braids, I think of braided ponytails, which I most definitely see in more white women than black women. Rows are another story.

darscot

It's hair you can do what ever the hell you want to it. What's next black or asian people are not allowed to wear collored contacts. Sorry that is only for white people.

G4life98

darscot said:
It's hair you can do what ever the hell you want to it. What's next black or asian people are not allowed to wear collored contacts. Sorry that is only for white people.

IAWTP

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Semjaza Azazel said:
I didn't know people used the term "braids" to refer to rows. When I think of braids, I think of braided ponytails, which I most definitely see in more white women than black women. Rows are another story.

white girls have been braiding their hair on the beaches of latin-american countries for years and years before the term 'rows' came into play . :)

White culture has its own rich history of braids and cornrows dating all the way back to Bo Derek in "10".
bo-derek.jpg

andthebeatgoeson

I hate schools and their zero tolerance bullshit. They come up with every concievable rule that has no direct effect on critical problems (wtf will braids do to the school? how would banning gang colors effect gangs? how would banning religious garb help the school?). They usually take the easy way out of situations and that constantly involves the lack of thought. I hate every situation in the news were you hear a girl got suspended for carrying tylenol or some kid got suspended for wearing religious garb.

And this shit has spread to the UK? God, I fear for any of my future kids. Today's schools and their punishment lack any type of critical thought.

Ripclawe said:
http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/allnew...bars-teen-over-racial-hair-row-name_page.html

2) cultural integration..cultural reasons? I must be getting old since braids were looked down upon by most parents growing up as uncultured.

I thought cultural reasons meant "hey, most of our students are white and we had to make an exception to our silly rules cuz 'they' moved here"

mrmyth

Matlock said:
I've seen this for going on three years. White girls look stupid with black-girl hairdos.

And some black girls look like damn fools with long platinum blonde hair. Doesn't mean either one should not be allowed to wear their hair that way, though.

STUPID.

While I'm at it, this reminds me a bit of how certain teachers I've had throughout the years would allow students to wear hats... but only the girls, since it could be "part of the outfit".

COCKLES

being watched
If there's anything I hate it's PC teachers.

Braids arn't my favourite hairstyle - but what the fuck does it have to do with black culture? Can you imagine if a teacher banned a black kid because they had hair straightened 'white style'?

Hope parents sue the shit out of the school.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
What about the ban on head scarves in Paris schools? I thought that was very fucked up.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
I had a black female proffesor that was "discreetly" given a memo about what were considered acceptable hairstyles for black proffesionals after she had her hair braided. F-ing ridiculous.

Particle Physicist

DaCocoBrova said:
What about the ban on head scarves in Paris schools? I thought that was very fucked up.

not just head scarves.. but kippot as well.. basically any religious apparel. pretty messed up since it screws with someone beliefs.

Particle Physicist

scola said:
I had a black female proffesor that was "discreetly" given a memo about what were considered acceptable hairstyles for black proffesionals after she had her hair braided. F-ing ridiculous.

i had a history teacher in high school that looked up peoples backgrounds and basically adjusted his attitude towards a kid based solely on his race.. my school was filled with rich white kids that loved to complain about anything and everything.. it really irked him.. it was fooking awesome. . he absolutely loved my group of friends cause we were so ethnically diverse.. oh, he was from some Caribbean island (i forget which) .. the man was awesome. we went to visit him the year after we graduated, and he left in the middle of a class to go eat lunch with us. .. he quit later that year. sadly, i have no idea where he is now. :/

belgurdo

Banned
Die Squirrel Die said:
I totally agree with this ruling. Although I think the school shouldn't have tried to dress it up in political correct nonsense. They should have just be brutally honest.

Braiding on Caribbean people (or those of that descent) looks good.
On milky white, whiteys (like me) it makes girls look like skanky hoes and boys look like wiggas.

That's really fucking stupid reasoning there. That's like barring a Japanese kid with red tinted hair from some place because he "isn't Irish" or refusing to serve a black girl with blue contacts at a restaurant because "only caucasians have blue eyes" or some shit. Just because the offending person is white doesn't make it okay to discriminate against them.

COCKLES

being watched
In honour of Englands victory over Crotia.

The great man...in braids!

_39243233_beckham_braids298.jpg

Braid it like Beckham.

:D

White Braids even defeated the Daleks in Doctor Who!

DestinyDaleks4.jpg

Ok so they had some black Movellens as well to add some soul to the Dalek killing party...

hooo

boooy
I loved the suit where a state wouldn't give a driver's license to a muslim woman because she refused to remove her veil for the photo. Fortunately she lost.

Phoenix

This is sooooooo funny and illegal. You can't enforce a hair style based on racial bias - at least not here in the US. No public school system would do this for fear of being sued.

MIMIC

Banned
Regarding the story, when the administrators told Jade that the two black girls were wearing the braids for "cultural reasons," what exactly does that mean? If it means that "they are black," then the school's ruling is totally unacceptable. But, if the "cultural reasons" ARE, in fact, part of a cultural tradition being practiced by the two black girls, then the ruling become more ambiguous; it becomes harder to render a verdict, IMO.

But one would think that Jade would have an inherent RIGHT to wear her hair in any style or fashion.

Here's what I figure (after having gone to a Catholic school): the kids had to sign some sort of agreement (school policy outlines, probably) which more than likely included a description of how you are not allowed to wear your hair, unless you can identify and establish just cause to be granted permission in spite of the rule. When I was in at an all-boys Catholic school, afros had to meet a certain requirement...it had to be below a certain specified height, unless you had reasons to not be restricted by the rule.

The girl DOES go to a Catholic school.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom