• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

White Knight Chronicles: Origins |OT| of what is this?

Takao

Banned
DrZpX.png

• Developer: Matrix Software and Japan Studio
  • Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment Japan, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe
  • Release date:
    February 3, 2011 (JPN)
    June 8-10, 2011 (PAL)
    LOL (NA)​
  • Multiplayer:
    Ad-Hoc: 2-4 Players
    Infrastructure: 2-4 Players​

kGNxJ.png

It's midnight in the nation of Athwan, and a guard peers over the ramparts of Castle Xarmgand. Yet where there should only be black emptiness stretching out before him, he sees a pair of glowing eyes, many metres above the ground. In White Knight Chronicles: Origins on PSP, these eyes are the chilling warning lights of the struggle ahead.

Smashing through Xarmgand's defences is the owner of those fearsome eyes, a colossal Yshrenian knight known as an Incorruptus. The stronghold it attacks is made to look like a sandcastle caught under the tide, its walls washing away in a furious assault – and it's just a hint of the scale of the task in front of you.

Welcome to the Dogma Wars, the never-ending conflict set some 10,000 years before White Knight Chronicles on PlayStation 3, which takes a dark turn with the introduction of the mechanical Incorrupti. On one side stands Athwan, small, courageous and defiant in the face of the larger, more aggressive and technologically advanced Yshrenia.

Your story begins in the furnace of the attack on Xarmgand when you make a last, desperate stand against the Yshrenian forces razing your home to the ground. Such a baptism of fire means things surely can't get any more testing. Or can they?​

NaQAO.png

Rolling through strange lands with the Mobile Corps, you'll meet new warriors eager to join your cause – including some familiar faces. Thanks to the local Ad Hoc Mode in White Knight Chronicles: Origins, you can recruit up to three friends to take part in daring co-op missions. Alternatively, Infrastructure Mode lets you join in quests with up to three other players wirelessly via PlayStation Network.

Whichever way you choose to play, White Knight Chronicles: Origins lets you take your trusted strategies, as well as your fully customised avatar, and put them to the ultimate test against formidable enemies. If you get your tactics wrong, your own friends will suffer.

Head down to the Comms Car of your mobile base, which gives you access to the two multiplayer modes – if you think you're ready to join forces with some of the most intrepid explorers on PlayStation Network. If you prove your worth, you'll get special items which you can use in your offline quest.

Meanwhile, the Outer Rift is where to go to upload your best characters for other players to use. You'll be handsomely rewarded with Grace Points for every avatar you introduce, and you can download friends' creations and add them to your ranks in the Mobile Corps.

For importers: You will need a Euro PSN account to play Infrastructure Mode.

KjyYt.png

yhDOT.jpg
PKH53.jpg
AW5l0.jpg
HfhS7.jpg

Xlsj9.png

Ignorant Gaming News: "It's a game."
Gamespout: "What a hairy situation."
Fanitsu: "60/51"

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
It boggles my mind that they decided to release this outside of Japan.

Will wait for impressions before considering importing.

Might as well copy over my impressions, even if I'm terrible at articulating them:

I'm surprised at how Monster Hunter it is. I mean, it's basically the same game. Missions are either "collect x amount of items" or "kill x amount of a certain enemy". Your base of operations is a train which you can buy new carriages for to add extra shops or more room for recruits. Each recruit has 3 missions to offer which you can unlock by either leveling them up or raising your affinity with them by giving them appropriate gifts. Completing the missions nets you a new skill.

Story is pretty much as sparse as a Monster Hunter game as well. You have story quests which are few and far between with a bunch of standard quests separating them.

Lots of options when it comes to upgrading weapons and armour. You can upgrade each item up to 10 times by simply combining it with any material. You have to be fairly strategic about it as certain stats will increase while other decrease.

The way your stats increase when you level is determined by what colour "Chroma" you have. Each stat is then given a ranking which determines how much it raises each level.

It's pretty fun with the same addictive quality as MH I guess. I will say that it seems fairly easy. I think I might have over leveled myself by doing so many side missions and now the story missions and bosses are a breeze. I'll concentrate on the story from now I guess and hope it gets more challenging.

Cannot find a single person online :(

I think that if you enjoy the basic structure of the MH games then you'll probably get something out of this.

matmanx1

So... it isn't rated very highly on Amazon.jp and is selling at a huge discount. Unfortunate. I think I'll wait for White Knight 2 as it's only about 6 weeks out.

Apparently you can get some bonuses by transferring data between this and WKC2. Anyone got any info on what you get? I doubt it's much more than some weak items.

Takao

Banned
Baloonatic said:
Apparently you can get some bonuses by transferring data between this and WKC2. Anyone got any info on what you get? I doubt it's much more than some weak items.

In the Japanese version I believe you could import your character from WKC2 into this game. But as they're being released at the same time in the EU, I'm unsure if this feature remains.

Takao said:
In the Japanese version I believe you could import your character from WKC2 into this game. But as they're being released at the same time in the EU, I'm unsure if this feature remains.

Just found some info hidden in the help section.

- Can import avatar from WKC2.
- Can export you Scout Car data from Origins to unlock "special content" in WKC2.
- Can import Georama data from WKC2 to unlock "special content" in Origins.

I'm getting WKC2 tomorrow so I'll check it out.

Khrno

Horrible, horrible, horrible game.

Going from room to room of (4-5) enemies with huge loading times in-between, and extremely boring fights at that. The only good thing this game has going for it is the story, but the gameplay and game structure is just on the way and I won't play anymore than the 10 hours I did. I can't believe that Lord of Arcana is even better than this game.

In the other hand WKC2 is just fantastic, I was so happy that I could carry over my save from the first game although the characters start at lv35, but didn't get to finish it, got carried away doing some multiplayer since the PSN had just came back up during those days. It should arrive in the mail today, weird that it didn't on saturday tho.

warpaint

How is it ?
Was going to it over the weekend but i thought i would wait till i see some review's and thoughts before getting it

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
WKCII is still listed as coming out August 2nd in the US per Gamestop, they even have pre-order bonus items associated with it, so take that for what its worth. Its being published by D3, who probably didn't have much of a presence at E3.

Takao

Banned
truly101 said:
WKCII is still listed as coming out August 2nd in the US per Gamestop, they even have pre-order bonus items associated with it, so take that for what its worth. Its being published by D3, who probably didn't have much of a presence at E3.

WKC II is being released in the US. D3/Bandai did promote it at E3. This game isn't WKCII, and was never announced by D3.

Man

It is so strange to me being in Europe and this (meaning both WKC2 and the PSP game) being released quickly/stealthily and quite some time before the US.
It's like... undiscovered treasure.

Was going to buy this in GAME today but then I remembered they don't sell new PSP games, let alone something like this :(

Looks like I'll have to order online.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Takao said:
WKC II is being released in the US. D3/Bandai did promote it at E3. This game isn't WKCII, and was never announced by D3.

My derp, I forgot there was a PSP version. Does the PSP out of region games or do you need a hombrew for that?

truly101 said:
My derp, I forgot there was a PSP version. Does the PSP out of region games or do you need a hombrew for that?

PSP games are region-free, though you apparently need to create a European PSN account to use the Infrastructure mode...

warpaint

JustAnotherOtaku said:
Was going to buy this in GAME today but then I remembered they don't sell new PSP games, let alone something like this :(

Looks like I'll have to order online.
it was in my GAME yesterday and in Gamestation where they was both saling it for £24.99

Lesiroth

So how is the game? Better than average? All I really want is MH with a bit more story?

How does this compare with Lord of Arcana? Gods Eater?

Takao said:
Yeah I was a little confused to see both new White Knight games on shelves on Thursday. It must be doing well somewhere for them to keep pushing the IP. Would be nice if we could get Ni no Kuni over here too soon. Are there any tangible benefits in transferring from WKC2? Tempted to pick up C2 since it has the original remastered.

Jigsaw

Banned
i played it for a few hours and i really like it,the graphics are pretty good for a psp game,though the areas are very small and the loading in between them is terrible if you don't use the install feature

the combat is way faster than in the console wkcs,there is no atb system,it's all realtime hacking and slaying,but it still feels like wkc and i like it

too bad there isn't much more than the train and the quests,no towns or exploration at all

if there are no absurd difficulty spikes like in lord of arcana (screw you bahamut!) i will complete it for sure

Top Bottom