• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who's getting the PSTwo?

Joe said:
first i heard nov. 1, then oct. 25, now oct. 12???

Sony said, it'd be in stores BY Nov. 1.

EB Games is saying that it'll be in stores on the 14th.

Someone on these boards said that the date is now the 12th.

It's NOT called the "PSTwo" dammit.

I was wondering the other day if Sony will ever release a proper PSTwo down the line, maybe around PS3's launch, they did trademark the name afterall, and I would like to see a total redesign of the PS2. But it seems less likely now.

SKluck

Banned
I probably will get it when it goes to $99. MAYBE before that depending on if there are any really insane games I want. Only thing I want for it now is MGS3. The GTA games I always get for PC.

I already have an xbox and gc and PC.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
After I move to Japan next year, I will probably buy one. I want to grab a JP PS2 (obviously), so I guess I'll make it the new model. :)

I wonder if I can get a cheap JP XBOX and mod the thing? Hmm...

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
jiji said:
I'll pick one up when and if there's a definite import solution for it.

Same here....I've go three PS2s currently (one of the most recent U.S. models, one of the most recent white Japanese models, and one of the first run Japanese models), and I'd love to be able to get rid of at least the U.S. and older Japanese PS2 (have to keep the newer one just in case) systems for a modded new-style PS2.

Although I've been wondering something. Isn't the new PS2 a top loading system? What's to stop you from just using the converter discs that come with the PS2 top loader shell for playing imports?

bjork

Lyte Edge said:
Although I've been wondering something. Isn't the new PS2 a top loading system? What's to stop you from just using the converter discs that come with the PS2 top loader shell for playing imports?

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering... if we could start selling just boot discs at work instead of the stupid shell, we'd sell a ton more imports at work imo.

Lyte Edge

kaching said:
No MemStick support, No HDD support, no redesigned PS2 for me.

Do you play FFXI on PS2? Do you want the Socom II update (if it ever comes out, that is)? If not, who cares about HDD support? This new PS2 seems to be making a statement that Sony is giving up on the HDD.

manngc

Now that the new model doesn't support the HDD...I'm probably going to trade in my new lauch system for one of the "+" systems to get a new system and a network adaptor (sure it will cost a little more than a network adaptor alone, but I could probably use the system refresh...).

Mann

kaching said:
No MemStick support, No HDD support, no redesigned PS2 for me.

No HDD doesn't matter to to me, but I like the fact that the ethernet is built-in. And the size of the unit rocks, makes it mucho easy to move it around my house, which I do often with all my systems (side note: my xbox is going to fuck up my back eventually). And top-loading is a godsend, I fucking hate Sony's disc-drive for the PS2, so cheap, aslways feels like it's going to break any moment.

Lyte Edge

manngc said:
Now that the new model doesn't support the HDD...I'm probably going to trade in my new lauch system for one of the "+" systems to get a new system and a network adaptor (sure it will cost a little more than a network adaptor alone, but I could probably use the system refresh...).

Mann

What online game would you be buying though? :)

If anything, I may just import a Japanese new-model PS2 and wait for a mod to play U.S. games myself....

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Lyte Edge said:
Do you play FFXI on PS2? Do you want the Socom II update (if it ever comes out, that is)? If not, who cares about HDD support? This new PS2 seems to be making a statement that Sony is giving up on the HDD.
Yes, I've played FFXI, although that's not why I want the HDD support since I gave up on that game for basically the same reason every other MMORPG I've tried has failed to hold my interest. I do play SOCOM 2 though and am looking forward to the new maps. But, more importantly, I have HDLoader. :D

I'm not making any general statement about Sony dropping the HDD in the new PS2. I realize that, from a market standpoint, it makes little or no difference at this point. Although, I would argue it could go on to play a significant role given the way Sony wants to give the PS2 a 10 yr lifecycle that we're not even half way through yet. Anyway, point is that the topic asked who's buying it or not and I said no and offered my personal reason why.

I appreciate that the new unit has value to some people...but my PS2 is very sedentary so it's relative "bulk" is of no concern to me, and I already own the Network adapter so there's just no incentive here for me.

Deku Tree

Maybe later but definately not right away. My PS2 works fine. And if the PS3 is bkwds compatible with both PS1 and PS2 then I'll probably never get a PSTwo.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I am. Too easy to slip in my briefcase and not have a sore shoulder afterwards.

Plus it's sexy and I have a thing for sexy.

Brian Fellows said:
If my PS2 ever breaks down maybe. But I've never had a problem with it or even my PSX before it.

Mine broke down a little while ago, so I have no choice :(. But it's no biggie cause the new model is HOT.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I'm getting it for sure. I'm just having a hard time selling my current PS2. Although I could afford not to sell it, I'd just feel stupid. PAL PS2 with Broadband Adapter and vertical stand, excellent condition, 100eur anyone?

Pedigree Chum said:
No HDD doesn't matter to to me, but I like the fact that the ethernet is built-in. And the size of the unit rocks, makes it mucho easy to move it around my house, which I do often with all my systems (side note: my xbox is going to fuck up my back eventually). And top-loading is a godsend, I fucking hate Sony's disc-drive for the PS2, so cheap, aslways feels like it's going to break any moment.

You should get to the gym if the Xbox is going to fuck up your back.

ManDudeChild said:
You should get to the gym if the Xbox is going to fuck up your back.

I was obviously kidding around, but the thing is a pain in the arse to carry around. And I'm always scared I'm going to drop it when carrying it with one hand and carrying the cables/controllers in the other.

Serafitia said:
Is there a screen for it? I'll mod my current one now and get this PStwo. Yeah, so what, it sounds better.

Not yet, here's hoping Sony makes one. It'd be sweet for Uni if they did...could play games/dvd's in my dorm room without any probs.

Sysgen

Yup, I'm getting one. I never thought I would say it but I am. The redesign with the builtin network adapter and the new size did it for me. What really pushed me though was the recent sale at playstation.com where I picked up Phantom Brave, DW:Empires and Gallop Racer 2004. I still consider it a step back but there's so much budget gaming that the PS2 can offer that this became a no brainer.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Already pre-ordered as I mentioned before. Very happy that it's supposedly coming out before GTA :) I'll have Nocturne and Katamari waiting for it.

TheGreenGiant said:
pretty much this. AND SAVE YOUR MONIES FOR NEXT GEN + NEW GAMES. right

Well, if PS3 comes out in two years (hopefully, 2005 is too early MS yah bastids)...it's worth getting the PSTwo for two more years of solid gaming before the PS3, where you can eventually play your PS2 games on that system as well.

Ryck

Ill get one cause Im a novelty whore like that......plus my girlfriend has been bugging me for kingdom hearts like crazy, and Mgs3 and Gt4 are calling to me....

Drek

anyone got a pic of what it'll look like? I'll probably replace my sketchy old PS2 for a new model when they hit $99 regardless though. :)

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
Drek said:
anyone got a pic of what it'll look like? I'll probably replace my sketchy old PS2 for a new model when they hit $99 regardless though. :)
images752023.jpg

images752029.jpg

images752032.jpg

images752033.jpg

images752028.jpg

images752030.jpg

Top Bottom