• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who's getting the PSTwo?

SKluck

Banned
I don't understand why they are showing a toploading unit... sideways. That is just the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Too bad it isn't a slot drive, god that would rule.

Drek

Slick little puppy. Doesn't appear to have the built in IR reciever of the currently newest version however, which is a bummer. Top loading is awesome though. Trays = suck.

Vert stand and multitap look like price gougers though. $13.50 U.S. equiv in Japan for the stand, $32 plus change for the multitap.

Lame Sony, very lame. ;P

8688.jpg

Man that's pure sex. This pic really shows off all the weight the PS2 has lost.

Drek said:
Slick little puppy. Doesn't appear to have the built in IR reciever of the currently newest version however, which is a bummer. Top loading is awesome though. Trays = suck.

Vert stand and multitap look like price gougers though. $13.50 U.S. equiv in Japan for the stand, $32 plus change for the multitap.

Lame Sony, very lame. ;P

It has a IR reciever :) it's all the way to the right side of the unit below the "power" button.

Timbuktu

Wow. very slick. I'm getting one. it'd be great if they can do the same to the xbox, size is one of the main reason I don't take it to my dorm. and although the GC is small enough, imagine it shrinking like this and have built-in Wavebird support.

Considering that my NTSC PS2 is on its last legs, yes. As much as I don't have money, yes. GODDAMN IT WHY DOES IT HAVE TO HAVE A FLIPTOP AND MAKE ME BUY IT NOW?

Fliptop >>>> CD tray any day of the week. You're GUARANTEED less trouble with the drive.

Slot loaders are shit. They'll scratch discs up if you look at em funny. (Yes I know quality is tonnes better these days, but there's no way in HELL I'll trust a Sony slot loading drive. That's asking for trouble.)

Drek

Pedigree Chum said:
It has a IR reciever :) it's all the way to the right side of the unit below the "power" button.
Really? Sony's PR release didn't list IR among the input devices. Cool as hell though.

One day I will buy 2 PS2s

One PStwo to replace my current model

One PS2 with Ilink to be brought out with my current PS2 for linked Time Crisis

Silkworm

I'm kind of tempted but I currently have slowed down a lot on the amount of gaming I do. I've got a Gamecube and a GBA_SP and I don't use them to their fullest extent. I have some games I've purchased for both systems that I haven't even opened yet. I'm afraid I'd just be compounding this problem if I got a PS2. Anyway, I like the new look of the PSTwo and there a definitely games out there for the PS2 that I'd like to play, so maybe I'll convince myself to take the plunge someday :D

Are they going to release a screen for this or not? I notice two possible "mounting holes" on the back which suggests the possibility for a screen to be attached, but are Sony going to make one theirself? I'll buy one if they do.

MoxManiac

Considering the sound on my PS2 conviently died out a week or two ago, I am. My new job starts in a week though, might have to put off the purchase a mont. I hope there won't be a shortage.

PanopticBlue said:
Are they going to release a screen for this or not? I notice two possible "mounting holes" on the back which suggests the possibility for a screen to be attached, but are Sony going to make one theirself? I'll buy one if they do.

The chances are very good that there will be a screen. And the chances are also good it'll be close to the price of the PS2 itself :(

that does look pretty friggin' slick. I'll probably get one next summer when the extended warrenty on my current ps2 runs out. Still don't know wtf im supposed to do with my HDD at that point though. Goddamn you sony.

CrimsonSkies said:
I'd get it if mine broke down. Until then though, I don't really see the point.

If my PS2 didn't crap out on me I wouldn't get one either. But regardless, it's for the best, will make it easier bring the thing back and forth from Uni (along with moving it around the dorm).

hirokazu

adelgary said:
It's NOT called the "PSTwo" dammit.

I was wondering the other day if Sony will ever release a proper PSTwo down the line, maybe around PS3's launch, they did trademark the name afterall, and I would like to see a total redesign of the PS2. But it seems less likely now.

true, but all signs point towards this SCPH-70000 unit originally being the "PStwo", as denoted by the "two" in the corner of the packaging box, where the "+" was for the SCPH-50000 line. they just decided against using the "PStwo" name in the end - who knows, perhaps when PS3 arrives, they'll rename the system, i doubt another redesign though.

anyhow, i'm planning to get one in December, i'll be on the look out for any Xmas deals that may come around.

I'm not a huge fan of the overall design of the PStwo, but I'm going to get one. Fliptops rule, trays drool. I like just slapping a disc in and turning it on rather than turning on the main power switch, holding the reset button to turn the system on, pressing the eject button, waiting for the tray to slide out, putting the game in, pressing the eject button again to close the tray and so on.

Yes, I know it's a matter of seconds, and it's incredibly minor and nitpicky, but now I can change it, so I am.

Kon Tiki

Banned
I will prob grab one when PS3 comes out. Collectors sake.

As for now, I have a NA and a HDD for my broken PS2, I'd rather get a current model PS2 to be able to use those.

M3wThr33

Banned
I'll get one, but it's my brithday on Oct 20th, so I don't know if a parent or girlfriend might get it for me. I did reserve the DS today.

I really want to preorder one of these babies right now, but I am afraid that they will come out with some bundles or perhaps alternate coloured units some time before Christmas (or is that not likely now?).

Jonnyram

I might get one if my PS2 dies, but I'd be really angry if they don't do something about the HDD issue by then. It's not just necessary for FFXI, it's great for games like FFX, Kingdom Hearts, Zettai Zetsumei Toshi and co. for speeding up loading times.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Me and my money agree that we shouldn't get a PSTwo. There would be no point in getting one, since I already got a perfectly working PS2. Maybe if the price dropped, I would consider getting one because I'm sometimes stupid.

Top Bottom