• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who's That Flying?! |OT?| of a whole thread for a Mini

Salsa

4860116660_3d48cc1f5b_z.jpg

Alright, not too much flashiness of a thread since we are talking about a Playstation mini here, but given how rare it is to find actually good ones, i think this deserves its own thread, FAQ style.

What the fuck is this game?

Who's That Flying?! is a shmup made by the creators of the wonderful and critically acclaimed Monsters (Probably) Stole my Princess.

How does it look like?

wtf_1-620x.jpg

wtf_2-620x.jpg

wtf_3-620x.jpg

What does it play like?

Trailer

The devs say:

With “Who’s That Flying?!”, we’ve combined side-scrolling shooting action with elements of tower defence and even some up-close and personal quick-time events for the super-dramatic moments!

What that means is that the character you control, the “Guardian of Earth” is pretty much invulnerable, blasting enemies apart and grappling giant bosses with ease – but the cities you are defending are hugely vulnerable. So your goal is not to survive, but rather to stop too many enemies getting past you and destroying your cities.

The story starts out with the Guardian of Earth on trial for allowing the invasion to take place; each level is played out as a flashback as you submit your version of events… in the most dramatic way possible!

What are some of its features?

• Story mode with full animated cutscenes detailing the trial of the Guardian of Earth!
  • Five unique stages and over 40 individual levels!
  • 4 Infinite mode challenges to unlock with local highscore boards!
  • Challenge mode with 24 unique trials to unlock!
  • 17 different enemy types!
  • Masses of bonus artwork and awards!
  • Huge finishing moves!
  • Combos, medals. Power-ups and more…!

Why should i care?

Because the game is awesome, and MediaTonic is a really great developer that actually makes minis worth playing, and of a reasonable price.

Alright im in, how much and when ?

Game is out today! November 16, 2010 and for 5.99!

So how is it doing reviews-wise?

Pretty darn good:

Eurogamer - 8.0/10

With 15 levels to romp through, gorgeous, irreverent cut-scenes and various challenges, WTF? proves that talented developers haven't completely deserted the Minis scene. Just most of them.

Destructoid - 9.0/10

Overall, Who's That Flying?! is a charming, fun and cheap 2D shoot 'em up with a lot of personality and plenty of bang for your buck. If you never bothered with the PSP Minis before, then Who's That Flying?! could just be the most compelling argument to date for giving it a closer look.

PSPminis.com - 9.0/10

Not only is WTF?! a lot of fun, it manages to bring something new to the side-scrolling shooter crowd, and with a lot of style.

more coming..

So yeah, go get it.

Salsa

DMPrince said:
this plays on ps3?

yup

DMPrince said:
and how long and hard is it?

Five stages and over 40 individual levels, but there's challenge modes, highscores etc, in the same vein of Monsters (probably) stole my princess

kassatsu said:
Not going to sell well at $6.

FACT.

How come ? considering mini prices..

Salsa

SapientWolf said:
Where does the tower defense come in?

from OP:

So your goal is not to survive, but rather to stop too many enemies getting past you and destroying your cities.

More of a way of saying. "direct" tower defense :lol

kassatsu

Banned
DMPrince said:
this plays on ps3?

and how long and hard is it?
You could probably blast through the story mode in an hour or two.

There is an infinite mode where you get 50 "lives" for the city.

Challenge mode is a grid like unlock-fest with lots of different modes.

Each of the story and challenge levels have gold/silver/bronze ranks

totowhoa

Banned
Game looks awesome to me! Too bad I don't my PSP anymore :/ Picking one up either this holiday or sometime next year though. I'll definitely check it out come then. By far the most appealing Mini yet... hopefully it does all right.

Sklorenz said:
Game looks awesome to me! Too bad I don't my PSP anymore :/ Picking one up either this holiday or sometime next year though. I'll definitely check it out come then. By far the most appealing Mini yet... hopefully it does all right.
do you have ps3? play on that.

totowhoa

Banned
DMPrince said:
do you have ps3? play on that.

Nope, or I would. PS3 was next on my to-buy list after I had to sell my PSP to pay for something. P2 got announced, so that's been flipped back again.

Massa

SalsaShark said:
... guess not :/

I am disappoint, thought GAF was a big fan of Monsters probably stole my princess.

I bought Monsters at half price and still it felt like that was too much. Not that it was bad, there was just so little to that game.

It seems like WTF is much improved over Monsters though, but I'm not getting it because it's $6 instead of $5, sadly. That's a terrible price point for people who depend on PSN cards like me.

Monsters was great. Got it on sale and loved it. Only problem is, I'm still unwilling to pay over $5 for a Mini. I just can't do it. Will buy when they put it on sale.

dwin45

DiscoJer said:
Nope, they are PSP games, just emulated on the PS3. PSP games don't have trophies.

Got a bunch of unlockables though.
Oh really? Does the game still look nice on a TV? I don't have a PSP.

Salsa

Massa said:
I bought Monsters at half price and still it felt like that was too much. Not that it was bad, there was just so little to that game.

I can agree to that, this one has much more content though.

And yeah the price tag is kinda weird, i mean dont get me wrong its cheap and worth it, but five bucks would have been more appealing to most people.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Looks interesting... looks like Air Zonk meets Newgrounds-style Flash art. Thanks for the heads-up.

boingball

bought it day 1, but have not played it yet:D . my psp is blocked with gran turismo, want to unlock some more cars before man furismo jive hits:lol

depward

Really liked Monsters(P)SMP but I don't know... I want to support these guys. But I do not like these kinds of games. And the price is a little more than my "impulse range."

Still mulling it over..

Salsa

depward said:
Really liked Monsters(P)SMP but I don't know... I want to support these guys. But I do not like these kinds of games. And the price is a little more than my "impulse range."

Still mulling it over..

Well all i can say is this: its good

The humor from Monsters is there, if that does anything for you

Agent X

I bought Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess when it was on sale, and I enjoyed it a lot. The art and the humor were great. The main game is rather short, but much like Age of Zombies, its long-term appeal is in beating your previous high scores. M(P)SMP also has some clever unlockables to give added incentive to keep replaying the game.

It's good to see that WTF? is getting some good reviews as well. I love shoot-em-up games, but I generally don't care for "tower defense" games, so I lost interest when some comparisons were made to the latter. However, if the only similarity to "tower defense" games is being penalized for allowing enemies to slip past you, then I can tolerate that.

On the topic of pricing, $5.99 isn't that much more than $4.99, so one extra buck shouldn't be that much of an obstacle to anyone who's really interested. On the other hand, almost every other Mini on the service is under $5 now--even the formerly $9.99 Tetris was permanently reduced to $4.99 recently. With that in mind, maybe they should've debuted at under $5 just so it wouldn't appear expensive in comparison to other Minis.

Salsa

Late to the bump, but still worth it.

Game's now available for PC through Steam, still with the uncomfortable price tag of 6 bucks.

Store Page

fuckin GET IT

Yanksfan

I picked this game up on a whim from Steam. I had never heard of their previous Mini game, nor did I know this was a Mini game as well and ported to Steam. Just watched the video and bit on it.

I don't know how I missed this dev before, hell, even Edge reviewed this game:

http://www.next-gen.biz/reviews/whos-flying-review

While the '7' is a pretty accurate score from Edge, I don't quite agree that the story mode is as bad as they make it out to be. I thought it was a great romp and a perfect intro into the infinite and challenge modes, which is the real meat of the game from the developer's point of view. The story mode makes you care about wanting to truly explore those modes and push the game to its max because now you care about it rather than if you had just been dumped into those modes right from the start.

Top Bottom