• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why didn't those big birds in LOTR just...

Status
Not open for further replies.
fly the gang to Mount Doom and air drop the friggin ring inside Mount Doom? I'm not trying to be a smartass about it, I'm just curious as to what those things were and why they only showed up after people got into trouble.

Chrono

Banned
Saturnman said:
That would have removed another opportunity for the two hobbits to pontlessly bond with another.

I believe this news.

Although the journey frodo makes opens the way for plot developments that might lead to him NOT succeeding. Much more interesting. ;)

Socreges

Banned
Yeah, Sauron would spot them and have those black flying things (name?) take them down.

That's what Tolkien might suggest, at any rate. Not that I buy it. Quite obviously the velocity of the big bird might be weighed down by two additional passengers; however, the purpoted agility would overcome this handicap and steer them to the mountain where the ring would be dropped with unparalleled accuracy.

Chrono

Banned
Socreges said:
Yeah, Sauron would spot them and have those black flying things (name?) take them down.

They could've used Frodo as a decoy and lured the nazgul (is that what they're callled?) away from mount doom.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
The eagles don't really give a fuck. Sauron's reign wouldn't really affect them.

That said they do show up occasionally because they and Gandalf are mad tight homies.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Yeah, if it came down to it and the shit hit the fan, the Eagles, Tom Bombadil and Goldberry would just slack around and smoke mad pipeweed.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
People have been asking this question for years, actually.

Some of the reasons have been touched upon already. The Eagles are actually sentient beings who speak in the book, so yes they could very possibly be corrupted and take the ring for themselves. Also, the Fellowship was intended to be a stealth mission. The moment an Eagle crossed Mordor, a bajillion orcs would try to shoot it down or head to Mount Doom to intercept it, and Nazgul (Ringwraiths) on Fell Beasts would also take it down.

And the final big reason the Eagles could not be used... they had no way to convince the Eagles to help. My memory is really fuzzy but I'm pretty sure the Eagles didn't want to concern themselves with war at all, and only helped Gandalf very rarely and sparingly because he is one of the Maia (kind of a Middle-Eart equivalent to an angel). I think I remember the book hinting at the fact that the Eagles are tied to the Valar (Gods) themselves, and are perhaps bound by rules that prevent them from interfering too much? I honestly can't remember the details but I do recall something along these lines being part of the reason.

Ah, okay. I know its a movie but if they're going to whip out a huge plot device they had better explain it. Oh well, another mystery is solved.

...unless?

calder

IIRC, the eagles wouldn't fly in Mordor while Sauron was there. They just wouldn't... whether they were afraid or repelled by Sauron or the Ring frightened them as it did Gandalf I don't remember (but I don't think it was every stated out loud), but in the books Tolkien has someone bring it up before the Fellowship leaves. Gandalf I think ixnays the whole idea. I think MrCheez is on the right track with the whole "they don't really give a eagles fart what happens anyway" thing too.

Saturnman

Banned
If the movies don't establish the place and nature of those big birds than there is no way to find the reason in the books. The movies are supposed to be self-sufficient and have already taken several liberties in terms of faithfullness to the books.

In the Peter Jackson version of LOTR, the birds are an arbitrary plot device. Plain and simple.

MrCheez

Yeah, it was barely touched upon in the movie. I think the way they present it (with the little moth coming to Gandalf and all) it gives you enough to piece some assumptions together, though.

MrCheez

Saturnman said:
If the movies don't establish the place and nature of those big birds than there is no way to find the reason in the books. The movies are supposed to be self-sufficient and have already taken several liberties in terms of faithfullness to the books.

In the Peter Jackson version of LOTR, the birds are an arbitrary plot device. Plain and simple.

Eh.

Gandalf sees Moth. Gandalf talks to Moth. Moth goes away. Moth comes back, Eagles arrive.

You can just assume that Gandalf has some bad-ass buddies (which he does, really). I think it's a case of PJ just assuming the audience is smart enough to piece it together.

Saturnman

Banned
You're talking to someone who hasn't read the books and has only seen the movies. Those birds totally come out out of nowhere from my perspective. It's not like Han Solo finally coming to help Luke Skywalker destroy the first Death Star.

Gwahir is explained at length in the books, but not in the movies. I nearly laughed out loud when Pippin stuck up his goggle-eyed head and exclaimed "The Eagles are coming!".

WHAT eagles? You're supposed to be under an orc, anyway (or was it Merry...?)

MrCheez

But they don't come out of nowhere, you know they are tied to Gandalf who's origin, history, and abilities are mostly shrouded in mystery on purpose. Things are not always spelled out for you, you are given hints and clues.

This is not to say it was handled perfectly. I think a little more info on them could have been given... but I think it was handled sufficiently.

Anyway, this isn't in the movie either but it's some cool info that I feel like sharing:

After Gandalf dies from his fight with the Balrog and comes back as The White, it is Gwaihir (the Eagle leader) who actually finds him and takes him naked to Lothlorien. (Where he gets his new duds and staff!) I'm pretty sure he kept contact with them a few other times throughout the War of the Ring as well, which explains them showing up at the Black Gate.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
IIRC, Gandalf saved the King of the Great Eagles at one point, years before LotR takes place. That's the only reason they even agree to help him as little as they do.

MrCheez

Mejilan said:
IIRC, Gandalf saved the King of the Great Eagles at one point, years before LotR takes place. That's the only reason they even agree to help him as little as they do.

Ahh, I think I rememeber this as well, now.

cubanb

Banned
Saturnman said:
You're talking to someone who hasn't read the books and has only seen the movies. Those birds totally come out out of nowhere from my perspective. It's not like Han Solo finally coming to help Luke Skywalker destroy the first Death Star.

dude WTF????? at least use spoiler tags

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
ScientificNinja said:
Gwahir is explained at length in the books, but not in the movies. I nearly laughed out loud when Pippin stuck up his goggle-eyed head and exclaimed "The Eagles are coming!".

WHAT eagles? You're supposed to be under an orc, anyway (or was it Merry...?)
Yeah one of those two "dies" at that point and as the life leaves him he hears "The Eagles" but believes it to be a memory of a story that Bilbo told him.

They took the hobbit false death out for two reasons IMO. one being the way the two halfs of RotK are integrated into one movie rather than seperate, the hobbit going black provided a cliffhanger for the entire second half of the book. The second being they had already done the "He's not dead!" thing 80 time in the movies :p half of those times being made up by PJ ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom