• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do most countries have exit passport control?

Susurrus

I am an American, that have been to many airports in many countries, and of all the airports I have been to, only the US seems to not give a shit if you want to leave the country. Every other country requires you to go through the passport control to leave the country, what's the deal with that?

I am not trying to start a 'MURICA thread, as it definitely is a bigger pain to get in (ESTA for example), but am genuinely curious why most countries do this.

mrkgoo

Just for record keeping purposes I guess.

Someone comes in the country, check that they leave.

I think partially it's also to check that you have the necessary documents for your destination. As well as confirming identity for passenger purposes. It's just easier to do all of that at once with your passport.

Does the US really not check?i can't recall what happened when I left US.

As a side note I remember back near September 11, security was beefed up, such that any departing flights had security and passport checks, and when it relaxed a little later, they still did it for US. My point is that maybe because US has stringent entry requirements a lot of OTHER places check outgoing and may as well make it blanket for record purposes.

I dunno

Susurrus

Does the US really not check?i can't recall what happened when I left US.

They really don't. Last time I departed the US, was in DC. International flights and domestic flights left out of the same terminal.

They know who leaves because of the flight manifest, so it is monitored.

Of course security exists, that's obvious but it is the same for domestic and international.

Top Bottom