• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do people think Reggie/NOA are important?

Hollywood

Banned
They're not. I keep reading 'omg Reggie owned!!11'. He's a freaking director of marketing for NOA. He used to work for VH1, and in his resume he changes jobs about every 2 years. He worked at marketing positions for VH1, Pizza Hut, Guiness import beer, a Chinese food service, and a bike company. He'll probably be gone to another job in a year or two. Hell he's probably making a few mil a year anywhere he goes, so its no big deal to him.

NOA has no say in anything Nintendo does, basically they take what the suits in Japan do and try to spin it in the best possible way for everyone here to sell machines. 'Oh look, we're targeting mature games from now on' ... they have no clue what decisions Nintendo makes. They just spin it in a way to appease people here. I feel sorry for them, they have to put up with all the bull that Nintendo dishes out in Japan, and make it sound good. Kina like the Iraqi Information Minister back in the day.

Lay off Reggie and NOA, not their faults.

Jonnyram

Hollywood said:
NOA has no say in anything Nintendo does, basically they take what the suits in Japan do and try to spin it in the best possible way for everyone here to sell machines.
You're saying that role is not important!?

Ferrio

Banned
I always laugh at all the people that thing Reggie is some fucking god. So now I will laugh at anyone that things Reggie is responsible for anything.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
shinji.jpg

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Ferrio said:
I always laugh at all the people that thing Reggie is some fucking god. So now I will laugh at anyone that things Reggie is responsible for anything.

i think people are just joking.. at least.. i hope they are just joking.

explodet

I'd write out a reasoned, somewhat analytical response here, but I have a good feeling it would be ignored and drowned out by the wise-ass remarks and fanboy slapfights - not to mention the photoshops.

So enjoy!

Docpan

The Nintendo fans need someone to make them feel special. Reggie gives them that sense of hope, that feeling that maybe the ship really ISN'T sinking after all.

Don't you understand that? They're desperate for anyone, ANYTHING to make them feel like they didnt waste money on a Gamecube.

Hollywood

Banned
Jonnyram said:
You're saying that role is not important!?

Well its not important in the way that they actually have a SAY in any direction Nintendo is going. Listening to interviews with people at NOA and the people in Japan, it seems like two different countries and philosophies who meet up once a year at E3 and re like 'Hi hows it going, nice to meet you .. oh you work for us?'.

Its really hard to say anything with consistency when one day your saying 'hey we're really trying to get the older people to buy our stuff' and then their announcing crap out of japan for bongo drum games or tampon microphone mario party games. I bet its even harder for Nintendo Europe and Australia to try to spin stuff. More delays, less games released, and so on.

Andy787

Banned
Ferrio said:
I always laugh at people that cannot spell "think" correctly.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Ferrio said:

He beats the shit out of the alternative. Good fucking god Sony's E3 press cons are boring.

ferricide

Hollywood said:
NOA has no say in anything Nintendo does
not true. the success of the N64 in the US was a serious contributing factor in the development of the gamecube, or so the story goes. yamauchi was toying with the idea of going game boy only. miyamoto's desire for another full-blown console is, of course, also reputed to be a significant factor.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
quadriplegicjon said:
i think people are just joking.. at least.. i hope they are just joking.
I'd like it to be known that my Reggie comments are ALWAYS in jest.

Having said that, I've notified Reggie of your insubordination Hollywood. He has your name. NOW HE'S COMING FOR YOUR ASS!

Deg

Banned
Hollywood said:
They're not. I keep reading 'omg Reggie owned!!11'. He's a freaking director of marketing for NOA. He used to work for VH1, and in his resume he changes jobs about every 2 years. He worked at marketing positions for VH1, Pizza Hut, Guiness import beer, a Chinese food service, and a bike company. He'll probably be gone to another job in a year or two. Hell he's probably making a few mil a year anywhere he goes, so its no big deal to him.

NOA has no say in anything Nintendo does, basically they take what the suits in Japan do and try to spin it in the best possible way for everyone here to sell machines. 'Oh look, we're targeting mature games from now on' ... they have no clue what decisions Nintendo makes. They just spin it in a way to appease people here. I feel sorry for them, they have to put up with all the bull that Nintendo dishes out in Japan, and make it sound good. Kina like the Iraqi Information Minister back in the day.

Lay off Reggie and NOA, not their faults.

check his CV. He worked for Procter and Gamble as his first main job.

you mean there are people that take this whole reggie thing seriously?

i always took it as a very succesful internet joke that had legs, and assumed that everyone else did the same...

The Faceless Master said:
you mean there are people that take this whole reggie thing seriously?

i always took it as a very succesful internet joke that had legs, and assumed that everyone else did the same...

Some Nintendo fans take him seriously. He hyped the GC as doing really well during the E3 conference. Ever since then it's sold pretty badly and its biggest and most hyped 3rd party title has been announced for the PS2.

Brofist

SolidSnakex said:
Some Nintendo fans take him seriously. He hyped the GC as doing really well during the E3 conference. Ever since then it's sold pretty badly and its biggest and most hyped 3rd party title has been announced for the PS2.

Add that to the fact that the DS is gonna get steamrolled, not a pretty picture.

nfreakct

If you've read any of the books (Game Over) dealing with Nintendo, NIntendo of America plays a significant role in the decisions that Nintendo makes. Just because NOA doesn't conflict with NOJ like the days of Sega of America and Sega of Japan does not mean NOA is a mere yes-man subsidary to NOJ.

Mashing

Docpan said:
The Nintendo fans need someone to make them feel special. Reggie gives them that sense of hope, that feeling that maybe the ship really ISN'T sinking after all.

Don't you understand that? They're desperate for anyone, ANYTHING to make them feel like they didnt waste money on a Gamecube.

That's funny, I thought the 15+ games I have for Gamecube justified my purchase.

Your ideas are intriguing, however, and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter as you appear to know more about me than myself.

I think its a case of even the Nintendo fans getting tired of Nintendo repeating the same crap over and over. Reggie is a refreshing change and although things really haven't changed much its nice to see someone actually animated and passionate for the company, even if he only does it cause its his job.

nfreakct said:
If you've read any of the books (Game Over) dealing with Nintendo, NIntendo of America plays a significant role in the decisions that Nintendo makes. Just because NOA doesn't conflict with NOJ like the days of Sega of America and Sega of Japan does not mean NOA is a mere yes-man subsidary to NOJ.

Well from reading Game Over, it seems NOA is actually a lap-dog to NCL. In fact, it makes it seem like NOA is more of a... legal and spin arm of NCL.

Ever hear the old saying, "NOA has to ask permission of NCL just to get up and take a whiz."

That probably holds true today as it ever did.

Top Bottom