• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why wasn't I informed? Ron & Tim together again!

jedimike

Nice find... that interview was pretty funny, but also hit on some good points. Like how console developers bail on franchises before they have a chance to hit primetime.

I like this quote from the right margin...

masterchief.jpg

There's no doubt in my mind that Microsoft has people tracking down whoever was responsible for this. I hope whoever it was thought that leaking the game was worth his job, I hear the Microsoft legal team employ some very effective ninja.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
RON GILBERT
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mi2.jpg

monkey1_9.jpg

monkey-island_2004-02-24.jpg

mi01.jpg

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

FoneBone

Jake: It seems like every now and then there are games that branch out, I can't think of any of them now, but. You know, the usual list of names—

Chris: Beyond Good and Evil?

Ron: Yeah I mean Beyond Good and Evil, I think that's an interesting, a really good example —

Jake: But it completely died on the vine. I mean, all those games come out, there's like two or three games a year or more that cause people like us, or people who are really into games trying to progress, to say "Ohh, this is fucking great!" Finally there's a game that appeals to everyone and does all these unique things that isn't about being in the mob, and then it always tanks.

Ron: Yeah, you're right. And I think the reason that that happens is, something like Beyond Good and Evil comes out—by the way, my girlfriend bought it, I didn't. She was playing it and enjoying it, and I started playing it.

I think the problem with those games is, publishers put out a new game and then when it fails, they turn around 180 degrees and run away from it. What they need to do, what Ubisoft needs to do, is do Beyond Good and Evil 2. They should immediately turn around and do that again, because that game got very good reviews, it certainly has—I don't know if I'd call it a cult following—a group of people who really like that. There's something about that game that appealed to people. They should hit it again. They should hit it again.
:( :( :(

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
He has a desk there, he isn't actually working with Doublefine though. Its just a place where he can work without distractions.

element

Schafer said:
He has a desk there, he isn't actually working with Doublefine though. Its just a place where he can work without distractions.
sounded like he is working 'with' them on something.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
element said:
sounded like he is working 'with' them on something.

Ron Gilbert said:
Chris: This is kind of an out of the blue question, but are you still going into Double Fine? How is that working out? (For those of you who don't keep up on these things, Ron announced on his blog that instead of working from home he's simply started going into Tim Schafer's Double Fine Productions offices in San Francisco.)

Ron: Tim just gave me a desk and so I have my Mac laptop and I just bring it in and hook it up to a monitor and kind of work off in a corner. A lot of days I don't even see Tim. I'm working on this game design that I'm putting together, pitching to publishers right now.

I was not getting anything done at home. If I sit at home there are just too many other things to do. There's a console out in the living room, which is a lot more fun than banging my head against the desk working on designs, so it was just much easier for me to get out of the house every day. I don't really have a lot of contact with the people of Double Fine. I just kind of work at my desk and occasionally say hi to people who walk by, but that's about it.

Thats from the interview today at Idle Thumbs

Top Bottom