• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Release Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ein Bear

I feel bad for non-U.S. folk. I just found out my GameStop is neither doing a midnight launch nor opening early on Sunday, making my wait longer. Wouldn't wanna sit around for another 2 weeks or so.

trdE2.jpg

UK GAF here... the wait is killing me! I'm counting on you guys for impressions on what launch games to pick up... really interested to see how well the multiplatform ports turn out. I've been holding off on some games like AC3 hoping they run better on the Wii U.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Buy 1 $59.99 game get $10 off, but 2 $59.99 games get $30 off, buy 1 $49.99 or lower game get the next for 40% off. Ends on 11/17.

I bought AC 3 WiiU and Scribblenauts Unlimited for $90 (plus tax) yesterday.

Edit: Oh he was referring to the Black Friday deal that brochiller just posted about. There is a similar deal going on during launch at Target, buy 2 get one 50% off on all WiiU games.

So this is going on right now? I don't have to wait until the day of Black Friday?

Jarsonot

Strange. I should be able to use it anywhere in my small apartment... I think. He seemed to have a bit of trouble in the bathroom which was only really one wall away. Meanwhile he could get it working a floor below.

The bathroom had the staircase in the way (more walls) while the lower floor had only the ceiling/floor in the way.

AGITΩ

I'm pretty pumped. Camping out starting friday morning for no other reason other than because I told everyone I would. Doesn't help that I work there too I know we have tripple the amount preordered.

Also OP should update games list, as Mass Effect 3 is an early 11/13 street dated game, its.already sitting on our shelves.

Pharros

Being relatively new to Gaf, I don't know whether to have just one account for everyone, or one seperate for each Gaf and friends.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Someone needs to make an official Gaf community on miiverse complete with a thread and hidden instructions on finding it via email tags...for the lurkers.

NateDrake

Buy 1 $59.99 game get $10 off, but 2 $59.99 games get $30 off, buy 1 $49.99 or lower game get the next for 40% off. Ends on 11/17.

I bought AC 3 WiiU and Scribblenauts Unlimited for $90 (plus tax) yesterday.

Edit: Oh he was referring to the Black Friday deal that brochiller just posted about. There is a similar deal going on during launch at Target, buy 2 get one 50% off on all WiiU games.

I have heard about this but haven't seen, nor find, the ad for it anywhere online. :(

Pharros

Was there any information on segregating friends lists? Such as having a personal friends list and a Gaf list? Quite the specific feature, I'm going to assume no.

MichaelVash7886

Neo Member
I'll probably run two or 2 IDs and see how the friends list goes. May add a third depending.

No word on keeping lists so you'll have to do it by switching accounts if you really want to.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Was there any information on segregating friends lists? Such as having a personal friends list and a Gaf list? Quite the specific feature, I'm going to assume no.

no but there was mention of different news feeds and the ability to create communities within miiverse hence my post above.

Someone needs to make an official Gaf community on miiverse complete with a thread and hidden instructions on finding it via email tags...for the lurkers.

you mean NEOGAF needs an ID and that user only posts NEOGAF stuff

we don't know if we will have communities on MiiVerse

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Yes it does. Nintendo is finally taking some big steps. Hopefully they keep on the right track and keep improving in the online space.

You know, the fact that Iwata recognized people want VC through gamepad, and said yes, they're working on a Wii U VC, does suggest for all our cynicism Nintendo does pay attention to what is being said.

Some are going to continue to assume the worst every step of the way, even when Nintendo makes the right moves.

But at this point, I think it is reasonable to have hope they'll continue to improve things.

XxCGSxX

Gamestop was the only place you could preorder here in Puerto Rico, Walmart didn't take preorders here so I'm going to go at midnight to try and get a Wii U deluxe system and NSMBU. I hope not alot of people show up! No one did for the 3ds launch. Anyone knows how many Wii U systems walmart might get?

toon_link

Ok so I finally decided that I'm going to get the white one alongside AC3 or Ninja Gaiden, Blops2, and hopefully I can get NSMBU from Old Navy on black friday. I could probably convince my bro to get a pro controller.
I can't believe its already here though. I can barely contain my excitement, seriously.
I'll just be listening to this until it's time to get in line

seady

Day One:

New Super Mario Bros. U
ZombiU
Scribblenauts Unlimitd

maybe
Call of Duty : Black Ops 2 (if it uses the system feature well)

Awesome video, basically confirms I should be able to play it virtually anywhere in my apartment.

Nice to know that a single ceiling/floor doesn't kill it. hopefully throwing in a bed on top of that won't mess things up. please work please work please work.

And day one for me is ZombiU, BLOPS2 and Deluxe WiiU. I already have 4 wii motion plus wiimotes and two nunchucks which should do well enough for now. I'll also be grabbing some DD stuff. Probably Nano Assault, Trine 2 and maybe something else, depending on price and available funds and what have you. If Pinball Arcade is there at launch, that too, plus whatever DLC tables are available if any. I figure that all ought to do it :)

Effect

One of the things holding me back on Mass Effect 3 is the possibility of there being no online community do to it being the 3rd entry (though there is the Genesis comic covering ME1 and 2) in the series and it being one of the older games in the list. I can see people giving it a pass, especially if they really have issues with EA. I think everything has a chance of selling but of course at varying degrees. Anyone planning on picking this up? Concerns about doing it?

The idea that it's an RPG would normally leave thinking that alone would be the worth the price but I heard this isn't actually a long game as far as RPGs go. Is this info wrong?

Medalion

Banned
Does the Wii U have a built-in scaler, like the 360, or does it leave it up to your TV like the PS3?

I have conflicting views on that

We know NSMBU is 720p native but on the back of the japan box it supports up to 1080p

but Nintendo Land is forced to 720p as the highest

I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE!!!! Why do I have to wait 'til Christmas to play this? WHYYYY!?

*sobs*

Boy was I glad when I could start paying my own bills LOL

One of the things holding me back on Mass Effect 3 is the possibility of there being no online community do to it being the 3rd entry (though there is the Genesis comic covering ME1 and 2) in the series and it being one of the older games in the list. I think everything has a chance of selling but of course at varying degrees. Anyone planning on picking this up? Concerns about doing it?

It has to start somewhere. In order to have a Mass Effect, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, or Ninja Gaiden community, you need to have the "early" adopters. Those who don't mind being lonely for a little while until the audience catches up.

Oh yeah, I saw today that Scribblenauts Unlimited was knocked to $49 on that preorder. Got $10 back :p

I may also get Sonic Racing if the reviews are good. I hate not having some kind of racing game with my Nintendo launch system.

Toki767

Two Nintendo IDs means two different save files right? I don't know if I'd really want to do that. Plus I doubt any of my friends in real life would get a Wii U.

Nintendo states "select content will be available on the e shop". Do we know if all launch games will be downloadable on day 1? I'd much rather buy Sonic Racing and Mario from the e shop with no tax then buy them from Best Buy.

Ein Bear

I have conflicting views on that

We know NSMBU is 720p native but on the back of the japan box it supports up to 1080p

but Nintendo Land is forced to 720p as the highest

Hmm, sounds like it's a similar situation to the PS3 then, not a standarised feature of the hardware, but some games scale themselves up.

Speaking of resolutions, do we know if any launch titles are 1080p? What about the OS itself?

Ridley327

Hmm, sounds like it's a similar situation to the PS3 then, not a standarised feature of the hardware but some individual games scale up themselves.

Speaking of resolutions, do we know if any launch titles are 1080p? What about the OS itself?

We know that Scribblenauts runs at 1080p native.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Scribblenauts Unlimited is native 1080p, and Rayman Legends would have been too if it weren't delayed. I believe that's it, unless there's a 1080p launch eShop game I don't know about. All other retail games are 720p at best.

I'm going to assume the OS runs at 1080p.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I feel bad for non-U.S. folk. I just found out my GameStop is neither doing a midnight launch nor opening early on Sunday, making my wait longer. Wouldn't wanna sit around for another 2 weeks or so.

but we'll be playing Crashmo!

who am I kidding. Crashmo will be insanely brilliant, but all I have in mind right now is my bloody WiiU leaving the bloody Amazon :(

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
My order from futureshop has been charged on my credit card and is being prepared, so I guess with the priority shipping I might be lucky and getting it on monday!!!

Also, I was at bestbuy today to pick up BLOPS2 for a relative and while I was browsing the games section quite a few people came asking about Wii U and if it was still available for pre-order. I'm guessing it's gonna be another hellish christmas for those who didn't pre-order early :S

Hylian7

I would give Kmart a shot...Most people over look that store when shopping for consoles.

There isn't a Kmart anywhere near me.

As much as I would love for Pikimin 3 and Legends to be at launch, I'm already buying six games and my wallet couldn't take anymore. :p

Best Buy. Mine is supposedly getting three times as many WiiU as they have pre-orders, and the majority of those extras are the deluxe bundle.

Best Buy is a bit of a drive, I might try that. Would I possibly have any luck with Wal-Mart or Target though?

Effect

Boy was I glad when I could start paying my own bills LOL

It has to start somewhere. In order to have a Mass Effect, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, or Ninja Gaiden community, you need to have the "early" adopters. Those who don't mind being lonely for a little while until the audience catches up.

Very true.

Which leads me to a question that I don't think has been asked and anyone that can answer this please do.

The Wara Wara Plaza when you boot up the system is suppose to show various icons of games and comments from people taken from the game's Miiverse discussion page. What is suppose to determine what games show?

All games that are released? Games pushed and promoted by Nintendo and appear at random? Games that fit game interest you select in your account? Games you've already played on your system?

Do we have information regarding this? I don't recall from the videos that have come out in English and didn't read the Japanese translation.

Ein Bear

Scribblenauts Unlimited is native 1080p, and Rayman Legends would have been too if it weren't delayed. I believe that's it, unless there's a 1080p launch eShop game I don't know about. All other retail games are 720p at best.

I'm going to assume the OS runs at 1080p.

Cool, cheers! Scribblenauts should look really nice. Fingers crossed for the OS, it's always bothered me a little how fuzzy the 360 dashboard looks compared to the XMB.

Anyone pre-order for in-store pickup from Best Buy before? If I'm reading their online policies correctly, it appears that on Sunday the online store is going to charge my card for my purchase, and all I'll need to do is bring my credit card as proof of purchase to the physical store to pick up the item. Is that how it goes? Seems like if that's how it's done, there's not a good chance they'd sell our pre-ordered Wii Us to someone else since technically they're already sold and charged for.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Anyone pre-order for in-store pickup from Best Buy before? If I'm reading their online policies correctly, it appears that on Sunday the online store is going to charge my card for my purchase, and all I'll need to do is bring my credit card as proof of purchase to the physical store to pick up the item. Is that how it goes? Seems like if that's how it's done, there's not a good chance they'd sell our pre-ordered Wii Us to someone else since technically they're already sold and charged for.

you didn't mention what store you were talking about...oh you edited it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom