• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wilco is pretty cool......

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattx5

I've heard about them a lot in the past, but I always assumed that they were just second fiddle to bands like Coldplay, Radiohead, etc.

Today, I checked them out, along with the band Pilate. While Pilate definitely sounds Radiohead-esque, Wilco sounds completely different than I thought. Really nice, soft, and melodic.

Any reccomendations?

Suggestions for Wilco material? It's all good. You seriously cannot go wrong with any of their LPs.

Summer Teeth, Mermaid Avenue, A.M., Being There, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot... If I had to pick the "worst" of these, it'd be the last one. But even that rocks.

Volt

Well I only own one of their albums : Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.
When I bought it, I couldn't really get into it, but the last couple of days I've been going back to that album and I'm starting to see what the big deal is. I'd definitely recommend the album but you might need to listen to it a couple of times before you can really connect to their songs. I don't think they're similar to Radiohead or Coldplay at all, they have a pretty unique sound.

Jak140

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and Summerteeth (you can probably find this on sale for $8.99 at Tower) are their two best albums. YHF has a more experimental studio sound while Summerteeth is more of a traditional album (but just as good). You can't go wrong with either, IMO.

mattx5

I've listened to a few more songs now. Would it be fair to compare their style to Blur and Oasis?

Edit- Ooooo, Jesus etc. is pretty damn good.

Alucard

Banned
Great band. I totally recommend Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. I can put that thing on at any time and never get tired of it. Pilate's pretty cool too, but like you said they're not overly original. Still, good music is good music.

Diablos

Wilco is one of my favorite bands. No, they're not like Blur or Oasis, in fact they're better! They kind of do their own thing.

I just bought their new album, "A Ghost is Born" today. It's pretty good - certainly a lot different than Summerteeth and Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, but then again, no Wilco album seems to sound like another one. And that's a good thing. This one is a LOT more... mellow I guess. I wouldn't suggest it to first-time listeners, it's a little different. I may end up considering it Wilco's weakest offering... but I'm only halfway through the disc, so we'll see.

Start with Summerteeth, and then Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

Now that we're talking about Wilco, what's your favorite album? I'm a Summerteeth fanboy personally... that album is perfect. YHF isn't far behind. Jeff Tweedy is a genius.

Spin didnt like Ghost too much, which is why im thinking Yankee will be the first cd of theirs I pick up in a month or so.

Not to say Spin is the best judge of records, they go through weird months where everything is fuggin A material for some odd reason or another. Other months they sound like pitchforkmedia reviews.

mattx5

adelgary said:
Animation3.gif

I have to be honest with you, my tolerance for this avatar is melting away..... as are my eyeballs.

:(

mattx5 said:
I have to be honest with you, my tolerance for this avatar is melting away..... as are my eyeballs.

:(

The forum should have an option to ignore individual users (not to display their posts) like the previous one did :(

Anyway, I don't think I'll be keeping this avatar much longer.

Dead

well not really...yet
doesnt bother me. EGADS MY VIRGIN EYES A DRAWING OF A MAN IN SUGGESTIVE POSES. Jesus how old are you people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom