• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will EA be humbled this fall?

All three consoles have must haves that will no doubtly consume most of each console userbase cash. Madden sales are starting to slow because of ESPN NFL 2k5, not just being 30 bucks cheaper, but a quality game.

IJoel

Well, they have been proven to be not invincible by Sega/Take Two.

I think they will do ok, but under expectations. Is that humbling? It all depends on their expectations. I'd say they will probably under-perform but not by a lot.

I doubt it, while most companies have 1 big title this holiday, EA has NFSU2, LoTR, The URBZ and GE2 which will all sell well.

I think EA will still have a very successful Q4. However, they do need to build more of their own IP and do less licensing of movie/other media properties. While they are very successful, EA still has to pay hefty royalties for the licenses. They would much rather have 100% of that revenue going to their own coffers.

jarrod

Banned
EA'll be fine, they'll probably be first again among game publishers (probably followed by Nintendo at number 2 and either Sony, Microsoft or Take 2 at number 3).

AirBrian

SolidSnakex said:
I doubt it, while most companies have 1 big title this holiday, EA has NFSU2, LoTR, The URBZ and GE2 which will all sell well.
My thoughts as well (and I will be buying two of these games.)

It won't be 2003 for them all over again, but they still will have the greatest fall of all. Sims 2 - the mainstream game Nr. 1 for a long time, Madden, Goldeneye, NFSU2, Urbz, other Sports shit...

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
OG_Original Gamer said:
All three consoles have must haves that will no doubtly consume most of each console userbase cash. Madden sales are starting to slow because of ESPN NFL 2k5, not just being 30 bucks cheaper, but a quality game.

No not this fall... but keep pressin on the EA voodoo doll... they are takin a hit... maybe if you stick that doll long enough..

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Haven Burnout 3 sales been disappointing so far?

Any company that releases something like the Xbox version of NCAA 2005 deserves to suffer.

GhaleonEB

DarienA said:
No not this fall... but keep pressin on the EA voodoo doll... they are takin a hit... maybe if you stick that doll long enough..

Didn't EA's stock take a $2 hit a week ago because sports games were not selling as well? They lowered guidance for the quarter as well. Don't recall the details, but between that and the price drops and two-for-one specials on the sports games, I think it's pretty clear that the ESPN games are taking a toll. Not a huge one, but like the XBox outselling the PS2 three months so far this year, it's a small chink in their armor - one that could become bigger as they transition into the next gen.

DarienA

GhaleonEB said:
Didn't EA's stock take a $2 hit a week ago because sports games were not selling as well? They lowered guidance for the quarter as well. Don't recall the details, but between that and the price drops and two-for-one specials on the sports games, I think it's pretty clear that the ESPN games are taking a toll. Not a huge one, but like the XBox outselling the PS2 three months so far this year, it's a small chink in their armor - one that could become bigger as they transition into the next gen.

...you do realize that part of the post you quoted I did say they are taking a hit?

jarrod said:
EA'll be fine, they'll probably be first again among game publishers (probably followed by Nintendo at number 2 and either Sony, Microsoft or Take 2 at number 3).

Yeah, but they may not be first for October or November.

October = TakeTwo. Two million units of GTA (5 days of sales) would give them $100 million. Last year for October EA had ~$90 million with extremely strong Madden & NBA Live numbers (top 2 sellers for the month).

November =

1) Microsoft with 2.5 million units of Halo 2 would give them $130 million (w/ LE Halo 2 included). Last year, EA had $171 million, but had ungodly NFSU, MOH:RS, & Madden accounting for $80 million

2) Nintendo w/ DS lineup, Metroid Prime Echoes, Huge 1st party GBA sales, as well as the rest of their 1st party GCN games.

3) Take-Two maybe another 2 million GTA:SA = $100 million

DarienA

jarrod said:
Well, it sold much less than what analysts expected (500k was the target, 250k the actual sales).

Stop smokin that stuff:

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/558/558354p1.html

10/19/04

Hit titles Madden 2005, The Sims 2, and Burnout 3: Takedown have each sold more than a million copies. The Sims 2 alone became the biggest PC debut in EA's history, selling more than one million copies worldwide in its first ten days of release. For its part, within one month Madden 2005 became the top-selling game in North America so far this year.

jarrod

Banned
DarienA said:
Stop smokin that stuff:

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/558/558354p1.html

10/19/04

Hit titles Madden 2005, The Sims 2, and Burnout 3: Takedown have each sold more than a million copies. The Sims 2 alone became the biggest PC debut in EA's history, selling more than one million copies worldwide in its first ten days of release. For its part, within one month Madden 2005 became the top-selling game in North America so far this year.
Erm, did you miss the NPD? Even the laughed at Pikmin 2 outsold each version of BO3...

DarienA

jarrod said:
Erm, did you miss the NPD? Even the laughed at Pikmin 2 outsold each version of BO3...

What does laughed at have to do with? You said BO:3 sold less than 250k. It did not. You said analysts said the target for BO:3 was 500k. It sold above that... what am I missing here? No I don't participate in the NPD jack off threads that much anymore, link?

Ok found the link... so EA lied? Goddamn I hate getting in the middle of these damn sales # jackoffs/

jarrod

Banned
DarienA said:
What does laughed at have to do with? You said BO:3 sold less than 250k. It did not. You said analysts said the target for BO:3 was 500k. It sold above that... what am I missing here? No I don't participate in the NPD jack off threads that much anymore, link?
My clairification that all previous infromation was in regards to the US market? Y'know, where the game comparatively bombed?

DarienA

jarrod said:
My clairification that all previous infromation was in regards to the US market? Y'know, where the game comparatively bombed?

Ah ok well I guess it's a good thing that EA has international sales then. :rolleyes

I wonder what SCEA can manage in November with:

1) Ratchet & Clank: UYA
2) Killzone
3) ATV: OF 3
4) Jak 3
5) Eye Toy: Antigrav

They've gotta be able to squeeze out ~ a million units, which would give them ~40 million.

Which is interesting as it's one of their strongest lineup of titles in a single month ever, but in market share they'll be way behind Microsoft & Nintendo for the month. WAYYYY behind.

COCKLES

being watched
Bond will take a battering. All 3 consoles have a FPS of distinction and I dont think the cheapskate way of riding on the success of N64 Goldeneye are going to do them any favours.

DarienA

COCKLES said:
Bond will take a battering. All 3 consoles have a FPS of distinction and I dont think the cheapskate way of riding on the success of N64 Goldeneye are going to do them any favours.

Even though many of the most recent previews have been favorable? I don't expect it to sell gangbusters but it seems like there is some real work being put in on it.

COCKLES

being watched
DarienA said:
Even though many of the most recent previews have been favorable? I don't expect it to sell gangbusters but it seems like there is some real work being put in on it.

I enjoyed Nightfire, hated one before that and didn't like Agent Under Fire at all. Like all EA games, the Bond series at the moment smacks of 'churn it out' and not inspiring to greatness like the new Metroid, Halo or HL.

DarienA said:

We've gone over this a number of times. I truly don't expect hardcore gamers to even give this a sniff. Not that it's not a good game of it's own merit, it's just the odd man out with Halo 2, Killzone, Metroid Prime, Half-Life 2, MGS, & even GTA. It will be very interesting to see if the gaming public get it for the name and the pedigree.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I thought I read something about Burnout 3 underperforming, but I stand corrected. Maybe the statement was about it underperforming here in the US as jarrod said.

Some EA shareholders ought to bring a derivative action against the board for the release of Xbox NCAA 2005. If any of you are EA shareholders, I can put you in touch with a non-profit shareholder advocate that could get you going on that.

Argyle

sonycowboy said:
We've gone over this a number of times. I truly don't expect hardcore gamers to even give this a sniff. Not that it's not a good game of it's own merit, it's just the odd man out with Halo 2, Killzone, Metroid Prime, Half-Life 2, MGS, & even GTA. It will be very interesting to see if the gaming public get it for the name and the pedigree.

Newsflash: Hardcore gamers aren't the ones propelling games to sales > 1M :)

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Exactly. You know how many people are going to walk in and say "Oh, The New Goldeneye for my Xbox/PS2/GC" this holiday? I'm thinking quite a few. They don't follow development, or too many reviews, etc. If it happens to be decent besides, it will only be larger. Not to mention the staggering number of people who ask us about that...game...NFSU 2.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I'm doing a project on EA for my accounting class, and they did ridiculous last year. On all the calculations I've done, they have had significant positive change over fiscal 2003. I don't know what their projections are, but I don't know if they're gonna do as ridiculous this year.

Top Bottom