• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will Ferrell on drums fixes a song he's never heard before and makes it 5x better

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I have to disagree, Chad's idea isn't bad, but the original part feels like part of the song. You can tell that the keyboard part that Chad takes his cue from sits on top of the rhythm section in the original but Chad's part meets it.

I was waiting for him to do something different through most of his performance.

That's not to take anything away from him, great drummer obviously, and he's obviously just reacting to what he's given rather than composing a part. And like Rentahamster Rentahamster , plenty of people loved it in the comments section, so just an opinion. I like the original song too, so that might colour my opinion.

I really like this series of videos though, if anyone reading liked this and isn't aware of the channel already, I heartily recommend these (fans of the channel will already know which clips I'm going to put up)

EDIT: I just watched that Mike Portnoy performance again - absolutely incredible how he managed to get to that that standard in such a short period of time.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

It sounds really good,hard to say If its better or not objectively...but one thing is clear,the fact that it was on the fly and turned that good is a testament to the man's talent and skill. Incredible.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It sounds really good,hard to say If its better or not objectively...but one thing is clear,the fact that it was on the fly and turned that good is a testament to the man's talent and skill. Incredible.

Oh definitely, Chad's a great talent. I think the part just didn't click with me as well as it has clicked with other people, it's always interesting to hear different interpretations in these videos though, there've been some really good ones, sometimes it absolutely underlines how perfect a part is or how obvious the stresses in the music are, etc.

Great channel to share though, I think they've found something that people who aren't musicians can still get a real kick out of.

I think the Charlie Benante video really underlines what a transformative effect a drum part can have.

Smiggs

Oh definitely, Chad's a great talent. I think the part just didn't click with me as well as it has clicked with other people, it's always interesting to hear different interpretations in these videos though, there've been some really good ones, sometimes it absolutely underlines how perfect a part is or how obvious the stresses in the music are, etc.

Great channel to share though, I think they've found something that people who aren't musicians can still get a real kick out of.

I think the Charlie Benante video really underlines what a transformative effect a drum part can have.

I'm not a big RHCP fan, but I absolutely love Chad's feel on the kit. The way he sits in the pocket on a beat is a lot different than most drummers. I saw a video of him sitting in with the Foo Fighters last year and he played Everlong. It's so much different compared to how Taylor played it, but it still works and gives a whole new perspective to the song. And he hits so damn hard, I love it :ROFLMAO:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I'm not a big RHCP fan, but I absolutely love Chad's feel on the kit. The way he sits in the pocket on a beat is a lot different than most drummers.
Agree with all of that (also not a RHCP fan really), it's amazing that when he plays the part from Dani California you just know the song instantly and it's all just his feel that does it.

Thaedolus

I'm not a big RHCP fan, but I absolutely love Chad's feel on the kit. The way he sits in the pocket on a beat is a lot different than most drummers. I saw a video of him sitting in with the Foo Fighters last year and he played Everlong. It's so much different compared to how Taylor played it, but it still works and gives a whole new perspective to the song. And he hits so damn hard, I love it :ROFLMAO:
The guy epitomizes having a feeling for the pocket, and all the subtle extra things he does with ghost notes and such without being too over the top are incredible to listen to live. I’m like a barbarian on the drums compared to him

Smiggs

The guy epitomizes having a feeling for the pocket, and all the subtle extra things he does with ghost notes and such without being too over the top are incredible to listen to live. I’m like a barbarian on the drums compared to him
100%. I love his dynamics on his ghost notes and his hi hat work, it's absolutely incredible--but it never takes away from the song or draws too much attention to himself. I've recently gone back and listened to some RHCP stuff from the 90s when I first started playing drums, and a lot of his parts sounded really simple to me at the time. Looking back now... boy I was a fucking idiot and missed all the nuance he brings.

Hudo

Unfortunately, there's no good video of Bill Ward playing. If someone got a video where he's playing "The Wizard", I'd be interested in seeing that.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Will Ferrell Reaction GIF

Trilobit

Each time I listen to 🌶️🌶️'s hit songs I'm reminded of what a completely unique sound they have. No other band really hits that sweetspot.

Porcile

I sometimes just listen to the Blood Sugar Sex Magik isolated instrument tracks. No interest in playing music or musical theory or whatever but it's just so cool to hear those guys do their thing as individuals. Breaking the Girl is *chef's kiss*. Scar Tissue has to be my favourite RHCP instrumental though. Perfect piece of music.

Wildebeest

Well the song is called can you feel my heart and if your heart is going like that should probably call an ambulance. Dude thought it was Ministry and was trying to play faster and more accurately than a drum machine like it was a terminator movie.

Top Bottom