• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Will my laptop be able to run Sims 2?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Specs:

Dell D600
1.4GHz
512MB Ram
MOBILITY RADEON 9000

I don't buy PC games often (since I have a freaking laptop), but I'd like to get Sims 2 for an upcoming trip if possible and would appreciate any help.

probably going to run at 15frames, but then, so did The Sims when it was first released, for most people.

I'm just hazarding a wild guess versus my feel for Maxis, BTW

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I know the RADEON 9000 comes in 32 and 64 MB, but how do I find out which one I have? I can't seem to find that info.

AstroLad said:
I know the RADEON 9000 comes in 32 and 64 MB, but how do I find out which one I have? I can't seem to find that info.

I'll bet a video hardware analysis is the first thing displayed onscreen when it boots up. There is probably a Dell or HP splash screen keeping all that information from you. Hold Del (or whatever it says your setup button is) while booting to enter the BIOS settings and look around in there for an option to turn off a splash screen or silent boot. Don't futz with that shit if you don't know what you're doing, but this one setting is harmless.

Much easier would be to open up your display settings in XP, click the advanced button on the setting tab and then look at the adaptor tab. Most likely tallies your vid RAM there too.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
ArcadeStickMonk said:
I'll bet a video hardware analysis is the first thing displayed onscreen when it boots up. There is probably a Dell or HP splash screen keeping all that information from you. Hold Del (or whatever it says your setup button is) while booting to enter the BIOS settings and look around in there for an option to turn off a splash screen or silent boot. Don't futz with that shit if you don't know what you're doing, but this one setting is harmless.

Much easier would be to open up your display settings in XP, click the advanced button on the setting tab and then look at the adaptor tab. Most likely tallies your vid RAM there too.

Ah, thx. 32MB, of course. : /

Wonder if it can run Doom 3! :p

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Well, that's not too bad. I tried running Doom 3 on a Geforce 4 MX 440 on the max settings :D The funny things is that it didn't go any slower than when I had it on low settings, but I guess the game was lagging so much on low settings, it couldn't lag anymore. I'm surprised it didn't crash.

Top Bottom