• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

will PSP accept normal memory sticks?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I know its a duo slot, but would a normal mem. stick pro fit and work (albeit sticking out)?

I have some of those already from my camera, and I'd prefer not to pay again when I buy a PSP.

My camera locks the card in place with a 'push to lock, push again to unlock'. If that catch is at the contacts end of the card, then surely there is no reason why a big stick wouldn't work?

Similar question for those little half MMC cards. They come in the nokia 7610 for example. Would a full size MMC fit?

Mrbob

I don't think so. I think they work the other way around (Can put a duo in a normal memory stick slot but I think you need an adapter) but I don't believe a regular memory stick works in a duo slot.

Which sucks. I wish Sony would have stuck with the regular format. Everything else I have uses it. Lame they are using the Duo to push with the PSP.

snapty00

Banned
Mrbob said:
I don't think so. I think they work the other way around (Can put a duo in a normal memory stick slot but I think you need an adapter) but I don't believe a regular memory stick works in a duo slot.

Which sucks. I wish Sony would have stuck with the regular format. Everything else I have uses it. Lame they are using the Duo to push with the PSP.
Same here. They could've picked any number of other standards and I probably would've had it. Pretty fucking lame, in my opinion.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just checked my camera again. Seems like the locking mechanism is on the little circular cut out near the contact pins (see the pic)

874618_01_large.jpg

So I would think that a normal one would fit a duo slot, providing the entrance is clear (doesn't need to close) - you just need an adapter to use a duo in a normal slot as its too long.

mmm. So I should be OK with my normal sticks, which is good news - plus they are currently available up to 2GB, which is way bigger than the duo, so good for movie ripping/mp3

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Don't think so, mrklaw...It's not just the physical length of the duo sticks that's different, the height and depth are apparently different as well:

Q3. What are the dimensions of Memory Stick media?
A3. Standard-size Memory Stick media measures 50.0 (W) x 21.5 (H) x 2.8 (D) mm (1.97 x 0.85 x 0.11 in). Memory Stick Duo media, designed specifically for use in ultra-compact and wearable devices, is only approx. one-third the volume and half the weight of standard-size media. It measures 31.0(W) x 20.0(H) x 1.6(D) mm (1.22 x 0.79 x 0.06 in).
From the official Memory Stick FAQ @ http://www.memorystick.com/en/support/faq.html#faq1

So a Duo only slot can specifically be smaller in every physical dimension, meaning a standard size MemStick wouldn't even fit.

Top Bottom