• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

will there EVER be another Herzog Zwei

doncale

Banned
or game like it.

sometimes, it is my favorite game EVER.

I payed something like $44 new at Babbage's when it was new. I returned it because I needed the cash for something else. but then I bought it a second time, and vowed to never part with it. to this day I have the game. it's never packed away, it's always in sight along with my original Altered Beast Genesis..

I don't think there will ever be another game exactly like it... a sequel, a remake, etc.
sigh.

I'm hoping though, that the Nintendo DS gets something similar.

Herzog Zwei, one of the greatest, most fun, most addictive games ever.

Herzog%20Zwei%20MD%20(BS).jpg

mdherzog.JPG

explodet

Arguably yes, Herzog Zwei was the first RTS - although Dune II was the more influential game - a lot of later PC RTS games built on the design of Dune II.

doncale

Banned
Herzog Zwei was the first real time strategy game that got wide spread release and attention.

Herzog on the MSX in the late 80s came before Herzog Zwei on Megadrive 1989 / Genesis 1990. there might have been 1 other RTS before Herzog Zwei, but really Herzog Zwei was the first RTS in all practicality.

yes, Herzog Zwei came before RTS Dune II

GDGF

Soothsayer
God I love that game. It's certainly one of my favorite games ever. I wish I had never sold it. It's one of the few games I will allow myself to play through 'other means' since I owned an original copy, but it's not the same.

I'm going to have to get a new Genny and hit Ebay up for a copy.

explodet said:
Arguably yes, Herzog Zwei was the first RTS - although Dune II was the more influential game - a lot of later PC RTS games built on the design of Dune II.

I think I read somewhere in an interview by the makers of Dune II that if not for Herzog, that game would have never been made or something. It was super influential.

Pachinko

It is arguably one of the best games of all time. Even if they took the base genesis game and slapped a slick 3D engine one it , keeping all of the gameplay intact , I'd play the pants off of it.

I still get half its music stuck in my head... 13 years or so now since I first played it too.

Top Bottom