• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/7/7173451/my-name-is-dan-and-i-had-a-bent-iphone

Verge guy has kept his iPhone in a case, never abused it, and it bent for no reason.

He then proceeds to write about how awesome the experience was at the apple store and how the process only took 20 minutes.

WTF, any other flagship phone, especially WP, that bent like that would have been crucified. Instead, this article is written as if exchanging your phone is pleasurable. Why don't you discuss the design flaw? What Apple plans to do after people's warranty expires?

Ah bummer, will just have to get a 1520 then. Or I might get a Blackberry Passport while waiting for the new flag ship.
I like dead platforms
920 is just getting long in the tooth. Lots of hitching

My son still using the 920 and he swore by it. I ask him if he wants to upgrade to my 1020 or even a OnePlus and he said nope it works fine.

OMG Siri is garbage!!!!

I miss using cortana, works so much better.

Siri thinks every command is "Call Landlord"

and it doesnt give me proper response time to cancel the fucking thing as THE IPHONE DOESNT HAVE A BACK BUTTON

EVERY COMMAND, it rarely gets it right.

OMG Siri is garbage!!!!

and it doesnt give me proper response time to cancel the fucking thing as THE IPHONE DOESNT HAVE A BACK BUTTON

If you talk like you type then it's definitely a miracle that Cortana understands you at all.

But seriously, I had a similar experience when comparing Cortana to Google Now. It also helps that Cortana is just more fun to use.

PG2G

so wait, best choice is the 830 on att in US? compered to unlocked 930?

even with the 1080p and 2GB RAM on 930?

Depends on your priorities. The Lumia 830 is not an option for me due to specs and I'm not sure id be ready to give up LTE either lol. 1520 is ideal of you can stand the size. I am considering getting one off contract since I'd still find some use for it later on after buying another phone.

Or I might just get an M8

Klocker

LTE & microSD

K thanks... I'm guessing I'd miss my LTE?

also it is quad core so better perfomance then mu dual cor ATIV I'd assume... also, do we know yet if these are dead when wp10 hits? debating to hang until next summer to see what MS comes up with. but that 830 looks purty.

My son still using the 920 and he swore by it. I ask him if he wants to upgrade to my 1020 or even a OnePlus and he said nope it works fine.
I've certainly enjoyed using it, and the aesthetics are still unmatched even by the new Lumias but IE crashes all the time now and the music app has gotten slow since I've expanded my collection. Need that ram!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
OMG Siri is garbage!!!!

I wish cortana had a timer control though. 'Give me a timer for ten minutes' or variations just gives me a web search. I have to ask it to remind me in 10 minutes. Then it asks what to remind - I'm just getting something out of the oven, stop being nosy and just let me use a timer!

joshschw

I wish cortana had a timer control though. 'Give me a timer for ten minutes' or variations just gives me a web search. I have to ask it to remind me in 10 minutes. Then it asks what to remind - I'm just getting something out of the oven, stop being nosy and just let me use a timer!

"set an alarm in twelve minutes" :)

Don't know what you mean, I've set "alarm in X minutes" with cortana several times and it works fine.
You eventually run out of alarm space, I tried setting one a few nights ago at work to check the machines and it told me I was out of space so I had to pull my phone out(was using the band to set them) and delete a whole bunch.

Ape

Banned
http://www.theverge.com/2014/11/7/7173451/my-name-is-dan-and-i-had-a-bent-iphone

Verge guy has kept his iPhone in a case, never abused it, and it bent for no reason.

He then proceeds to write about how awesome the experience was at the apple store and how the process only took 20 minutes.

WTF, any other flagship phone, especially WP, that bent like that would have been crucified. Instead, this article is written as if exchanging your phone is pleasurable. Why don't you discuss the design flaw? What Apple plans to do after people's warranty expires?

That reads like an ad

derFeef

That reads like an ad

"It's shit, but buy it, I do too"

But I'm not going to stop using my iPhone 6 — it has a killer camera, great performance, access to the best apps, and the benefit of Apple's support infrastructure — and I'm not likely to stop recommending it to others. If this happens again (or if you also happen to own an iPhone that has bent), I'll go through the same process and hopefully have as good of an experience as I had today. Still, it shouldn't have bent in the first place.

Milchjon

MS Head of Phones Design:

peter_griffith.jpg

"I've made a huge mistake"

Edit: Anyone wanna figure this teaser out?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsVnu-BYfgY&feature=youtu.be

derFeef

WC:
*Update:** We've received new information that the images, as it turns out, are fake. The image of the yellow device in question looks identical to the one featured in our hands-on of the Lumia 1320 back at Nokia World 2013. That's not to say that the device alleged to be the Lumia 1330 won't feature a similar design. A leaked image of the back cover does indicate that the speaker will now be alongside the camera sensor. This set of images, are however, believed to be false. We're sorry for the confusion, and will be more diligent in the future (whilst checking our own media).

MCD

I hope we get more accessories. I don't know what I want but I want more accessories because why not.

n64coder

I'm thinking about going with a service like straight talk for my wireless. I'd like to compare the various other companies like straight talk. Is there a good website that breaks down all of these companies and what carrier towers they use on the back end? I have ATT phones so I can't use them with Virgin mobile since they use Sprint...at least I think so :)

tldr; is there somewhere online that compiles all of the no contract wireless companies and what cell carrier backbone they use to find all the companies that will support my existing ATT phone

Damn even my TLDR is long

You can read up on the different MVNOs at howardforums.com MVNO forum section. Personally, I use cricketwireless.com which is a subsidiary of ATT. The cheapest plan is $35/month for unlimited call/text with 1GB of high speed data assuming that you use credit-card auto-pay. You can also put friends/family on your plan to get 5 phones for $100/month.

Other MVNOs are StraightTalk (ATT or Verizon), Ting, T-mobile, Page Plus, Consumer Cellular, Tracfone, Airvoice, Virgin, MetroPCS.

StraightTalk and Cricket are the two bigger MVNOs in my opinion.

830 has the best battery life out of any Windows Phone I've ever used (Samsung Focus, Lumia 520/900/920/925). Very happy with it right now.

Haha, that would be 3 times of what I'm usually getting on my 800/920.

It's probably my own fault. I might have a problem or two

Exactly. Maybe not 3x for me, but almost all my phones would be near dead, or at least battery saver, by the end of the day. My past two phones (especially my 520) would frequently die before the end of the night.

830 keeps trucking.

hitgirl

jeez you guys are nuts I charge my phone every 2 days. Figure I might as well do a full battery drain then a full charge, two days leaves me at about 15-25% left.

Top Bottom