• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows Phone 8.1 |OT| Update 1

The phone is not that different from the Lumia 520 the year before, which was given away as a pack-in in cereal boxes (it was that cheap). And that one had capacitive buttons.

I dunno, from this it seems like a decent upgrade overall.

And anyway: I still don't see there being a problem with on-screen buttons in the first place, aside from maybe some sort of dislike of corporations stretching profit margins. They're buttons. They work.

giga

Both capacitive and on-screen buttons are terrible with toolbars and tab bars on the bottom of apps. Google has been trying to solve this by putting everything at the top, like with hamburger menus. This has its own sets of issues though. I guess this is the interaction model that Microsoft is going to as well. All around bad situation.

My phone screen broke so I get a 640 keep me floating until 950 hits. I honestly love the on screen buttons, not only they look great because the theme changes the bar, I far less accidentally press them when grabbing the phone.

Plus the apps do a great job telling when it should be hidden and when it should be shown, so they almost never take a needed screen space.

There are some bugs, because every now and then the app fails to adjust it's UI for the bar, but usually hiding or showing does the trick.

Both capacitive and on-screen buttons are terrible with toolbars and tab bars on the bottom of apps. Google has been trying to solve this by putting everything at the top, like with hamburger menus. This has its own sets of issues though. I guess this is the interaction model that Microsoft is going to as well. All around bad situation.

I dont understand this complaint either, the on screen buttons can be hidden just by swiping up and its always responsive.

The only problem I run into specifically with the preview, is it can be way too easy to hit the windows key while txt messaging with the on screen buttons. I think the clearance is cutting it a little close there, but otherwise I seriously prefer that to hitting search button without fail with hardware buttons.

Klocker

Picked up the 640 yesterday $79.99, are you kidding me? the Body Glove case was 40% the cost of the phone for crying out loud. What a freaking no brainer this phone is.... perfect middle usage, low cost of entry device. After adding an Sd card.

Will hold me over just fine until the new flags or surface phones hit to decide if they are worth my money.

Oh and coming from an Ativ S Neo with capacitive buttons (including a physical windows button) for turning on screen and I surprisingly am not arsed by the on screen buttons as badly as I thought I'd be. Agree that I seem to hit the buttons less by accident and the swipe to hide is nice.

First time using glace and LUMIA camera and those are very cool.

kharma45

Exactly, there's going to be a big empty space (inside and out) where they should be, but they simply won't be there.

735 is bad for that. Loads of room below for the buttons.

lumia-735.jpg

Nexus 6 does it right

hero-980x653.jpg

giga

I dont understand this complaint either, the on screen buttons can be hidden just by swiping up and its always responsive.

The only problem I run into specifically with the preview, is it can be way too easy to hit the windows key while txt messaging with the on screen buttons. I think the clearance is cutting it a little close there, but otherwise I seriously prefer that to hitting search button without fail with hardware buttons.
Two steps to go back or home? Sounds like the worst thing ever.

Paganmoon

Two steps to go back or home? Sounds like the worst thing ever.

yepp, swiping so that the onscreen buttons don't cut off parts of the application (they don't always "minimize" the app to fit) and then having to swipe again to get them to show, just to go back within the application. And yeah, the windows button is just too easy to hit when typing, did not have this issue on my 1020 at all.

Might have been ok, with thin bezels, but then, with too thin bezels, you'll probably run into problems trying to swipe it on and off.

hadareud

The Translator
Come on MS, give me a new phone build.

I'm going on holiday next week and I'd like a new build with improved battery life.

Do it.

DO IT.

kazinova

Anyone figure out how to download tracks on your Zune--I mean Xbox--I mean Groove Music Pass on W10? I can only see the option to purchase.

Heretic

Got bored and put W10 on my daily driver. So far I'm really enjoying it. Much nicer on my 830 than my 920 as well.

I have it on my 630 now and its okay. Maybe a hard reset would have been good.

Still can't send or receive text messages without having to reboot my phone every time I want to send or receive one.

The Process
- Type Text
- Reboot phone so text goes out
- Wait 5 minutes or so for the receiving party to reply
- Reboot phone
- Read incoming text then reply
- Reboot so text goes out

Gotta love it! I just stick to Skype now...

Klocker

have a back up 635 here I'm about to reset and give the insider build a try , probably tomorrow... so please tell me if it goes to shit is there any going back to 8.1?

Thx

Since I was directed here, I have a Nokia Lumia 520, and I was wondering if it's possible to recover deleted text messages. Backup isn't turned on, either. I need to recover a person's number that I met couple months ago, and it's somewhat important.

Thanks

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
It's weird my friend and i have been getting duplicate text messages. She is using Android and on a different carrier. Doesn't make sense.

I really hate windows mobile 10 so far. Browsing is bad, input is wrong, lot's of weird bugs, sudden death of apps, broken downloads, saving images just sucks etc.

I love windows phone, but this shit....

I really hate windows mobile 10 so far. Browsing is bad, input is wrong, lot's of weird bugs, sudden death of apps, broken downloads, saving images just sucks etc.

I love windows phone, but this shit....

It's also pre-release software.

I wouldn't give judgment to any pre-release software unless it's a perpetual beta, or it's days away from RTM.

It should be way further now. Heck Windows10 is gold.

Just load one *.gif and the edge browser crashes.
Tabbing is bugged as hell. Almost every feature has multiple bugs.

Preview of ios and android where waaaaay better.

Fuck, even the stupid keyboard is full of bugs and non working elements.
Do MS test their shit?

It should be way further now. Heck Windows10 is gold.

Just load one *.gif and the edge browser crashes.
Tabbing is bugged as hell. Almost every feature has multiple bugs.

Preview of ios and android where waaaaay better.

Fuck, even the stupid keyboard is full of bugs and non working elements.
Do MS test their shit?

The build for phones is not finalized until later this year (around October). Desktop is simply releasing much earlier and resources were shifted to "finish" the desktop build in time.

Zeknurn

Windows 10 for desktops came together in terms of stability and finish in the last month or two of the development. The same thing will happen to the mobile sku.

OEM

I dont know what changed but man my phone is running not so well. This preview has made it so slow, and super bugggy at times. This wasnt case when I first installed it. Dont know what happened. We need a new build ASAP

JaggedSac

Since I was directed here, I have a Nokia Lumia 520, and I was wondering if it's possible to recover deleted text messages. Backup isn't turned on, either. I need to recover a person's number that I met couple months ago, and it's somewhat important.

Thanks

Check your wireless providers website. You can get a list of numbers you've called and texted. Process of elimination could help you find the one you need.

Nero3000

ok biggest issue i have with the current W10 build is that the touch screen will stop working after the proximity sensor shuts it off (i.e. during a call), so i cant hang up.

hadareud

The Translator
Yes that's an awful bug. Doesn't happen all the time, but often enough for it to be fucking awful. And only fixed by a soft reset.

It's high time for a new build, I really hope it's coming this week.

All I need from Window Phone 10 marketplace is a GREAT photo editing app; iPhone has a great app called 'Enlight' it does wonders for edit photos on the fly for my apparel company, 'Battle District'.

WP unofficial apps, in lieu of the official apps, are much better for business because they often have more functionality; multiple account access being the greatest of all functions.

Soon as I get that photo editing app, good by iPhone!

Top Bottom