• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Windows/System32/Config/System

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Won't let me boot because that 'system' file is screwed up. When I run a 'repair' it freezes after picking the account.

I already installed XP on another partition, but I really don't feel like re-installing all the software and what not.

Any suggestions on how to bring the original install back to life?

DaCocoBrova

Doesn't that need to be enabled prior to the sh!t hitting the fan?

I don't think it is.

Any instruction on how to check?

Mugen

Banned
What OS were you using before?

If it''s XP and you don't have System Restore enabled, try rebooting with your XP disc in the disc drive.

DaCocoBrova

XP Pro all day.

This isn't even my machine. I built it for this guy and he comes back a week later talking about it won't boot.

DaCocoBrova

It's one damn file, so it says. I already re-installed, but didn't overwrite the old installation, which I would like to ressurect and continue using.

Is there a way to do that from the OS CD? Repair is the closest thing, and that freezes like I had mentioned.

How this can happen in less than a week baffles me.

Ecrofirt

why don't you just store all the data from his HD on your HD and the wipe it clean and start over? then you can go about getting his data back from your HD.

just a suggestion.

DaCocoBrova

You guys really need to work on your reading comprehension.

1. Already re-installed XP on another partition.

2. I can see the old install files just fine

3. I am trying to avoid having to re-install the 20GB of apps I had on the old install

4. Windows/System32/Config/System is the file I would like to replace, since that's what is preventing the machine from booting.

Yeah, I had that exact same problem. It happened to me multiple times over the course of a few months. It was after I flashed the BIOS on my HD controller card. The bad news is, that there's no way to extract that file and copy it into the XP install. It won't work. The only way to fix the problem is to wipe out the drive and clean instal Windows. It sucks, I know, but that's the way it is.

Neo_ZX

That's exactly what happened to me when I OCed my CPU on a board that couldn't handle it. Although the later BIOS revisions clearly stated it should, 95% of users can't get it to work.

Anyways, I got the same error and I ended up doing this but none of the application data is retained.

I have way more than 20 apps too so I feel your pain. Had to do a fresh re-install which it probably the best solution but it hurt losing my setup that lasted 1.5 years w/o formatting :(

Edit: Oh it was 20 GIGS of apps. I only have like 5. Yeah you're screwed.

SyNapSe

That's your registry file

Was he able to log in since this happened? If not booting with the "Last Known Good Configuration" will load the backup copy of the registry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom