• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter 2014 Anime |OT| I've got to find a dandy guy who killed my dad in the space

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Why does K-on keep coming out with cute figures? I couldnt pass these up.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bd3c-aLCIAAkSX5.jpg
Remember for every K-On figurine released a poor deserving series misses out on getting even one figurine to retail.

EDIT:
i8zmuJCf7PzOP.jpg

jbug617

Banned
Yowamushi Pedal 14

Onoda having a moment with his rival. Still nice to see Onoda is still having fun.

I wonder what team will be the one to wipe the smile off his face because you know it's coming.

Cardfight!! Vanguard Link Joker Episode 114 (engDub)
tumblr_mzd7z2Pces1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mzd7z2Pces1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Since it is the start of a new arc, they have to get every old character dueling again so of course Emi had to get a cardfight!! Still keeping the Bermuda Triangle deck but with the new cards that came out in the meantime (actually quite sure these even had tv ads all through 2013). Perhaps at least the message behind the episode was a good one that at least suggested that no matter what superficial criteria one uses (choosing cards only how cute they are) that a powerful deck could be made. Somehow the cutesey cards (PR♥ISM-Promise, Labrador) pushed the levels on the highest attack levels thus far in the anime even !.

Shocking how Rekka is a middle schooler, she always seemed a bit older for Team Ultra Rare, if Aichi can win and redeem the club since Shingo and my Naoki lost to cuteness ! :(

Mortemis

Banned
Buddy Complex 02

Meh, was hoping for more train-wreck, looks like a run of the mill boring mech series. I'll watch the next episode I guess, but I'll probably bail after that.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
D-Frag
xi5JWbkl.jpg

Welp, why not.

You know, I guess in a way this reminds me of KKK, but not as culturally specific. Straight man just yelling at all the crazies around him.

cajunator

Banned
Poor Mugi, no longer counting for anything.

Not true, but apprently shes the last in the line or something. Much harder to find this figure.

Paranoia Agent 8, Take 2

So just gonna spoiler the entire thing out of sheer laziness.

Let's assume for a moment that I was wrong (unthinkable, I know) and that this episode has nothing to do with abortions, planned parenthood, or any other contraceptive/fertility/etc message, and instead examine it all anew.

Hitokage directed my attention to the shadows and I confess that the first time through I missed this. In the beginning of the episode Zebra and Fuyubachi sort of look like they have them, so it's possible that the trio was still alive and that their first attempt was a success, considering that they see Komome and then a wrecking ball flies into the room. The next scene has their bodies lying flat on the ground, and they get up and walk away. So it is safe to say that from at least that early in the episode they were dead, and it makes other things, like the man who jumped in front of the train and somehow lived through it, make more sense (if they Zebra is seeing his ghost instead of his actual self.)

The episode's plot is then about the worth of life and not throwing it away via suicide, and demonstrates through the caricature of these three unlucky death-seekers, that suicide is a terrible solution to one's problems. This is made clearest when the three are in the inn, discussing how jealous they are that Fox got to die, and wondering why Lil' Slugger didn't come and kill them, too. The irony is that they claim to have been backed into a corner the way Lil' Slugger's victims were, when in reality the three of them have every reason to live in each other. Indeed, their reasons for wanting to die make clear the reasons they have for living, too: Fuyabuchi is old and ill, and seemingly all alone. Zebra is struggling with homosexuality in a society that does not accept it (and possibly the loss of his love), and Komome is very lonely. The moment she declares "don't leave me behind!" drives the point home: none of them should want to die, because they have each other. They may not be lovers, may not be linked by blood, may not have anything in common at all, but they are, in fact, a family.

At the end of the episode, Fuyabuchi realizes they are dead, but I confess that the first time I watched it the scene came across more as him realizing how much he had to live for in the two people with him. This is possibly because throughout the episode Fuyabuchi's primary concern shifts from "How can we kill ourselves" to "How can we prevent Komome from dying?" until, of course, Komome makes it clear that, life or death, she doesn't wish to be separated from them, at which point Fuyabuchi's motivations become ever more increasingly "how can I keep this little girl happy?" Thus, when Fuyabuchi realizes he has no shadow, that his last pill is still in the case and he has gone for nearly a day without any need of it, and thus the three of them are dead, his attitude changes altogether. He walks hand in hand with Komome and Zebra, and the three of them cheerfully pose for a picture, walking away without regard for the screams of horror of the people they had taken the picture with. The title "Happy Family Planning" then, refers not to some method of birth control, but to the fact that Fuyabuchi, Zebra, and Komome's plan had lead them to become a happy family, as it were.

As noted by others earlier, the reason Lil' Slugger runs away from them, assuming that Lil' Slugger is more than just a man (as the series is presently suggesting), is because the three death-seekers are in fact the exact opposite of the people he has attacked so far. They're not backed into a corner, not isolated, and not altogether stressed out. In fact, for three suicidal dead people, they're pretty much carefree. This sets them up as an ironic counterpart to the people in the series, all of whom are living and wishing desperately for release from their troubles even as they struggle under the strain of isolation, whereas these three dead people are cheerful, enveloped in companionship, and, most notably selfless. The victims always thought of themselves, whereas the dead have spent their entire screentime concerned for each other.

To be perfectly honest, it's wrong to say this episode could have been penned by Kawamori. It's similar in that it serves as a scathing review of the people of Japan and the illness of modern Japanese Culture, but unlike Kawamori, it's actually very subtle, choosing to show what's wrong and allowing the viewer to draw those conclusions and think about them, rather than bludgeoning them over the head with it as Arjuna did. If Kawamori had penned this episode, you would have been told the point and berated for needing it told you, while being shown imagery that likely would have conflicted with, undermined, and ultimately poisoned the message. So, as Shergal said last night, you could say this episode was like something Kawamori had made, but unlike Kawamori's plots, this was actually good.

So you see how subtly brilliant this episode was at last. It lends itself to multiple viewings because it seemed so silly at first. but there are layers to this episode, which you have described pretty well. I love this episode quite a bit and Im pretty sure its highly regarded.

People hate nice girls.

So true. Go ahead and hate the sweethearts. More waifus for me.

Default boring girl is always boring and destined to lose. It's Kanna-syndrome.

I can deal with that perfectly fine.

cnet128

Banned
Cardfight!! Vanguard Link Joker Episode 114 (engDub)
tumblr_mzd7z2Pces1qbxqfpo1_500.png
tumblr_mzd7z2Pces1qbxqfpo2_500.png

Holy shit what are girls this cute doing stuck in some shonen card battling show?! That shouldn't be allowed!

Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! 7

Turns out the supposed crisis in the Palmier Kingdom was a false alarm. Just Milk getting lonely, lol. Still, it gave us an excuse to see Milk properly again for once (because I totally don't think she's going to end up playing a major role in this series or anything). Come to think of it, at the end of this episode Milk found a mysterious glowing blue seed that had emerged from the Rose Pact. Whatever could that be about, I wonder? =p

Oh, and we got a new villain dispatched from Eternal this episode, too. Some guy called Never Tacos (what does he have against tacos?) He doesn't seem particularly interesting.

Holy shit what are girls this cute doing stuck in some shonen card battling show?! That shouldn't be allowed!

Yes! Precure 5 GoGo! 7

Turns out the supposed crisis in the Palmier Kingdom was a false alarm. Just Milk getting lonely, lol. Still, it gave us an excuse to see Milk properly again for once (because I totally don't think she's going to end up playing a major role in this series or anything). Come to think of it, at the end of this episode Milk found a mysterious glowing blue seed that had emerged from the Rose Pact. Whatever could that be about, I wonder? =p

Oh, and we got a new villain dispatched from Eternal this episode, too. Some guy called Never Tacos (what does he have against tacos?) He doesn't seem particularly interesting.

You would be correct about Nebultacos.

CorvoSol

Paranoia Agent 10

Finally back to the plot, and now I'm wondering what it was that
made Lil' Slugger back down.
Love? Hope? Facing Reality? Courage? Hmmmm. I'm also convinced as of this episode that Lil' Slugger is in fact the solution to Sagi's original problem. He is the new character she created. I mean for crying out loud, the lady in the episode flat out says
he's the same as Maromi.
Also we KNOW Sagi isn't sane, so yeah.

cajunator

Banned
IS manages to have two childhood friends, which I still find hilarious.

IS just takes a lot of rules and chucks them along with everything else. IS dont give a fuck.

No prob bob

Just another step in the development of a :kurita :cajun :wonzo :firehawk :corvo :sdburton anime: The Anime to End All Anime and Save Us From This Never-ending Hell

Does Kanon count?
Not really

That would be one hell of an anime but with :kurita what would it become?

I wonder what percentage of harems actually end with the protag actually choosing a girl. And out of that, what percentage of the shows have it where he makes it clear from the start he had her as the favorite.

And out of that, how many of them are childhood friends. I would hope that with the crazy amount of shows in the genre, this study would have been made. For the children.

I like how Maburaho ends
with Kazuki splitting into multiples and each girl getting one
and then theres Ai Yori Aoshi in which the girls in the "harem" arent a factor at all.

Come to think of it, Myself;Yourself ends with the childhood friend, although I'm not sure if that was really a harem.

There's also Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, which again does the "two routes" thing, so the childhood friend would win in that.

Lol KGNE. Now that show is a melodramatic clusterfuck.
Actually its a tiny bit similar to Golden Time in some ways.

Yes. I will certainly get her as well if I can find this.

So I bought the first volume of Kill la Kill and meant to post images here yesterday, but jet lag punched me in the nuts and so here I am at work sans photos.

PLEASE BE EXCITED OR SOMETHING.

Or just go on my Twitter. Whatever.

ALSO HI.

Yowapeda Episode 14

Kind of a bit boring focusing on Onoda usually, not to mention how he is so disadvantaged in this whole thing. When he gets proper shoes and a bike, I wonder how good he will be.

I hope this anime wont do like Area no Kishi and end right before the Inter High ...

Syrinx

Full Metal Panic! 20

Nooooooooooo Melissa you'd better survive this.

As for Sousuke, I'd tell him to blow Gauron's head right the fuck off of his shoulders, but you never know when a sneaky bastard like that is going to pull something. He'd better approach this cautiously.

One of the themes in recent episodes seems to be how Chidori is often just sitting around, either oblivious or out of the loop when shit is really going down. Mainly because she isn't experienced in dealing with this type of crap and in all rights shouldn't have to. But even though she's been dragged into this, now that she has, she wants to help out Sousuke and Tessa and the others, but really can't since Whispered powers I guess are something that you can't really control at will.

CorvoSol

Full Metal Panic! 20

Nooooooooooo Melissa you'd better survive this.

As for Sousuke, I'd tell him to blow Gauron's head right the fuck off of his shoulders, but you never know when a sneaky bastard like that is going to pull something. He'd better approach this cautiously.

One of the themes in recent episodes seems to be how Chidori is often just sitting around, either oblivious or out of the loop when shit is really going down. Mainly because she isn't experienced in dealing with this type of crap and in all rights shouldn't have to. But even though she's been dragged into this, now that she has, she wants to help out Sousuke and Tessa and the others, but really can't since Whispered powers I guess are something that you can't really control at will.

Doesn't Kalinin say that if it was up to him he'd have put Gauron in the ground then and there?

Kalinin is an ice cold guy.

Syrinx

Doesn't Kalinin say that if it was up to him he'd have put Gauron in the ground then and there?

Kalinin is an ice cold guy.

Yeah he's awesome, haven't seen much of him recently though.

It's just that when a guy like Gauron comes out of his AS and tells you to shoot him, you kinda have to at least consider that the fucker is up to something.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
IS just takes a lot of rules and chucks them along with everything else. IS dont give a fuck.
Which is why S1 is amazing!
Lol KGNE. Now that show is a melodramatic clusterfuck.
Actually its a tiny bit similar to Golden Time in some ways.
No ghosts though. :)

The Pilot's Love Song
CL5uDM3l.jpg

Welp, anime is now video games.

hpQEXFvl.jpg

But duckroll was right. This was Titanic for a while. Then it turns into Last Exile in episode 2, with bullshit politics and machinations and class warfare.

I guess I'll stick around for the planes, since that's what I wanted out of Yamato, but the syfy set up makes me really wary based on past experience.

cajunator

Banned
"Good pacing" is the MC choosing worst girl right at the beginning followed by a whole cour of watching best girl suffering?

Well, I guess it does get the inevitable over with ~.~

Kanna or Lemon. He completely whiffed and chose the alien.
Total fuckup.

Wizzzzzzard Barristers

While I certainly share the consensus opinion that the character designs in this series are kind of bad/Umetsu, one thing I do have respect is that there's no 'young' girls in the main cast (thus far). For the most part they all appear to be 20 something and over which is really not the kind of thing you do any more (or ever). I know the main girls is 17 and all but even that is pretty 'old' by anime standards. In most other shows she'd be 15.

I like the older characters. Its refreshing.

Branduil

No ghosts though. :)

The Pilot's Love Song
CL5uDM3l.jpg

Welp, anime is now video games.

hpQEXFvl.jpg

But duckroll was right. This was Titanic for a while. Then it turns into Last Exile in episode 2, with bullshit politics and machinations and class warfare.

I guess I'll stick around for the planes, since that's what I wanted out of Yamato, but the syfy set up makes me really wary based on past experience.

Well The Princess and the Pilot was Titanic too(with added
childhood friend
anime nonsense) so it's not surprising the prequel would be.

CorvoSol

Yeah he's awesome, haven't seen much of him recently though.

It's just that when a guy like Gauron comes out of his AS and tells you to shoot him, you kinda have to at least consider that the fucker is up to something.

No good is always what Gauron is up to.

Paranoia Agent 12

Well I am never going to bed ever again.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Kuroko's Basketball Episode 6

THIS IS JAPANESE LUNCH TIME RUSH!

I'm loving the duo of Kuroko and Kagami on and off the courts.The over the top court action is nice but some character development for the rest of the team would be welcome as well.

Edit: Practice montage, oh snap!

Quasar

D-Frag 2 - Hmm. Not terrible but a bit too average for me. Think I'll drop it. I think i need more out of a club show and I don't think Kenji is enough.

Pilots Love Song 2 - Whilst hardly original, something about it is keeping me interested. Maybe just setting.

Kuroko's Basketball Episode 6

THIS IS JAPANESE LUNCH TIME RUSH!

I'm loving the duo of Kuroko and Kagami on and off the courts.The over the top court action is nice but some character development for the rest of the team would be welcome as well.

Edit: Practice montage, oh snap!

Never forgettable.
I think one thing the series does better than others is give development to the teammates even if it doesnt occur immediately.

cajunator

Banned
Buddy Complex 2
6kew9Xel.jpg

Welp, it's basically "whites" vs "browns" (Africa just gives up in the future). Except in the anime, all the "bad guys" are just white guys who are supposedly Russian. I can't believe I'm saying this, but Eureka 7 AO had more nuanced geopolitics that this show. lol

All of the stupidity of the Terminator references and whatnot are gone and now it seems to be yet another boring shounen mecha without any of the appeal of the VVV idiocy. I suppose there's a pseudo-yaoi relationship between the main character and some other lead pilot guy via the "Coupling" system, so DTL will be happy. But otherwise, I'm out.

Witchcraft Works 2
Which is also what I want to say about this show as well, given stuff like this:
ycHzjOXl.jpg

All girls want the white stuff in your body, don't you know.

But the stupid visual designs:
ddk2YQnl.jpg

And the dumb references:
q8jOcwll.jpg

w62LUIWl.jpg

Will, in the end, probably get me to at least scrub the show. Hooray for extremely lowered expectations. lol

Looks like its trying way too hard.

Here I thought that BANG was a reference to Cowboy Bebop. Heck I thought CB was the only anime to make that famous.

It was the most iconic use of the pose but hardly the only one.

I don't know where else to put this ... I work as a writer/actress at FOX and convinced them to let me do a tribute to anime. Sorry if it doesn't count as Winter 2014, but if it doesn't go here, I don't know where to put it.

This will air on TV. And is maybe the culmination of my life's work.

It's for us. For you. For me. The song of a shonen hero with the combined powers of the big anime of the last decade and a half.

Ultimate Anime Hero.

Thanks for this! You put alot of work into it and thats appreciated I assure you!

Got your back:

Wow I had no idea this was reused so many times!

Remember for every K-On figurine released a poor deserving series misses out on getting even one figurine to retail.

EDIT:
i8zmuJCf7PzOP.jpg

Most of this K-on is Banpresto stuff. Banpresto doesnt really dabble in a whole lot of obscure stuff really. they make very popular figures.

I don't know where else to put this ... I work as a writer/actress at FOX and convinced them to let me do a tribute to anime. Sorry if it doesn't count as Winter 2014, but if it doesn't go here, I don't know where to put it.

It's for us. For you. For me. The song of a shonen hero with the combined powers of the big anime of the last decade and a half.

Ultimate Anime Hero.

"He's got no powers from the dude in Bleach because Bleach is a terrible show!"

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. MY GOD. I'M CRYING. ANIME OF THE FUCKING YEAR.

Gazoinks

Ultimate Anime Hero.

Haha, this is great. :D

Fooooly cooooly :p

If somebody enjoys these, there's a bunch of videos from Fox ADHD with the same singer called Scientifically Accurate [blank]. NSFW but they're amazing, especially Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Ducktales.

Quasar

I think part of it for me is my desire to figure out the connections between it and Princess and the Pilot.

But it certainly is cliche ridden.

Jintor

Ultimate Anime Hero.

anime is saved

Ultimate Anime Hero.

Okay, this was damn amazing. That song was catchy as hell. Amazing work.

LOL at
Utena
. Hah hah. Still need to watch that some day.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Is it explicitly forbidden to advertise stuff for sale outside of the B/S/T thread? I have some anime I'm looking to unload but I've had some shitty experiences in there and I don't know how many of you read that thread anyway.

Syrinx

Is it explicitly forbidden to advertise stuff for sale outside of the B/S/T thread? I have some anime I'm looking to unload but I've had some shitty experiences in there and I don't know how many of you read that thread anyway.

You could put it in that thread and then link your post in here. Zel did that and I bought something off him.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think part of it for me is my desire to figure out the connections between it and Princess and the Pilot.

But it certainly is cliche ridden.
The movie was fine because it didn't really try to explain the world. It's just a place that existed and allowed for this "adventure" to happen. Learning about the world here doesn't really do many favours for it anyway.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
witch craft works 02
i appreciate their committal to the little sister hiding in the background across the episode.
couldn't find her in the mall though.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 1

I see there were some parts trimmed to up the pacing a bit. I found Gon's comments on Ging leaving him behind rather hilarious though.

Honestly, the one thing that could save the manga/show for me is if they dropped all pretence altogether and just made the show a sports show and just make Chihaya x Arata canon already. Have Taichi hook up with Sumire, since they basically deserve each other, and then I wouldn't care that 99% of the manga is about playing cards over and over again.

But that would violate my OTP of Hanano and Komano.

Besides, Team Taichi for life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom